• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB coach Sean Ryan presser: Sam Darnold has the arm, now they're working on feet

SBBlue

The more I watch of this kid, the more I'm impressed. I think Brady & Ryan are going to revitalize Darnold. 

In college I saw anticipation throws, him leading recievers open, accuracy, ball placement, etc. Hopefully the NFL didn't ruin his confidence completely. We just need to jog his memory a bit, protect him inside the pocket, erase the Gase influence and allow him to start fast. 

• Pie 3

Two things jumped out at me.

-They are using virtual reality to help train the qb

This makes sense because seeing a formation on film is different than seeing it from the pocket.  I would love to learn more about this.

-They are practicing  subtle movements  to stay in the pocket. 

This feels very Brady/Breeze-ish.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

I read somewhere that in Gase's offense the progressions were static and very "set". I was never sure if this was a result of Darnold's decision making or just the way Gase wanted it. Darnold wasn't allowed to audible much and so if the defense seemed prepared for the plays that were called he just had to go through the same progressions that were determined.

It seems that Brady's system (based on Ryan's comments) has a lot more moving parts and possible options that the QB has to consider pre-snap before going through his progressions (which may change based on what the situation is in game and what the defense shows).

It will be interesting to see if Darnold can manage to learn it all and put it all into effect.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Michael G said:

I read somewhere that in Gase's offense the progressions were static and very "set". I was never sure if this was a result of Darnold's decision making or just the way Gase wanted it. Darnold wasn't allowed to audible much and so if the defense seemed prepared for the plays that were called he just had to go through the same progressions that were determined.

It seems that Brady's system (based on Ryan's comments) has a lot more moving parts and possible options that the QB has to consider pre-snap before going through his progressions (which may change based on what the situation is in game and what the defense shows).

It will be interesting to see if Darnold can manage to learn it all and put it all into effect.

From what I saw last year there are lots of adjustments presnap to take advantage of what the defense is showing. So if the defense shows blitz from the right side we often adjusted the back to that side either to block or receive a dump off and sent a receiver in the slot to that side so if they blitzed he can fill the area just vacated by the Blitzer for an easy pitch and catch. Or we overload the zone going high low to give the QB choices.  Or we use the slot receiver to pick the corner and the ourside receiver is wide open on a slant. And on and on all from one shift depending on things like defensive positioning, leverage and adjustments they make post snap.

59 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

From what I saw last year there are lots of adjustments presnap to take advantage of what the defense is showing. So if the defense shows blitz from the right side we often adjusted the back to that side either to block or receive a dump off and sent a receiver in the slot to that side so if they blitzed he can fill the area just vacated by the Blitzer for an easy pitch and catch. Or we overload the zone going high low to give the QB choices.  Or we use the slot receiver to pick the corner and the ourside receiver is wide open on a slant. And on and on all from one shift depending on things like defensive positioning, leverage and adjustments they make post snap.

Exactly the QB has a lot of options and event the progressions from the same play change if not the entire play call depending on what the read is. In NY it has been reported that the QB ran the play the way it was called up and there weren't a lot of pre-snap decisions that the QB had to make. I am wondering if it was "dumbed down" because Darnold couldn't run a more complicated system or just because that was the basic ssytem there no matter the QB?

• Beer 1

Just in case someone is too lazy and jumps to conclusions, Sean Ryan says with every QB he coaches he always starts with the feet and works his way up. It's not specific for Darnold. 

I think Sean Ryan is a helluva coach and I'm glad we've got him. The way he's approaching the coaching and what he's doing with Darnold I think is really going to push him to be a really good QB. The guy will definitely have no excuses. 

• Pie 5

45 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Exactly the QB has a lot of options and event the progressions from the same play change if not the entire play call depending on what the read is. In NY it has been reported that the QB ran the play the way it was called up and there weren't a lot of pre-snap decisions that the QB had to make. I am wondering if it was "dumbed down" because Darnold couldn't run a more complicated system or just because that was the basic ssytem there no matter the QB?

I don't think knew Gase what he was doing but he sure thought he did.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Just in case someone is too lazy and jumps to conclusions, Sean Ryan says with every QB he coaches he always starts with the feet and works his way up. It's not specific for Darnold. 

That is exactly what he said in the presser.

I think Sean Ryan is a helluva coach and I'm glad we've got him. The way he's approaching the coaching and what he's doing with Darnold I think is really going to push him to be a really good QB. The guy will definitely have no excuses. 

No excuses.  Amen.

I am really hoping he won't need any.

33 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Adam Gase is a micromanager, meaning he doesn't trust anyone around him to do be able to do their job their way. There's no freedom. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is that aside from that one year with The Golden Calf of Bristol, he had never worked with or developed a young QB. All the QBs he worked with before had been old guys....Jon Kitna, Jay Cutler, Peyton Manning, Tannehill, Matt Moore, etc. 

So you've got a guy that is already a micromanager being given a super young QB (I think he was 22 at the time)...that translates into 'no way in hell is he going to let that kid make decisions'.

Did Gase limit what Darnold could do because he didn't trust Darnold? Absolutely. But that's more on Gase's inability to trust anyone to do their job.

• Pie 3