• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady Press Conference

SBBlue

44 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Snow's presser was so refreshing yesterday, seems to have the D locked in and focused. Brady, maybe he has an uphill battle with Sam and a questionable O-line but I can't imagine him getting a head coaching job anytime soon unless a team buys all the media hype. Comes off a little smug

To be fair, he set records at the college level, and ran the offense for a team last year that was in midst of total rebuild and coaching turnover, during a pandemic, that resulted in career years for the QB, back up RB, and 3 Wrs, without his most effective offensive weapon and starting LT.  We exceeded expectations, lost 8 games by less than score and came a field goal away from beating the previous SB champions who marched right back to the SB.

If he does for Darnold what he did for Burrow....

tenor.gif?itemid=7233287

• Pie 4

4 hours ago, Madwolf said:

Definitely seems like Thomas' ship has sailed with every passing week since last year. 

It was interesting he talked about Tremble as a complete TE, both blocking and receiving.  I wonder if Arnold just comes out in the RZ.

14 hours ago, Actionman0z said:

I really dislike Joe Brady. I find myself really liking Phil Snow. Before last year started I would have thought the opposite. Interesting. 

Just the opposite for me Brady scheme attacks the defense and was aggressive if Teddy had thrown it downfield. Snow came in talking about an aggressive defense and then installed a terrible prevent defense that minimized our talent instead of maximized it. Brady needs to.improve his playcalling but Snow needs to show he knows how to install an effective defensive scheme. So far he hasn't come close.

11 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Snow's presser was so refreshing yesterday, seems to have the D locked in and focused. Brady, maybe he has an uphill battle with Sam and a questionable O-line but I can't imagine him getting a head coaching job anytime soon unless a team buys all the media hype. Comes off a little smug

Snow is a great interview and talks a great game. I hope the results actual reflect what he says he is going to do unlike last year. He has all the talent he needs and has a year of experience as a DC. Hopefully we play a much more aggressive scheme this year with much better results. It is embarrassing watching your defense bend until they break and realizing you haven't made the other team punt the ball but once or twice all game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/02/panthers-coverage-rates-conservative-phil-snow/amp/

The viking game was just one of several that the defense gave up because they couldn't stop anyone. 

I don't really see the Snow is a big talker angle at all. He's just a guy who loves coaching and answers questions pretty honestly without giving out too much. 

That unit overachieved given the circumstances. I assume they don't need to be listed again.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 1

49 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We went from the 31st ranked scoring D to the 18th rank scoring D after losing a ton of vets including our only good CB and a HOF LB. We had rookies all over the place.

So true.   Everyone was worried about the D, especially with Luke and Bradberry gone and the decimation for the Dline.

The D exceeded expectations.  The O did not.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Man, do you just pick sides to be contrarian? We went from the 31st ranked scoring D to the 18th rank scoring D after losing a ton of vets including our only good CB and a HOF LB. We had rookies all over the place. Snow did really well with what he had and maybe it was conservative because our secondary outside of Chinn was trash and we had so many young guys. 

Also, funny how you blame the Vikings game on the D when our D outscored the offense 14-13 and Minnesota’s D was one of the worst in the league (29th to our 18th). The D gave up a net 14 points and the offense could only muster 13.

Our D broke down at times because it was a major rehaul and extremely young but it’s laughable to put blame on the D for the Vikings game since the O should have shut the door on any comeback but couldn’t muster more than 6 points in the 2nd half against the 29th ranked scoring D. Our O (thanks Teddy), wasn’t any better than Kyle Allen was, but our D stepped up, showed a lot of promise and as we saw very often put the O in a chance to win the game only to lose.

Not being a contrarian at all just pointing out the realities of what I saw.  The offensive scheme was solid but the offensive play was poor largely due to Teddy not throwing the ball. But the defensive scheme was not solid at all nor was the play. Our zone was passive not attacking and we didn't even blitz to help the secondary. We left poor defenders out there with no support.  The whole we went from really bad to 18th in areas like total yards is what I would expect a casual fan to say. It shows a lack of understanding about situational versus global stats. We went for example from 21st in 2019 to 31st in 3rd down conversions allowed in 2020. Sacks we went from 2nd in 2019 to 21st in 2020. Note I didn't even include passing defense given how young and inexperienced we were.

But no the defense didn't help out the offense and given they couldn't stop anyone often limited our chances to score given they didn't get on the field. The offense helped the defense by sustaining drives and giving the defense decent field position being 9th in time of possession in 2020 versus  23rd in 2019.  And on and on. What you called contrarian I called seeing it like it is. I have great hope for Snow but I am in the show me crowd.

Edited by panthers55

Just now, panthers55 said:

Our zone was passive not attacking and we didn't even blitz to help the secondary. We left poor defenders out there with no support.  The while we went from really bad to 18th in areas like total yards is what I would expect a casual fan to say.

True, we played that soft zone without blitzing, but it wasn't because we didn't want to.   We didn't have the talent to play man.  If you blitz with a corner or lb, there's a hole in the zone, you often play man. 

We now have the talent to do more tight man, which means more blitzs and tighter coverage.  

If Snow keeps us in the soft zone without blitzing THIS year, I will agree with you.  But I wouldn't have put Pride, Douglas or Elder on an island.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Ace420 said:

Fine by me as i would like to keep him around longer.

I'm hoping Snow at his age, isn't interested in HC.  He's followed Rhule from stop to stop.  If we pay him well, I hope he'll stay.

Brady on the other hand will probably be gone this season.  He interviewed last season, is a very hot name.  He's young and ambitions.  Had we hit it out of the park last year, he would be gone.

I guess there really was a silver lining with Teddy.