• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady Press Conference

SBBlue

3 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

True, we played that soft zone without blitzing, but it wasn't because we didn't want to.   We didn't have the talent to play man.  If you blitz with a corner or lb, there's a hole in the zone, you often play man. 

We now have the talent to do more tight man, which means more blitzs and tighter coverage.  

If Snow keeps us in the soft zone without blitzing THIS year, I will agree with you.  But I wouldn't have put Pride, Douglas or Elder on an island.

But the point is our zone defense was poor as well. Look and see how many times receivers would find huge holes in the zone and instead of closing to attack the man once he comes into the zone our guys sat there and waited for the ball to be thrown before reacting. Even zones have man to.man responsibilities once a guy comes into their area. And let's be real. In today's NFL you have to use multiple stunts and disguise rushes and coverages or you get eaten alive. And zone coverage demands a pass rush not 3 guys rushing straight ahead and sending a linebacker from 10 yards away on a delayed blitz. That is a poor scheme regardless of the personnel. We were more effective when we did send pressure so I disagree that we had no choice but to play prevent. We played passive between the 20s and tightened up in the redzone. Yeah you can argue you can cover tighter given the restricted space so we could take more chances but if it worked then why not make that our dominant scheme? I can't agree that playing passively worked better than being aggressive. Show me numbers to show I am wrong.

When McDermott got here our defense in year 1 was pretty poor and we struggled with young and inexperienced guys. But we ran a more aggressive scheme and lived and died by the big play and had lots of missed assignments. But we got better over time and improved. The scheme stayed the same because it is hard to go from passive to aggressive. It is a different mindset. I hear lots of we are going to be aggressive and have a hell of a pass rush. I dearly hope so. I love aggressive football aka Jim Johnson and think we have the personnel to run that scheme.  I hope we don't see anymore of the prevent defense which is what his 3-5-3 is. A college scheme that got picked apart last year. I know I am in the minority but it doesn't mean I am wrong. I will become Snow's biggest disciple if we run an aggressive scheme this year and play great. But this is the NFL so there are no excuses. And you need to maximize your personnel and show improvement.. Once teams got film on Snow it seemed we looked worse not better and didn't really change all year. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

But the point is our zone defense was poor as well.

I agree.  You may be right that he should have trusted Edler, Corn and Pride more in man coverage because our zone was so bad, but what Snow did is the conventional logic.   

If you are outmanned, you don't play man.   

I will become Snow's biggest disciple if we run an aggressive scheme this year and play great.

I look forward to it, because I'm pretty sure that is exactly what he plans to do.  Look at the selections we've made on D.  We want to blitz, we want press man.  I found it funny when the draft analysts said Horn wasn't a fit because we didn't play man.  Its the other way around, we got Horn so we can.

And let's be clear I don't give Brady or Rhule a pass either. Brady playcalling was predictable and I didn't see much progression as the year unfolded which is what you would expect given limited offseason and no training camp. I loved his scheme but he needs to get better too. 

I love Rhules drafts and like his culture development but things like clock management and when to challenge were baffling at times.

I am optimistic for the future and realize that they were all in new positions for the first time. Hopefully they all grow and develop immensely. But a turd is a turd no matter how much you polish it. Last year was bad. This year we have better personnel. Now with better execution and playcalling along with an evolved scheme we should have better results. As a Panther fan what else would you want. I hope we are top 10 on both offense and defense this year because we are due.  I guess I should focus less on the past and more on the present and future.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Brady playcalling was predictable and I didn't see much progression as the year unfolded

Fair...but as bad as it was it was compounded by talent and injuries

... I loved his scheme but he needs to get better too. 

Oh yes.

I love Rhules drafts and like his culture development but things like clock management and when to challenge were baffling at times.

I hated his draft until I loved it.  I didn't like the Horn pick or the trading down.  The more I read about the logic, the more I'm bought in.

Last year was bad.

Yes.

I guess I should focus less on the past and more on the present and future.

Here's to hope.

• Pie 2

On 6/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, SBBlue said:

Yeah, I remember in Thomas's presser he talked about difficulty learning the new system last year with covid and zoom...so maybe it is all mental mistakes and not mastering the offense.

Improvise, adapt, overcome

On 6/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, bythenbrs said:

Improvise, adapt, overcome

Yeah it doesn't look good though.

If we keep 3 TE's, which we did last year, he might make the roster.  Rhule is about culture and I don't think trotting the penalty lap fits into that.

• Pie 1