• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top Offensive Play Callers

SBBlue

12 hours ago, panthers55 said:

For me you have to separate scheme from playcalling. His scheme was top 5 but his playcalling was meh.  The scheme did allow the offense to attack the defense. Bridgewater was just too timid to maximize it. I cam imagine Brady watching film with Teddy pointing out all of the downfield options he routinely ignored. But actually calling the right play for the situation  or coaching up the qb to do what he needs to do was lacking at times and didn't improve as the season went along.

Well said.  

Brady knows how to scheme up a good O.  But he has to develop as a play caller.  Takes time and reps (like a player). 

14 hours ago, Verge said:

This list is sily. 

1. Andy Reid/Eric Bieniemy
2. Kyle Shannahan 
3. Sean McVay 
4. Sean Payton
5. Brian Daboll 
6. Greg Roman 
7. Bruce Arians/Byron Leftwich 
8. Matt Lafleur 
9. Josh McDaniels
10. Frank Reich 
11. Arthur Smith
12. Kellen Moore

Our boy is good and young, but he is not a top 10 guy right now. He will probably get there, but you can't put him above guys like Shannahan, Payton, Roman, etc etc 

I'm not so sure about Greg Roman.

There's a perception in the national media that Joe Brady is an offensive guru, even if the performance is not there to back it up from 2020.  I think he's the right man for the job, but he's being overrated at this point.  

Edited by NAS
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would add that play calling is only about half the story. Play design is an equally large part of a successful offense.

Sean Payton and Andy Reid both get extremely high marks in that department.

Reid’s play design historically has been better than his play calling.  Especially in the Philly days where he would forget he had a talented RB in Westbrook.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Reid’s play design historically has been better than his play calling.  Especially in the Philly days where he would forget he had a talented RB in Westbrook.

That depends on whether you're talking about regular season or postseason, and whether you're talking about the past or the present.

Reid has always been brilliant in the regular season but his teams tended to fold in the playoffs. That changed last year.

Now some might argue that it went back to normal this year but I don't blame Reid for the Super Bowl loss because his team was banged up.

2 hours ago, NAS said:

There's a perception in the national media that Joe Brady is an offensive guru, even if the performance is not there to back it up from 2020.  I think he's the right man for the job, but he's being overrated at this point.  

Career years for the QB, 3 WRs and a back up RB with a shambles of line and the starting LT out for most of the season.

Overall his scheme and playcalling raised player's level of play and resulted in the higher pff.

Was he top 5...well...probably not.