• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Linebackers

OceanPanther

11 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

I’m expecting rushing the passer on the line mixed in with some coverage stunts in blitz packages

Yeah- I Think Reddick will usually be a stand up OLB/Edge Rusher in odd fronts. That's his niche. If he's in with the 4-3 Base packages he'll be blitzing from the SAM.

4 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

We need linebackers badly. I wanted Jarrad Davis. He landed to the Jets really quick for a cheap contract. I wanted Parsons, Owusu, Bolton, Surratt or Cox. We passed up on every single one of them. Hell, Moses was an udfa. Rhule is chicken crap.

If you are in love with wasting 1st round picks on off-ball LBs maybe you should change fanbases. The WFT still likes reaching for LBs in the first round. I'm sure you would fit in around there.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Lets face it folks:

Kuechly, Morgan, Mills, Witherspoon, Davis, Beason---

Ya think we might be a bit spoiled?

Are you actually asking the Huddle to be honest in their player evaluations? Got your bullet proof vest on? lol

Edited by iamhubby1
  • Pie 2

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Lets face it folks:

Kuechly, Morgan, Mills, Witherspoon, Davis, Beason---

Ya think we might be a bit spoiled?

Yes we have been spoiled, but you don't need great LBs to be successful. You need guys that are willing to tackle and one of them needs to be able to cover. If we had better safeties Chinn could fill the coverage LB role.

We definitely don't need LBs that are being compensated like they play LT. 

Edited by PootieNunu

If you look at start of 2020 compared to right now, I believe LB flipped form being the 2020 best to 2021 worst. It also depends on where Chinn is playing each given snap. Honestly its a good thing with the flip, it shows the panthers efforts to improve D as a whole(they have) and LB is one of the least valued groups. 

LB, along with OL and QB should be the focused spots to improve during the next off-season. 

I will never understand why the Huddle refuses to acknowledge that Shaq Thompson is a solid LB. It's like they still want him to be Luke or TD instead of appreciating what he does for the team (like not missing tackles: only YGM + Corn Elder had a lower missed tackle %).

Hopefully Perryman can stay healthy. I think that'll be the biggest factor for the starters.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

As to the original question, am I concerned about the position, the answer is yes.  Part of that is still shell shock from watching out LB corps not perform well the last two seasons (Whitehead was a void last year and our flirtation with the 3-4 the prior year and a DL that could not protect the LBs).  Am I shaking my head as much as I did late last year?  No.  Whitehead became addition by subtraction.

Shaq looked better as the year progressed, as did the rest of the defense.  I think he also was dragged down some by playing next to Whitehead.

I think this could well be the weak spot in the defense, but if the line approaches the level we hope and the secondary is as improved as we hope, being the weakest of the three is not exactly an insult.  That said, I expect the group will perform better than they did last year.

• Beer 1