• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kicker Joey Slye Press Conference

SBBlue

Give it up for the panthers decision makers on this= they had three kickers in Butker, Gano, and Slye. They choose the worst one, great job guys!! SB winning kicker on a cheap 4 year deal, nah(do I need to say in just 3 years hes 2nd ALL-time in kick %). Proven Gano that lead the league in touchbacks(panthers had the poorest kick team during this FYI), among the league leaders in kick % for a few years, nah plus bad take fan gave him hate. So who is leftd? Sourbunns armed guy that has a strong but not accurate leg...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

His issues are between his ears. Sometimes that gets fixed, sometimes it doesn't.

Usually for kickers, once that goes(or if you just don't have it) there isn't usually a recovery. Like pro golfers that suddenly get the yips and never recover.

Your gold analogy doesn't work.

Are you aware that Bernhard Langer suffered from the yips for a long period, then cured them with mental exercises such as Slye is referencing, and has become the most successful senior golfer in history.  Look it up

I posted last week that visualization and positive thinking can work for athletes of all sports, and it appears Slye is working hard on that approach.

We should expect vast improvement.

• Beer 1

Just now, bigdavis said:

Are you aware that Bernhard Langer suffered from the yips for a long period, then cured them with mental exercises such as Slye is referencing, and has become the most successful senior golfer in history.  Look it up

I posted last week that visualization and positive thinking can work for athletes of all sports, and it appears Slye is working hard on that approach.

first line should read golf, not gold.

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Give it up for the panthers decision makers on this= they had three kickers in Butker, Gano, and Slye. They choose the worst one, great job guys!! SB winning kicker on a cheap 4 year deal, nah(do I need to say in just 3 years hes 2nd ALL-time in kick %). Proven Gano that lead the league in touchbacks(panthers had the poorest kick team during this FYI), among the league leaders in kick % for a few years, nah plus bad take fan gave him hate. So who is leftd? Sourbunns armed guy that has a strong but not accurate leg...

Yeah, that was a miss.  

But how were they to know?  I remember people being frustrated with Gano as well.  I really thought they would choose Butker.  Oh well.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

David Duval and Ian Baker Finch say hi.

12 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yeah, that was a miss.  

But how were they to know?  I remember people being frustrated with Gano as well.  I really thought they would choose Butker.  Oh well.

The frustration with Gano was honestly pretty stupid. He was a very good NFL kicker.

Slye is unlikely to develop into an average NFL kicker, IMO. I think next year we will be looking a lot harder at that position in free agency. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The frustration with Gano was honestly pretty stupid. He was a very good NFL kicker.

Slye is unlikely to develop into an average NFL kicker, IMO. I think next year we will be looking a lot harder at that position in free agency. 

The frustration with Gano was due to a couple of things.  I think people turned on him when he nailed the upright after the first drive of the second half in that dreaded game against Denver.  Of course, the fact that one of the end rushers was very offsides and it was not called didn't help, but I don't know if he actually saw that.

The second was his contract.  Shaq, meet Graham.  Graham, Shaq. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

David Duval and Ian Baker Finch say hi.

I refer to him as Baker-Flinch 😂

Nicest guy in the world but his fall was truly stunning...  

Problem was he decided his already world class golf swing wasn't good enough and in a search for distance made some drastic changes and was never able to go back.  

If Slye isn't totally f***ing with his mechanics I'd have to believe the odds are low he'll go the way of Flinch.  

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I defended him like crazy, same for Bradberry. During Ganos time here the kickoff coverage team was the worst in the NFL, Gano minimized their involvement. Yea he did have injuries later on, but just proved to be over them at least for the past year. ugh, never got the blind hate for either...hell Shaq is getting their too. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I defended him like crazy, same for Bradberry. During Ganos time here the kickoff coverage team was the worst in the NFL, Gano minimized their involvement. Yea he did have injuries later on, but just proved to be over them at least for the past year. ugh, never got the blind hate for either...hell Shaq is getting their too. 

I did too. I never understood the hatred for the guy at all. He evened out his game losing kicks with crazy game winners. The most I could criticize about him was he was bound to whiff 2-3 XP's a season.

Other than that, he was a very good kicker. We have missed him since he was gone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Basbear said:

He was there when we needed him, like every time in 2015.  Later, after he made the record setter against the giants, he missed a couple important ones and people turn on him hard.  It was bullsht.  Then he got hurt.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I did too. I never understood the hatred for the guy at all. He evened out his game losing kicks with crazy game winners. The most I could criticize about him was he was bound to whiff 2-3 XP's a season.

Other than that, he was a very good kicker. We have missed him since he was gone.

Am I wrong in thinking Gano had one year were he only missed one or two FGs for the whole year and big brained huddlers STILL complain?.... EVEN when youd bring up he only missed one FG for the year?? He did miss a couple/few XP that year, but going like 35/36 in FGs and still get pissy, my god....why?!?!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Am I wrong in thinking Gano had one year were he only missed one or two FGs for the whole year and big brained huddlers STILL complain?.... EVEN when youd bring up he only missed one FG for the year?? He did miss a couple/few XP that year, but going like 35/36 in FGs and still get pissy, my god....why?!?!

Yeah, I think it was the year to do it too, 2015!

• Beer 3

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Here was there when we needed him, like every time in 2015.  Later, after he made the record setter against the giants, he missed a couple important ones and people turn on him hard.  It was bullsht.  Then he got hurt.

You are right. One of my fellow friends that our whole friendship was the panthers, after missing that Denver game winning FG he completely was done with Gano. He did care and would not change his mind after that happened. To him it was like taking back a woman who cheated on you, he was 100% over, no going back, and wanted nothing more with them.