• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephon Gilmore?

NAS

1 hour ago, CRA said:

He seems like a win now rental.  Which isn’t us. 

Not that i disagree with what others are saying, but you add him to this D and that looks like a playoff defense, if it isnt already. That said, I say remain patient. 

• Pie 1

Stephon Gilmore, the 2019 defensive player of the year, certainly brings superior cornerback skills to the table . However, Gilmore turns 31 on September 19; he could be on the verge of seeing his abilities begin to diminish.

Last year, the Patriots moved $4.5 million of Gilmore’s 2021 salary to 2020. Typically, that results in the player getting a new deal in lieu of playing for a reduced salary in the following year. And the Patriots seem to be willing to do something with Gilmore’s contract; however, if it was enough from Gilmore’s perspective the deal would be done.

A trade presumably is on the table for Gilmore. A new team would have to be willing to pay Gilmore what he wants, too and to satisfy the Patriots with an appropriate trade offer.

4 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

Stephon Gilmore, the 2019 defensive player of the year, certainly brings superior cornerback skills to the table . However, Gilmore turns 31 on September 19; he could be on the verge of seeing his abilities begin to diminish.

Last year, the Patriots moved $4.5 million of Gilmore’s 2021 salary to 2020. Typically, that results in the player getting a new deal in lieu of playing for a reduced salary in the following year. And the Patriots seem to be willing to do something with Gilmore’s contract; however, if it was enough from Gilmore’s perspective the deal would be done.

A trade presumably is on the table for Gilmore. A new team would have to be willing to pay Gilmore what he wants, too and to satisfy the Patriots with an appropriate trade offer.

That is the thing. If Gilmore wants a trade to get a multi-year big contract it sure won't be here. Now if he doesn't get traded he will sign with the Patriots for a 1 year deal and cash in next year when the cap goes way up. He is just asking for a trade to see what interest he can get from other teams.  It should be interesting to see how this develops but I don't see us being a player in that market. 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, having some key vets to mentor our younger players would be nice but spending a bunch of coin on a guy on his way out of the league is, as was stated in this thread already, a very Rivera/Hurney move.

Roll with what we have now. If our offseason was a success, awesome. Keep building. If it was a failure, back to the drawing board in the 2022 offseason to figure out how to keep getting better.

No dumb cap moves, no lengthy free agent deals, no bad trades for vets. None of that.

Can I play Devils advocate?  K. 😉

Next year our cap opens up and we have a considerable amount no?

What if  knowing the books will clear next offseason, they use this year as a one shot deal to try and make a run?

Cooky stuff but fun af to think about. 
A couple one year rentals.  What’s the worst that could happen? Our 4th consecutive losing season? 

What. ever. would. we. do?

4 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

What if  knowing the books will clear next offseason, they use this year as a one shot deal to try and make a run?

A couple one year rentals.  What’s the worst that could happen? Our 4th consecutive losing season? 

Absolutely not. 

That is prime Hurney thinking.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Don't see us going all in at this point. If we underachieve this year you might be right about next year but right now I don't see an all in season yet.

17 hours ago, mcsmoak said:

We just drafted the best Gamecock corner of all time, why would we give up assets and pay a large contract to Gilmore

I mean, Horn is a very nice prospect.   

Best Gamecock corner of all time? Nah.