• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honestly curious: How many players on our roster can you name without looking?

KB_fan

Hey all, I'm genuinely curious about something.  I'd love for others to take 10 minutes to try and write a list of everyone on the Panthers 90 man roster right now.  Wondering what the average number of players is that other Huddlers can name.

I'm not sure whether it's age / tiredness, post-Covid brain fog, or just all the turnover and youth of our roster with so few guys who've played for the Panthers for more than 1-2 seasons (probably some combo of all of the above).  But I'm really struggling with remembering the names of a lot of the players.

Today for fun, I tried to make a list and I could name 50 (and a couple of those I struggled with).  And the weird thing is that those 50 I could remember are not even necessarily the top 50 most likely to make the roster.  It includes all the drafted rookies (whose names are a bit fresher in my mind from recent weeks) and a few others perhaps unlikely to make the team. There are a bunch of guys who were on the team last year and likely to make the roster that I totally forgot.

Hoping that somehow I'll start feeling more connected to this roster.  So many guys I'm still just "who's that?" when I see his name (like today's practice report about an interception by JT Ibe.  I'm like "Who? Never heard that name".

Are others in the same boat?

• Beer 6

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Probably a pretty high percentage, but I look at the roster a lot.

There are an awful lot of new guys though. Hard part for me is remembering what numbers go with what names.

Yikes.  I'd do even worse with numbers.  I guess I might be able to get 15-20 numbers correct AT BEST. (Players changing numbers and the NFL changing the rules about which position groups can have what numbers doesn't help either!! LOL).

6 minutes ago, tecc86 said:

The starters and the relevant backups

Don't really care to remember players that won't see the field anymore

It's a valid perspective.  But I'm thinking that beyond the top 45 or so guys, there's still quite a number of open spots on the roster and real competition, especially on offense (at least 2-3 spots on the OL, a back up RB, maybe 2-3 WRs), and also maybe at safety and at least 1 spot on the D line, that makes knowing at least the top 60 - 65 guys worthwhile. I find it more fun following training camp if the guys are more than just names I barely know.  

I'm sure that I'll never be able to rattle off all 90 names any time soon.  If I get to 65 that I can remember and be a bit knowledgeable about, I'll feel I'm doing well.  Gone are the days when we were returning a very high percentage of our prior season's 53 man roster and there were fewer new guys to get to know. 

• Pie 1

Out of the 90 roster, 50+ I believe. But just like Scot, I look at the roster waaay too much, same for sportac and over-the-cap. I also keep up with the practice squad, way beyond what a normal fan should as well. 

Edited by Basbear

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Almost none of the camp body signings. Probably a large percentage of the top 50-60.

I'll actually try this: 

QB: Darnold, Walker, Grier

RB: CMC, Chubba Hubbard, Bonnafon?

FB: Some UDFA kid?

TE: Tremble, Arnold, Thomas

WR: DJ, Robby, Shi Smith, David Moore?, the LSU kid who's name is on the tip of my tongue, a couple of JAGS from last season

OL: Irving, Elflein, Daley, Little, Moton, Paradis, Moore, Brown, Christensen, Miller, 

K/P/LS: Slye, fug I forget the punters name now, JJ Jansen, the 6th round kid from Bama

DE/EDGE: Burns, YGM, Haynes, Reddick, 

DT: Brown, Jones, Fox, Roy, Nixon, some other rookie DT I am forgetting 

LB: Miller, Shaq, Perryman, the UNC kid

S: Chinn, Burris, 

CB: Horn, Jackson, Bouye, Taylor, Pride

So, 42. A little less than I thought but about 5-6 I am just seeing faces and not remembering names.

• Pie 2