• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The ugly lineup

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So if Christensen is not in the mix at left tackle, that means our current options are Erving, Daley, Scott and Little.

Gotta admit I'd feel a lot more comfortable if Taylor Moton has a legitimate shot at that role.

all this makes me think we extend moton and have him play LT while the rest of our tackles have an open competition for RT/backup. It just makes sense and is for the best. Dont want some JAG opening the season at LT and darnold getting killed.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm starting to feel like Christensen probably will spend his first year as a backup.

The bigger question right now might be who he's going to be backing up.

With what Rhule said yesterday, and today...I'd say he's a backup to Moton at R. 

Left will be Erving, Scott, Daley.  Wow did not see that coming. 

If this plays out as it appears and  Erving is the front runner, not depth.  I will have been wrong on all counts.

Crow is warming up on the stove, and they don't even have pads on yet.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

I'm worried that Erving will end up like Okung, out with injury for a large part of the season.

Historically Erving is just not as good a player as Okung, even when healthy.  He'd have to step up.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

In his post practice presser, Coach Matt Rhule said the team views rookie tackle Brady Christensen's best fit as being at right tackle. He added that Christensen can also slide inside to guard, but he prefers him at the tackle spot.

Obviously, the team already has a starter in that role. However, Rhule also referred to Taylor Moton as "a guy who can flip-flop" between the tackle spots. Mentioned elsewhere that this makes me think they're gaining more confidence in his ability to play on the left.

Rhule also reiterated today what he had previously said regarding Cam Erving, that he's primarily slotted as a left tackle right now. Erving hasn't been able to practice there due to an injury though. Hence, why other guys are getting looks.

One of those guys is Dennis Daley. Previous expectation was that he'd be looked at primarily at guard this year, but it's starting to sound less and less like that's the case.

Definitely sounds like the lineup on the OL is getting some different looks. Might not be so easy to predict what it's ultimately going to look like come week one.

who called RT for Christensen? This guy. Sounds like what he's saying is he has absolutely no idea who is going to play LT and someone needs to step up. Not looking good.

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Given the fact Moton is currently slated to play under the franchise tag I’d understand if Moton wanted to stay at RT so he can secure his big payday. 

But if they’re able to lock Moton up in the next few weeks then there’s a lot less risk involved for him with trying out LT.

I also believe Moton is looking for LT type money so yah…

The bigger pay day is if he proves he can play LT in the NFL. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd rather keep Moton at RT and let Christensen battle Cam Erving for LT. 

At least LT is a position the rookie already knows well.  

Yeah, that is what I tought would happen.

Its early.

• Pie 1

The daily OT line ups are going to be one of the top two story lines out of camp.  (Along, of course, with the obvious story of how Darnold looks each day!)

I've been opining on Twitter that Rhule's comments today make me nervous for Moton's future.  Are they grooming Christensen to replace him and plan to let Moton walk after this season?  I SERIOUSLY hope not.  I know there's a salary cap and we can't pay every guy, but it's getting so frustrating to have guys we drafted and developed and who have excelled walk out the door so frequently.  Especially with Samir here, and Fitterer, I'm hopeful we'll have better cap management and that pattern will begin to change.  Moton has earned a second contract and the Panthers would be better as a franchise if they reward him, especially since the assumption is that Paradis will be gone next year.  It really helps to have veteran leadership (not just years in the league, but years with the coaching staff and on the team, knowing the offense) on the line.  Moton is already a key part of that and would only be more so next year.

I'm willing to consider Moton could be our best LT at the moment, and a switch could work, but by no means sold on that fact.  And Along with others above, I think Moton would be CRAZY to make that switch unless the team has already locked him up long term.  Too much could go wrong for him in terms of lower-level play.  A big part of me is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

"We want you to play LT while we pay you like a RT."

Hey, I hope it works out. That'd be sweet.

News flash. Moton is getting left tackle money or he will play under the tag and get his payday somewhere else. I figure Rhule knows that if you're going to.pay left tackle money then why not play him there as well if he can.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1