• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on quarterback preparation

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, if you check out Darnold's highlight reels, you'll find he's perfectly capable of running.

(given how bad the Jets were, he got plenty of practice)

He's just not necessarily somebody you call a bunch of designed runs for.

Are you being serious or are you responding to the joke with a joke?

I mean, can we not all agree that this is both, a good way to find out what your QB is made of? While also giving you an idea on just how much of the Offense you can feed him?

Put your players in position to fail, to give yourself an idea of what they need to succeed.

Damm, it just may be crazy enough to work.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Agree with those who say Rhule is throwing the book at him now while he has time to absorb everything between Minicamp and the start of training camp. Throw it all him and let him get further into the playbook after minicamp. If you drop back pass you go through your progressions and see your guys run the route tree. That is invaluable when you start training camp. Then you can design plays that play to the QBs strengths once he has mastered the playbook. And you can develop and expand the playbook much faster and develop plays for every receiver based on their chemistry with Sam. But if Darnold doesn't know the playbook up and down he holds back the development of the whole offense.

And his stats say that he doesn't really make good decisions from a clean pocket. The best way to attempt to fix that is rep after rep in that situation. He needs to be forced to go through progressions over and over and over. That way we can hopefully coach him on the right and wrong decisions he is making.

As much hate as we piled on Teddy, he was very capable of finding guys open quickly. It's just that it typically was someone within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quoting from today's presser via The Athletic...

“We have purposely taken the approach of developing Sam – and all of our quarterbacks this spring – as a drop-back passer and put a lot on them,” said Rhule, the Panthers’ second-year coach. “More than most teams will probably do with a quarterback – more than probably the coaches are comfortable with.

“But for me it’s about just putting so much on those guys — not giving them a bunch of easy plays where they can go out and feel confident and look good,” Rhule added. “Our defense is giving us a lot of different looks. So I want to stretch those guys and see what they do well and then we can be more targeted in training camp and into the season.”

The first part of that statement interests me, specifically the part about developing their quarterbacks as "drop back passers".

Neither Bridgewater nor Darnold would rightly be seen as big run threats (neither are statues either, but still). And of course, the team passed on drafting a quarterback who was.

It makes me wonder if Rhule and/or Brady aren't necessarily concerned with superior athleticism at the quarterback position. You'll note he talks a lot about mental preparation here, but physical...not so much.

Arguing against that idea though is the fact that the team seems extremely interested in athleticism at pretty much every other position. With that said though, there are plenty of successful teams whose quarterbacks aren't amazing athletes (including the one that captured last year's Super Bowl trophy).

So is this an indicator of Rhule's QB philosophy or just an emphasis they have right now?

I think you’re reading into his comments too much. To me it sounds like he wants to observe what breaks down in a specific play call. There’s so many variables of why a QB scrambles; Failing to read coverage/blitz, OL issues, WR route or QB in general.

Interesting approach.  Putting a lot on them now also gives coaches the ability to dissect the weaknesses.  Target where and when the breakdown occurs.   If Rhule can find thosek points they can start correcting them.  I don’t think it’s as simple as saying “do this instead of that” but it might lead to more situational awareness and achieve a better outcome.  By that I mean what would have been an INT from old Sam is now a throw away or a sack for new Sam.  Clean that up a little and your QB is suddenly protecting the football better and more consistently.  Could mean a lot over a 17 game season.  

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

“We have purposely taken the approach of developing Sam – and all of our quarterbacks this spring – as a drop-back passer and put a lot on them,” said Rhule, the Panthers’ second-year coach. “More than most teams will probably do with a quarterback – more than probably the coaches are comfortable with.

“But for me it’s about just putting so much on those guys — not giving them a bunch of easy plays where they can go out and feel confident and look good,” Rhule added. “Our defense is giving us a lot of different looks. So I want to stretch those guys and see what they do well and then we can be more targeted in training camp and into the season.”

The first part of that statement interests me, specifically the part about developing their quarterbacks as "drop back passers".

Neither Bridgewater nor Darnold would rightly be seen as big run threats (neither are statues either, but still). And of course, the team passed on drafting a quarterback who was.

It makes me wonder if Rhule and/or Brady aren't necessarily concerned with superior athleticism at the quarterback position. You'll note he talks a lot about mental preparation here, but physical...not so much.

Arguing against that idea though is the fact that the team seems extremely interested in athleticism at pretty much every other position. With that said though, there are plenty of successful teams whose quarterbacks aren't amazing athletes (including the one that captured last year's Super Bowl trophy).

So is this an indicator of Rhule's QB philosophy or just an emphasis they have right now?

How very dare you. Darnold has a 50 yard TD run in the NFL. Does Fields have one of those? I think not.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Bostonheelfish said:

Pure drop back passer may not be his preferred QB, but it seems to be the way he prefers the QBs currently on our roster to look like.

You have to be able to win from the pocket. Everything else is gravy.

Darnold has the mobility / ability to make plays outside of the pocket and off platform, but that can't be his bread and butter if we want him to be a success in the NFL.

• Flames 1

Because Darnold was one of the absolute worst passers with a clean pocket over the past 3 seasons. You could blame this on shitty oline play that even with a clean pocket he was gun shy but this is the truth. I like this approach from Rhule. Throw it all at him see how he responds.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think you are reading entirely too much in to a mini camp drill.

The biggest question is how the O-Line does .  We need to settle on who plays as a unit .  We have several options but players need to adjust who is playing on each side of them .  Our O-Line will determine how well Sam plays .