• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on quarterback preparation

Mr. Scot

Rhule is breaking him down to build him back up. I think it's that simple. I don't think it's some grand proclamation as to the type of QB we like. We already know that everyone, including Rhule, wants a QB who is apt in all circumstances, especially in and from the pocket. That's where a QB's bread and butter is made for the long haul, and it just may be Sam's biggest weakness because of the way he was taught (or not) and what he had to face while a Jet. 

Rhule will evaluate how Sam is doing--hopefully improving and learning, and concentrate on putting Sam in positions to succeed once he determines Sam's strengths and weaknesses within the context of what we'd like him to do on Sundays. 

Rhule said the Panthers want Darnold to be more mobile in the pocket and make plays with his feet.

That’s different than what the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder endured playing with the Jets, where he was considered more of a drop-back, pocket passer.

“He comes from a different system (with the Jets) where they were kind of static, and we’re more of a move up-in-the-pocket, slide-in-the-pocket, throw-in-rhythm type of a team,” Rhule said. “We don’t really want him holding the ball. We want him to play in progression and play in timing. And that’s new to him.”

Said Darnold: “If an edge rusher comes through or someone comes unblocked I am going to try to make him miss and makes plays that way.”

• Pie 1