• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers minicamp observations and such

Zod

Topic: Greg Little and Tommy Tremble.

I feel as if this is Littles last chance to prove he is capable at a starter role. He has struggled to prove to be anything but decent depth. Has he improved in anyway this offseason or is it to early to tell? Also where is he lining up? Tommy Tremble is a blocking freak. Will Panthers use him as a hybrid FB/TE now that Alex is with the Saints? Will Carolina utilize 22 personnel this season more often than not?

4 minutes ago, Keeppoundinglegacy11 said:

Topic: Greg Little and Tommy Tremble.

I feel as if this is Littles last chance to prove he is capable at a starter role. He has struggled to prove to be anything but decent depth. Has he improved in anyway this offseason or is it to early to tell? Also where is he lining up? Tommy Tremble is a blocking freak. Will Panthers use him as a hybrid FB/TE now that Alex is with the Saints? Will Carolina utilize 22 personnel this season more often than not?

I think Little has already proven he's not capable of a starter role.

Hell, I couldn't even guarantee he's depth at this point. Wouldn't bet much on him making the team.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I don't know about that. He's been a project that's for sure but if I know anything about the majority of Panthers fans is that they are extremely pessimistic and impatient. I've seen second round lineman struggle their first couple of years and slowly pick up their game and become viable and flourish in different systems. Remember we just got Bradys and Rhule last year. Last year was a covid year no offseason. I'd not freak out and be so judgmental just yet. I believe Little has a chance to beat out Cam Erving. I'm more curious on what they will do with Brady Christensen if anything. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think Little has already proven he's not capable of a starter role.

Hell, I couldn't even guarantee he's depth at this point. Wouldn't bet much on him making the team.

•  

I don't know about that. He's been a project that's for sure but if I know anything about the majority of Panthers fans is that they are extremely pessimistic and impatient. I've seen second round lineman struggle their first couple of years and slowly pick up their game and become viable and flourish in different systems. Remember we just got Bradys and Rhule last year. Last year was a covid year no offseason. I'd not freak out and be so judgmental just yet. I believe Little has a chance to beat out Cam Erving. I'm more curious on what they will do with Brady Christensen if anything. 

3 hours ago, Zod said:

Miller hasn't practiced. I think he has been in a red shirt the entire time.

I don't think we have had someone like Chinn before. For some reason he reminds me of Jon Beason more than anyone in terms of his demeanor. 

Jon had great leadership skills, really right behind Luke and just ahead of Minter. If Chinn can be that guy, then wow!

And the kid has that knack for being in the right place at the right time. Some of that is knowledge and some of that is just one of those cosmic things. There's no measurable stat for it, but you can see it when it happens. Julius Peppers had that, along with an epic ability to make those things happen.

5 hours ago, Zod said:

Good day ladies and gentlemen. Here are a few observations from minicamp after watching yesterday. Again, some things cannot be said due to team policies.

- The two positions that you can get the best feel for in OTAs are the receivers and corners. Those guys have very little contact to begin with. If I had to choose a group that won it would be the corners. This group is much improved over last season. Of course, Terrace Marshall and Shi Smith were not practicing, that may have helped. Coach Rhule remarked after practice that the corners also are better than advertised this offseason.

- TE Dan Arnold looks like the most fluid route runner and pass catcher since Greg Olsen. The guy just knows the soft spot of the zone and anticipates the ball being there with great hands to match. So much to be said for a player like that. I have no idea how well he blocks, but at the very least he could add something interesting to third downs. 

- I don't believe enough has been said about DaQuan Jones and Derek Brown playing next to each other. These dudes are big and athletic. I have a feeling once the pads are on they are going to create some havoc. 

- Jeremy Chinn is turning into the leader of this defense. He is a different guy on the sideline this season. Much more relaxed, talkative, and amped at the same time. 

- Sam Darnold has thrown some really nice quick passes on crossing routes. He has looked good overall, but I've noticed just the right amount of zip and great placement on those passes in particular. Nice, because those are some of the most difficult to defend.

- Grier had a better day. His only pick thrown was because the perfectly placed ball went right through the hands of the receiver. 

- Pretty much the entire day was team situational work. 11 on 11, here is the situation, now go score (or stop them from scoring). These are the most fun practices to watch, imo. There was a whole lot of killing the clock and getting the field goal off very quickly. Was actually pretty impressive.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer if I can.

Anything on Wofford? Such as dates and if fans will be allowed? Wanting to put in vacation request.. thanks 

1 hour ago, Keeppoundinglegacy11 said:
I don't know about that. He's been a project that's for sure but if I know anything about the majority of Panthers fans is that they are extremely pessimistic and impatient. I've seen second round lineman struggle their first couple of years and slowly pick up their game and become viable and flourish in different systems. Remember we just got Bradys and Rhule last year. Last year was a covid year no offseason. I'd not freak out and be so judgmental just yet. I believe Little has a chance to beat out Cam Erving. I'm more curious on what they will do with Brady Christensen if anything. 

Little shouldn't even have been drafted in the second.

And no, he doesn't have a chance to beat Cam Erving. Hell, I wouldn't even bet on him beating out Dennis Daley. He was benched last year in favor of Trent Scott.

He's not good.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Keeppoundinglegacy11 said:
  •  

I think Little has to have a tremendous camp to have any shot at the roster. The only way he ends up ahead of Erving is if he gets injured. Erving is just better. If Little doesn't have a tremendous camp, we'd probably be rather go dumpster diving through other teams' cuts than have Little remain on the roster. His draft status with a prior regime has carried him as far as it's going to get him.

• Pie 2

Joe Person just put up an article with The Athletic about Darnold not looking sharp and that Rhule claimed that was "the plan".

anyone know what that is about? I hadn't heard anything about Sam not looking good.  

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Joe Person just put up an article with The Athletic about Darnold not looking sharp and that Rhule claimed that was "the plan".

anyone know what that is about? I hadn't heard anything about Sam not looking good.  

He basically said that they weren't trying to make it easy on the QBs. They want it to be hard in practice. They're looking for "good" days, not "great" days.

It's always the conundrum of camp. If one unit/player is looking really good, is it because that unit is really good or is it because the opposing unit/player sucks?

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, SCP said:

I don’t have a full on erection but the blood is pumping. Our defense could be nice and carry us while Sam finds his legs. 

Most folks are with you in regards to the Defense. It truly does have a chance to be really good.

It's the Offense that has folks more than a little nervous.