• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers minicamp observations and such

Zod

On 6/17/2021 at 6:46 AM, Zod said:

Good day ladies and gentlemen. Here are a few observations from minicamp after watching yesterday. Again, some things cannot be said due to team policies.

- The two positions that you can get the best feel for in OTAs are the receivers and corners. Those guys have very little contact to begin with. If I had to choose a group that won it would be the corners. This group is much improved over last season. Of course, Terrace Marshall and Shi Smith were not practicing, that may have helped. Coach Rhule remarked after practice that the corners also are better than advertised this offseason.

- TE Dan Arnold looks like the most fluid route runner and pass catcher since Greg Olsen. The guy just knows the soft spot of the zone and anticipates the ball being there with great hands to match. So much to be said for a player like that. I have no idea how well he blocks, but at the very least he could add something interesting to third downs. 

- I don't believe enough has been said about DaQuan Jones and Derek Brown playing next to each other. These dudes are big and athletic. I have a feeling once the pads are on they are going to create some havoc. 

- Jeremy Chinn is turning into the leader of this defense. He is a different guy on the sideline this season. Much more relaxed, talkative, and amped at the same time. 

- Sam Darnold has thrown some really nice quick passes on crossing routes. He has looked good overall, but I've noticed just the right amount of zip and great placement on those passes in particular. Nice, because those are some of the most difficult to defend.

- Grier had a better day. His only pick thrown was because the perfectly placed ball went right through the hands of the receiver. 

- Pretty much the entire day was team situational work. 11 on 11, here is the situation, now go score (or stop them from scoring). These are the most fun practices to watch, imo. There was a whole lot of killing the clock and getting the field goal off very quickly. Was actually pretty impressive.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer if I can.

Wow great stuff! Thanks for sharing! I've been telling people don't sleep on this defense this year. They kinda remind me of a hybrid much younger version of the 03 bucs and 01 ravens defense.  Very fast and athletic. There's probably 4 potential starters who can play multiple positions on defense 

8 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

All this rationalizing bad QB play now.  Let’s just hope that we aren’t losing 21-3 when the season starts.  Unfortunately, I haven’t seen much from Rhule or Tepper to make me confident that they have any idea what they’re doing. 

Wow, for only 3 sentences, that is a whole lotta negative. lol

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Going into the season I'm most interested in seeing if the defense can consistently apply more pressure and get teams involved off the field on third down. 

Less third and shorts would be nice too. 

I think we'll see an entirely different defensive approach this year from Snow now that he has some talent to work with at CB.  What we saw from him last year was quite the departure from his past defensive philosophies based on what I've been able to read up on him.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we'll see an entirely different defensive approach this year from Snow now that he has some talent to work with at CB.  What we saw from him last year was quite the departure from his past defensive philosophies based on what I've been able to read up on him.

Yep- You'd think we see a lot more press and man coverage and fewer soft zones. This will overall be better for us in stopping drives but might result in giving up a big play here or there. The last part will largely depend on how well Chinn (or whoever else might be playing deep help) mans the deep safety spot.

3 minutes ago, Michael G said:

The last part will largely depend on how well Chinn (or whoever else might be playing deep help) mans the deep safety spot.

This won't be a really hard job if our corners are playing better and our hopefully improved DL is getting pressure on opposing QBs

19 hours ago, Michael G said:

This won't be a really hard job if our corners are playing better and our hopefully improved DL is getting pressure on opposing QBs

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone quote themselves on here before.  Good job? Maybe? 

Let It Go Reaction GIF

I was pretty excited about going into OTA's and mini-camp about our Offensive Line.  I thought there were plenty of new additions that we would have heard some excitement out of our staff.   Outside of the Panthers saying Christensen arms were too short, we haven't heard much. 

It's either lack of excitement or the Panthers are keeping mum on the O-line.

Let's hope it's the latter. 

• Beer 1