• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rappaport critical on Sam Darnold during McAfee Show

TheCasillas

10 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Rapport. Way to go out on a limb. 

But then again, I have zero expectations for Rapport, ever.

What do you expect? He's a journalist first. He's for gathering and reporting facts before spouting opinions. And considering the rate at which he breaks stories he's a damn good one at that.

I think sports journalism is such a weird thing in that for some reason we expect everyone to be an incendiary prognosticator and provocateur like Skip and Stephen A. I can't believe we hold sports reporters to a standard where we expect them to make sweeping predictions with absolute certainty based on an incomplete datasets and myriad unknown variables, and to be accurate about them 100% of the time.

That's an insane standard to hold fact-based journalism to.

At the end of the days he's still got to reach out to player for comments and leads. And he's not going to be able to do that very well if the day before he named them on the list of "Top 10 overpaid bums whose careers I'm sure are definitely over" just to drum up clicks on some podcast.

Just had to chime in because this time of year it's hilarious to see how much bashing of sports reporters goes on in these threads.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Captroop said:

Just had to chime in because this time of year it's hilarious to see how much bashing of sports reporters goes on in these threads.

Most of its earned.  I've been watching all of the pressers.  They ask impertinent questions.   They repeat questions that other reporters asked because they weren't listening to other reporters questions.   They call in to press conferences from their car, amusement parks, and restaurants where the background noise is distracting and the call breaks up so they have to keep repeating questions.  Its unprofessional.  When the player answers, or passes, they go into long winded explanation and then repeat the question, acting like there's something more there that the player is hiding.  They ask questions about league policy that was released earlier in the day  while the player was in camp so they haven't even had a chance to look at it.  They try to create drama by asking one player about a dis they heard.  The questions are long boring diatribes of information that the player already knows, trying to lead the answer in a certain way.

Overall, just disrespectful, not only to players, but mostly to the audience.  When you read the articles based on pressers, they are mostly fluff and crap, with 10% actual new news.

Not all of the reporters are that way, but I'd say depending on the presser 1/3-2/3s.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Most of its earned.  I've been watching all of the pressers.  They ask impertinent questions.   They repeat questions that other reporters asked because they weren't listening to other reporters questions.   They call in to press conferences from their car, amusement parks, and restaurants where the background noise is distracting and the call breaks up so they have to keep repeating questions.  Its unprofessional.  When the player answers, or passes, they go into long winded explanation and then repeat the question, acting like there's something more there that the player is hiding.  They ask questions about league policy that was released earlier in the day  while the player was in camp so they haven't even had a chance to look at it.  They try to create drama by asking one player about a dis they heard.  The questions are long boring diatribes of information that the player already knows, trying to lead the answer in a certain way.

Overall, just disrespectful, not only to players, but mostly to the audience.  When you read the articles based on pressers, they are mostly fluff and crap, with 10% actual new news.

Not all of the reporters are that way, but I'd say depending on the presser 1/3-2/3s.

Are you referring specifically to Panthers local reporters or league wide?  There are some really good sports journalists out there but they don't cover this team anymore sadly. As to your remarks about the questions they are asking I will agree that some are just looking to stir the pot or create clicks. Again that is a general issue with media now but in truth who do we have to blame? Social media very clearly thrives on negative information and in kind that is what media outlets produce. That is what keeps people coming back. But in regards to asking questions that would be perceived as tough or controversial that depends on the viewer. Some fans want fluff and all sunshine and rainbows while others take better to a more balanced experience with their team. If someone is the former their best bet is to stick to the teams official social media pages.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, frankw said:

Are you referring specifically to Panthers local reporters or league wide?  There are some really good sports journalists out there but they don't cover this team anymore sadly. As to your remarks about the questions they are asking I will agree that some are just looking to stir the pot or create clicks. Again that is a general issue with media now but in truth who do we have to blame? Social media very clearly thrives on negative information and in kind that is what media outlets produce. That is what keeps people coming back. But in regards to asking questions that would be perceived as tough or controversial that depends on the viewer. Some fans want fluff and all sunshine and rainbows while others take better to a more balanced experience with their team. If someone is the former their best bet is to stick to the teams official social media pages.

I was referring specifically to the ones on the panther beat.  That said, it doesn't apply to all of the ones on the panthers and it doesn't exclude other reporters.

I agree with you here.

Edited by SBBlue

On 6/18/2021 at 7:24 PM, TheCasillas said:

Quick watch, nothing too informative but nice to be subject of an offseason for once. 

Question for the huddle: Would Sam Darnold be an option for come back play of the year?  He did miss 4 games...  (probably not)

Critical?  Nope.  He pretty much stated complete fact.