• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold comes in at No. 19 in Chris Simms' Quarterback rankings

SBBlue

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't think anyone here is under any illusions that Jameis is likely to suddenly turn his career around.

We hope Sam can turn the corner but like Winston the odds are stacked against him.

Both true statements.  

Today about 4pm on the local ESPN Yarbro/Rosinski/Cotton radio show former Panthers defensive-end Al Wallace was specifically asked that exact question --- who has the better odds for success this season, Jameis or Sam?

He answered immediately and unequivocally...

Edited by SizzleBuzz

11 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Why didn't Peyton [*PAYTON] start Winston over Hill ...what was it 5 games, last year?

Saints were in the middle of a potential title run and Hill had years in Payton's system while Winston only had a number of weeks.

It will be interesting to see what 2021 brings but Payton has two (2) starter-caliber NFL QB's, and, a unique opportunity to put both on the field at the same time on a regular basis...

...said strategy hinges on Jameis being under center and Taysom being the wildcat...

image.thumb.png.7ab74f4606ba265247270b367d9b22ac.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Saints were in the middle of a potential title run and Hill had years in Payton's system while Winston only had a number of weeks.

True, Hill had longer in Payton's system...but it would be more accurate to say that Winston had months to learn the system, like Darnold has now... or any rookie has,  and he couldn't win the starting spot over Hill.

We'll see.  I watched an interview with Winston.  A year sitting the bench, watching his former team win the SB has humbled him....and he's doubling down.  He got eye surgery, lost weight, changed his diet,  got married, and is putting in the time.   He's had a year learning under Drew Brees and Sean Payton.   He's on a very good team with excellent coaching and probably the most stable management in the league.

Once again, he has fewer excuses than Darnold.

18 hours ago, Call Me James said:

Probably for the same reason the Jets looked better under Flacco than Darnold. 

Neither of these guys are particularly good QBs. Which is why their respective teams moved on from them and coaches lost their jobs in the process. 

Oh poor Adam Gase..... 🙄

Sam is obviously the reason that fugtard was fired...naturally.  🤪

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1
  • The D 1

24 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Oh poor Adam Gase..... 🙄

Tannehill screwed Gase over in Miami, then Darnold in NY. 

Gase just has the worst luck with QBs.  

/sarc

• Beer 1

The comps with Ryan Tannehill do have merit in a circumstance sense but he was a competent starter before he thrived in Tennessee though. It wasn't his decision making that was in question. His qb rating the last 6 seasons has never dipped below 88 and has been as high as 117. He took the leap from average to borderline elite with the help of a quality roster and the biggest running back in the league. The difference is they have a line to protect him while Carolina has a void at Sam's blindside until proven otherwise. Teams like Tampa will be chomping at the bit to put that to the test.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Oh poor Adam Gase..... 🙄

Imagine pretending Gase was the only coach who lost their job with Darnold at the helm to push some dishonest narrative. 

Sam has to show up. 

If he doesn't, are you going to blame Rhule and Co? 

24 minutes ago, frankw said:

The comps with Ryan Tannehill do have merit in a circumstance sense but he was a competent starter before he thrived in Tennessee though. It wasn't his decision making that was in question. His qb rating the last 6 seasons has never dipped below 88 and has been as high as 117. He took the leap from average to borderline elite with the help of a quality roster and the biggest running back in the league. The difference is they have a line to protect him while Carolina has a void at Sam's blindside until proven otherwise. Teams like Tampa will be chomping at the bit to put that to the test.

I've done my homework on this.  You did say qb rating or quarterback rating or QBR.

Tannehills last 3  QBRs in Miami were : 45.6, 48.6 and 33.2    Ryan Tannehill Stats | ESPN

Darold's QBRs in NY were:  45.9, 45.6 and 40.1 Sam Darnold Stats | ESPN

Even ESPN, the owner of QBR, calculated the multi year performance of Tannehill vs Darnold

Tannehill for whatever reason (injury, coaching, whatever) was not an average quarterback and was traded for a 4th and change.  The Miami Dolphins, the NFL QB market and ESPN did not view Tannehill as an average starter.  

His QBR was 32nd at the time of his trade.  He passed for less than 2000 yards.

I will never understand the love some Panther fans have for Tannehill's time in Miami.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

19 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I've done my homework on this.  You did say qb rating or quarterback rating or QBR.

Tannehills last 3  QBRs in Miami were : 45.6, 48.6 and 33.2    Ryan Tannehill Stats | ESPN

Darold's QBRs in NY were:  45.9, 45.6 and 40.1 Sam Darnold Stats | ESPN

Even ESPN, the owner of QBR, calculated the multi year performance of Tannehill vs Darnold

Tannehill for whatever reason (injury, coaching, whatever) was not an average quarterback and was traded for a 4th and change.  The Miami Dolphins, the NFL QB market and ESPN did not view Tannehill as an average starter.  

His QBR was 32nd at the time of his trade.  He passed for less than 2000 yards.

I will never understand the love some Panther fans have for Tannehill's time in Miami.  

QB rating and QBR aren't the same. This is actually something Panthers fans have a history with as it has been a contentious source of information back to the Cam days. We can argue over whether Tannehill was average or below average but I would not say he was terrible in the couple of seasons before he came to Tennessee. He peaked with the right staff and the right surrounding talent. I understand the desire to make him look worse to fit the narrative but I just cannot agree that he made a jump from abysmal to one of the best because he had some of the basics there already. He only played on 11 games in his final season with Miami btw.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

QB rating and QBR aren't the same. This is actually something Panthers fans have a history with as it has been a contentious source of information back to the Cam days. We can argue over whether Tannehill was average or below average but I would not say he was terrible in the couple of seasons before he came to Tennessee. He peaked with the right staff and the right surrounding talent. I understand the desire to make him look worse to fit the narrative but I just cannot agree that he made a jump from abysmal to one of the best because he had some of the basics there already. He only played on 11 games in his final season with Miami btw.

Do you mean passer rating? 

I've heard some people refer to passer rating  as qb rating.  It is just passing.  It tended to rate Cam lower because it ignored his running.

He was ~185 yards per game BTW.

Edited by SBBlue

5 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Do you mean passer rating? 

I've heard some people call passer rating  as qb rating, but its really not, it is just passing.  That's why it rated Cam lower because it ignored his runs.

My apologies yes some will call it passer rating. QBR is the metric that supposedly encompasses all the variables but it is again anything but settled information and has only been around the last ten years.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl

Edited by frankw