• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold comes in at No. 19 in Chris Simms' Quarterback rankings

SBBlue

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

My apologies yes some will call it passer rating. QBR is the metric that supposedly encompasses all the variables but it is again anything but settled information and has only been around the last ten years.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl

So you believe that the injured Tannehill with his 185 yards a game was actually pretty good, but the Miami Dolphins traded him for just a 4th and change because they wanted to make him look bad so that later we could compare him to Darnold to fit the narrative?  The other NFL teams participated in this by not offering more for this competent, at least average QB.  Then ESPN went back and recalculated his QBR for 3 years to make him look bad.

I'm just tired of people posting on how Tannehill was pretty good those last few years in Miami.  

I'm not trying to make Tannehill look bad, ESPN, the Miami dolphins and the rest of the NFL did that.  His play may have had something to do with it.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Call Me James said:

Imagine pretending Gase was the only coach who lost their job with Darnold at the helm to push some dishonest narrative. 

If you're alluding to Todd Bowles, he was already a Lame Duck coach in Sam's Rookie year.    He was already on his way out even before Sam was drafted.

I know this because...DUH...I had followed the Jets since 1997 until they fuged Sam over which was the last straw for me.

There is nothing "dishonest" about the TRUTH in that and that Gase is a horrid coach who never should've been hired to guide an impressionable young QB(the youngest Starting QB ever, at least in Jets history).  

Sam has to show up. 

If he doesn't, are you going to blame Rhule and Co? 

If he doesn't, then it's on him.   I've stated this in the past when Carolina first acquired him.

He knows his career as a Starting QB in this league is on the line here so he has to impress these next 2 seasons if he wants to continue that route.  

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

So you believe that the injured Tannehill with his 185 yards a game was actually pretty good, but the Miami Dolphins traded him for just a 4th and change because they wanted to make him look bad so that later we could compare him to Darnold to fit the narrative?  The other NFL teams participated in this by not offering more for this competent, at least average QB.  Then ESPN went back and recalculated his QBR for 3 years to make him look bad.

I'm just tired of people posting on how Tannehill was pretty good those last few years in Miami.  

I'm not trying to make Tannehill look bad, ESPN, the Miami dolphins and the rest of the NFL did that.  His play may have had something to do with it.

The Dolphins were a bad football team and Tannehill had struggles that contributed. Who is saying otherwise? But he wasn't trash and he had some much needed intangibles already there and in the right situation he has done quite well for himself. You can't seem to decide whether you want him to look good or bad based on whichever argument you are making on behalf of Sam Darnold. In that case don't look at who is sitting at the bottom of the list in that link I sent in the previous post 👀

Edited by frankw

a lot of coaches would have looked bad coaching Tannehill and Darnold as rookies in the NFL IMO.  Gase sucks.  But a lot of Tannehill and Darnold sucking is because they hadn't put the time in at QB vs other players. 

remember, like Sam....Tannehill wasn't exclusively groomed as a QB his whole life. Tannehill played WR in college.   

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

Tannehill had struggles that contributed.

Yes.  Finally, we agree.

You can't seem to decide whether you want him to look good or bad based on whichever argument you are making on behalf of Sam Darnold.

Huh?  He looks the way he looks.  I thought you were refering to QBR, not passer rating, so I thought I'd chime in.  Tannehill was not good those last years in Miami, he is really good now.  I have not changed in that assertion. 

In that case don't look at who as sitting at the bottom of the list in that link I sent in the previous post 👀

I did.  Your point?

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

27 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yes.  Finally, we agree.

Huh?  He looks the way he looks.  I thought you were refering to QBR, not passer rating, so I thought I'd chime in.  Tannehill was not good those last years in Miami, he is really good now.  I have not changed in that assertion. 

I did.  Your point?

Few here are actually going to agree on Sam Darnold. The information is there for any fans to form their own conclusions. Much of the conversation the past month has revolved around which narratives will make Darnold's past appear less bleak. He has the opportunity to prove any doubters wrong. I hope he does.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Darnold can get better. Look at this clip of Jameis- He's getting better- He didn't throw 1 int the whole clip! If he can do it so can Sam!

Lol. Ouch.  Now we're just being mean.  My understanding is Winston is a changed man, seriously.  He is working around the clock, had eye surgery, changing his diet and spending a ton of time with Saints receivers.  Payton will probably go with Winston this year.  Considering he had 5 fumbles to go along with his 30 ints, this is probably a good drill, though I wouldn't want it posted on the internet.  We can't sleep on the Saints, they've lost some good players but they are still a good team.

Though I don't understand some of the love he gets here.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1

I am excited because Darnold is young and talented, but we've now seen him in the NFL for almost 40 games and his raw abilities have rarely generated steady, high-level play. 

And many have pointed to the pressure Darnold faced with the Jets as a factor outside of his control when explaining why he flopped to start his NFL career, but he was actually much closer to league average under pressure than he was from a clean pocket in 2020.

The improved situation with us should show a more respectable Darnold than someone who was in the running for the worst starting quarterback in the league last season. He has too much natural ability as an anticipatory thrower to be that bad again. 

Denver Broncos v New York Jets : News Photo

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Has anything new been said about Darnold here in the last 2 months?

He has only half a couch.

Besides that no.  People trying to argue that 33qbr-185-ypg-Tannehill was pretty good those last 3 years in Miami.  The latest was comparing Darnold's decision making to 35-turnover-brawling-eat-the-W-Winston who had better coaching, line, and wr's.  Whatever.🙄

Other than that, no.  We don't know what Darnold is.  Believe it or not, he could have a Tannehill turnaround.  Seems unlikely with our line, this division and schedule, but here's to hoping.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1