• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

GMFB on Sam Darnold Thursday

SBBlue

24 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Question isn’t improvement, it’s will it be enough? He’ll look better but will he be a winner. But the reasons for improvement are painfully obvious even to the most casual fan (as indicated by literally everyone who talks about the subject).

Before Darnold, I never really gave as much thought to evaluating players in context like we are doing this year for Darnold.  I would not be looking at context if we didn't trade for him.

I wonder if the coaches are applying the same logic  to our FA Oline acquisitions this year.  Eiflin came from the Jets and his pff did decline some when he went there from the Vikings.  Erving was drafted into the 1-15, 0-16 Browns before he went to backup roles at KC and Dallas.

Edited by SBBlue

21 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Isn’t obvious? I didn’t watch the video but just from common sense, let’s compare then to now:

Will go from arguably the worst oline in the NFL (for several years) to, as of now, the 18th ranked. I always poo on our oline because it’s garbage but the Jets are otherworldly godawful. Go watch some Jets games from last year.

His RBs avg yards: 2020 (37 year old HB) 3.5, 2019 (played 3/4 of season) 4.0, 2018 4.3-4.8. I’m sure I don’t have to explain why McCaffrey is better than 4 rotating washed up HBs.

His #1 receivers:  2020/2019 Crowder a decent #2 but has never cracked 900 yards in 6 years,  2018 Anderson, never cracked 800 yards. Anderson couldn’t crack 1k until he came here. And aside from 2017, looked to be regressing with the Jets.

Essentially, given Anderson is a wash, I’m sure I don’t have to explain why DJ Moore is better than Crowder.

Gase as OC/QB coach/HC: Made the playoffs one time and lost. Overall HC record? 32-48 (.400). Brady/Rhule unknown but that bar is on the ground. But I’d put money Sean Ryan is better than Gase.

There is a reason why basically any analysis out there on Darnold predicts improvement. Pretty much a duh.

Question isn’t improvement, it’s will it be enough? He’ll look better but will he be a winner. But the reasons for improvement are painfully obvious even to the most casual fan (as indicated by literally everyone who talks about the subject).

I’ll root for him but improvement and good enough are completely separate topics. 

But, what about the girth of his penis?

• The D 2
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, onmyown said:

Isn’t obvious? I didn’t watch the video but just from common sense, let’s compare then to now:

Will go from arguably the worst oline in the NFL (for several years) to, as of now, the 18th ranked. I always poo on our oline because it’s garbage but the Jets are otherworldly godawful. Go watch some Jets games from last year.

His RBs avg yards: 2020 (37 year old HB) 3.5, 2019 (played 3/4 of season) 4.0, 2018 4.3-4.8. I’m sure I don’t have to explain why McCaffrey is better than 4 rotating washed up HBs.

His #1 receivers:  2020/2019 Crowder a decent #2 but has never cracked 900 yards in 6 years,  2018 Anderson, never cracked 800 yards. Anderson couldn’t crack 1k until he came here. And aside from 2017, looked to be regressing with the Jets.

Essentially, given Anderson is a wash, I’m sure I don’t have to explain why DJ Moore is better than Crowder.

Gase as OC/QB coach/HC: Made the playoffs one time and lost. Overall HC record? 32-48 (.400). Brady/Rhule unknown but that bar is on the ground. But I’d put money Sean Ryan is better than Gase.

There is a reason why basically any analysis out there on Darnold predicts improvement. Pretty much a duh.

I’ll root for him but improvement and good enough are completely separate topics. 

100% accurate. Him not improving would be a absolute fuging disaster. 

As you said, the question is how much and will it be enough to get our franchise back on track?

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Before Darnold, I never really gave as much thought to evaluating players in context like we are doing this year for Darnold.  I would not be looking at context if we didn't trade for him.

I wonder if the coaches are applying the same logic  to our FA Oline acquisitions this year.  Eiflin came from the Jets and his pff did decline some when he went there from the Vikings.  Erving was drafted into the 1-15, 0-16 Browns before he went to backup roles at KC and Dallas.

Erving is a complete bust. While Darnold has shown flashes and enough talent to take a chance on, Erving has been bad everywhere he went. 

If he is able to be simply average it would be a miracle turnaround.