• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positions likely to be addressed prioir to opening game

45catfan

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have seen lot of question marks on the roster, IMO. 

QB, LT, LG, RG, S, LB, DT, WR, LS, K, TE, CB.

We still don't really know we have answers to those questions yet. If we have even half of those answers, it was a good offseason.

Overall,  I see a potential for improvement in many of those, with a potential decline in a couple.  The team exceeded my expectations last year, we'll see.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

There was some luck involved:

"Oher was rehabbing from toe surgery in the offseason when he received a text from Cam Newton. The quarterback has recruited players before, but not this hard. Newton's brother, Cecil Jr., had played on the practice squad in Baltimore, and he was around Oher every day. They became friends. He knew Oher was talented and professional, and was confident he could protect his brother. Cecil told Cam that Oher would be a key acquisition to the team.

So Newton texted Oher, and he didn't just say he wanted him. He said he needed him. When the Panthers signed Oher to a two-year, $7 million deal this past March, the move was widely criticized. Oher, 29, appeared to be on the downswing."

Carolina Panthers' Cam Newton recruited Michael Oher to protect his 'Blind Side' (espn.com)

No doubt, but we could use some luck at that position...it's been a while.  Got lucky with Oher, signed him long term, and got super unlucky again.

Black cat and all...

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have seen lot of question marks on the roster, IMO. 

QB, LT, LG, RG, S, LB, DT, WR, LS, K, TE, CB.

We still don't really know we have answers to those questions yet. If we have even half of those answers, it was a good offseason.

You forgot C, PR, KR, but otherwise 100% right.

We talk like there are some great players we just picked up/drafted but we don't know anything about them yet. Outside of CMC, DJ and Moton, we don't know if anyone else out there is going to live up to the hype, hit their stride or just fade away right now.

Outside of those three, I don't see a guy that doesn't have some questions. Even Jeremy Chinn (who I think was a revelation last season) you have to wonder if there might be a sophomore slump, especially if there's a change to pure safety work this coming season. He's a gifted athlete and displays great football IQ, but he could see his impact fade if he has to help cover deficiencies of other players.

• Beer 3

30 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

This is where I am, except the part about Erving.

Why do you think Erving can be decent, because most describe his play as horrible?

I would disagree with those people. When he's been healthy he's been pretty good. His issue has primarily been injuries. We've seen horrible. Byron Bell was horrible. Nate Chandler was horrible. Matt Kalil was the worst combination of horrible and highly paid. That's not Erving.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I would disagree with those people. When he's been healthy he's been pretty good. His issue has primarily been injuries. We've seen horrible. Byron Bell was horrible. Nate Chandler was horrible. That's not Erving.

Apparently he's fighting an injury now.  Not a good sign.

• Beer 1

Just now, SBBlue said:

No it's not. That's the risk you take when you sign guys with a significant injury history.

At the end of the day, I think there's a very real chance that Moton is playing LT this year. He very well could be using that as leverage for a new deal. Sure, I'll give it a go at LT but I need the long-term security of a new multi-year contract first. Hell, that's what I'd be doing.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No it's not. That's the risk you take when you sign guys with a significant injury history.

At the end of the day, I think there's a very real chance that Moton is playing LT this year. He very well could be using that as leverage for a new deal. Sure, I'll give it a go at LT but I need the long-term security of a new multi-year contract first. Hell, that's what I'd be doing.

Agreed, and he likely is...smart guy.  Wish we locked him up last offseason...but "business side of things first" and what not.

17 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I have a feeling we signed Irving as a back-up LT and because of his OL versatility.  I'm nearly certain he was not signed to be our starting LT this season.  The team thought they had two safe-guards and at worst, Irving would be option #3 at starting LT.  Firstly, every one knew we were targeting a LT in the draft.  The Lions screwed us over by nabbing Sewell and then trading down continuously squashed any realistic option of getting sure-fire starter.  The backup plan was Taylor Moton being moved over after being tagged. 

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I have a feeling we signed Irving as a back-up LT and because of his OL versatility.  I'm nearly certain he was not signed to be our starting LT this season.  The team thought they had two safe-guards and at worst, Irving would be option #3 at starting LT.  Firstly, every one knew we were targeting a LT in the draft.  The Lions screwed us over by nabbing Sewell and then trading down continuously squashed any realistic option of getting sure-fire starter.  The backup plan was Taylor Moton being moved over after being tagged. 

My thoughts as well, that Erving and Eiflin were relatively cheap depth pieces.   I would assume Moton and BC switching sides is not going to get their best production.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Therein lies the issue. Burris should be a depth piece at most. He was a liability last year and is likely to be one this year too if he's forced into a role he isn't cut out for.

When he got his ribs injured midseason is when it got bad for the defense.  Then, when Thomas-Oliver had to step in at CB along with the safety thinness is when it was at its worst.  I don't think Burris is as much of a liability as he's made out to be.  (Same goes for Pride at CB, I'm still optimistic)

Sam Franklin looked alright in relief as well.   It may not be the most talented spot on the team, but the position doesn't worry me.  Center field is not the biggest concern IMO.   

ILB: Shaq isn't a liability (similar to Burris in that respect) but this is a much more important position.  With the defense slated to be better, I'm quite interested to see how he and Perryman perform.  Though expect Denzel to miss a few games and Shaq never really being the leader on D, it's actually kind of concerning.  

RT/LG/LT: I agree with other Erving was brought in as a baseline/maybe starter at LT but overall, it sounds like we're trying a lot of rotations to see what clicks.  If it results in Moton at LT, then is Brady C. at RT? LG? There's just a lot of possibilities.  We've got a lot of bodies but hopefully we don't play too much musical chairs.  A consistent lineup at OL is a team's best friend.

WR3: (Does Marshall transition easy?, maybe Shi surprises? David Moore? Or someone from the ranks of Zylstra, Bayless, etc) We're relying on a batch of guys with a lot of potential, but does someone actually step up?  

QB: Darnold is a huge question mark at the end of the day but I'm optimistic.  Though with PJ behind him, we're likely a top-10 pick again if we have issues here.

We're so young, it's hard to gauge which is promising w/potential vs. not cutting the mustard when so many have not played.  A ton of turnover and a ton of super young guys ready to give it their shot. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

26 minutes ago, saX man said:

When he got his ribs injured midseason is when it got bad for the defense.  Then, when Thomas-Oliver had to step in at CB along with the safety thinness is when it was at its worst.  I don't think Burris is as much of a liability as he's made out to be.  (Same goes for Pride at CB, I'm still optimistic)

Sam Franklin looked alright in relief as well.   It may not be the most talented spot on the team, but the position doesn't worry me.  Center field is not the biggest concern IMO.   

ILB: Shaq isn't a liability (similar to Burris in that respect) but this is a much more important position.  With the defense slated to be better, I'm quite interested to see how he and Perryman perform.  Though expect Denzel to miss a few games and Shaq never really being the leader on D, it's actually kind of concerning.  

RT/LG/LT: I agree with other Erving was brought in as a baseline/maybe starter at LT but overall, it sounds like we're trying a lot of rotations to see what clicks.  If it results in Moton at LT, then is Brady C. at RT? LG? There's just a lot of possibilities.  We've got a lot of bodies but hopefully we don't play too much musical chairs.  A consistent lineup at OL is a team's best friend.

WR3: (Does Marshall transition easy?, maybe Shi surprises? David Moore? Or someone from the ranks of Zylstra, Bayless, etc) We're relying on a batch of guys with a lot of potential, but does someone actually step up?  

QB: Darnold is a huge question mark at the end of the day but I'm optimistic.  Though with PJ behind him, we're likely a top-10 pick again if we have issues here.

We're so young, it's hard to gauge which is promising w/potential vs. not cutting the mustard when so many have not played.  A ton of turnover and a ton of super young guys ready to give it their shot. 

QB:  We are riding with Danrold this season no matter what.  There's no option #2 as far as that is concerned.  As far as injury?  Now you could argue that Walker and Grier aren't the answer if Darnold has to miss some time.  While I concur on that aspect, I really don't see the team investing in a borderline starter QB to back up Darnold.

WR: Again, if factoring out injury, I think we are set at WR.  Anderson, DJ, Marshall Jr, Zylstra and Smith are our top five.  We have decent competition for that last sixth spot between the other Moore and Kirkwood.  WR #6 isn't a huge concern for me.

LB:  Outside of Shaq, Reddick, Perryman and perhaps Carter, what do we really have?  Luvu and Stanford?  That's a stretch even counting those two.  Beyond that is like throwing throwing mud at the wall.  You typically want to keep 7 LBs on your 53-man roster.

Edited by 45catfan