• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positions likely to be addressed prioir to opening game

45catfan

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

QB:  We are riding with Danrold this season no matter what.  There's no option #2 as far as that is concerned.  As far as injury?  Now you could argue that Walker and Grier aren't the answer if Darnold has to miss some time.  While I concur on that aspect, I really don't see the team investing in a borderline starter QB to back up Darnold.

WR: Again, if factoring out injury, I think we are set at WR.  Anderson, DJ, Marshall Jr, Zylstra and Smith are our top five.  We have decent competition for that last sixth spot between the other Moore and Kirkwood.  WR #6 isn't a huge concern for me.

LB:  Outside of Shaq, Reddick, Perryman and perhaps Carter, what do we really have?  Luvu and Stanford?  That's a stretch even counting those two.  Beyond that is like throwing throwing mud at the wall.  You typically want to keep 7 LBs on your 53-man roster.

Oh I'm not saying we sign anyone, I think we're done signing.

Those are the spots I'm concerned about.

18 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

LB:  Outside of Shaq, Reddick, Perryman and perhaps Carter, what do we really have?  Luvu and Stanford?  That's a stretch even counting those two.  Beyond that is like throwing throwing mud at the wall.  You typically want to keep 7 LBs on your 53-man roster.

Also Christian Miller might be considered a LB.  You could also add fan favorite UDFA Paddy Fisher.  I don't think we will carry 7 LBs.  More likely 5-6... the 4 you listed and the rest of the FA and UDFA's will fight out for that last spot or two.  Honestly, I'm not that concerned with the depth on what is probably the least important position on the defense.

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not a fan of the depth at safety either, but I think the team liked what they saw in Franklin last year and Robinson has a chance to step up in camp...throw Chandler into mix as well.  Burris and Chinn are our unquestioned starters.  That said, I doubt the team is going to spend resources in backup safeties unless a fringe starter becomes available after cuts and the rest of our reserves failed to impress them in camp.

I would put safety at #4 if I would have done another position group.  However, who does a top 4 list, lol?

Franklin, Burris, and Chin are Strong Safeties. I'm not a fan of forcing a SS to play FS. It hardly ever works out.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, it's all speculation prior to camp, but looking on paper that is what I saw as glaring holes.  I would say say short of camp injuries that we have most of those positions you listed settled in one fashion or another.  Granted teams aren't going to have all-pros at every position, but settled enough that the staff should be comfortable heading into the season.  I think we keep guys at WR, RB, OG, DT, LS, K, TE and CB we have heading into camp for the 53-man roster.   In other words, no post-camp upgrade FA signings.

I don't know if we will make any post camp signings. Curious to see what Fitt's philosophy is on that.

1 minute ago, saX man said:

WR3: (Does Marshall transition easy?, maybe Shi surprises? David Moore? Or someone from the ranks of Zylstra, Bayless, etc) We're relying on a batch of guys with a lot of potential, but does someone actually step up?  

I'm quite okay with that given that we have two proven starters and some high level unproven talent behind them. IMO, that's a very healthy mix to have on your roster.

23 minutes ago, saX man said:

Oh I'm not saying we sign anyone, I think we're done signing.

Those are the spots I'm concerned about.

I don't. I think we're going to see some roster churn throughout the process of the off-season and I think there are some guys who end up on our roster who won't be signed until after final roster cuts.

• Pie 1

I don’t know if we move Moton to LT. Although this has always been my solution as well I think something is up because our staff won’t move him to LT. Could it be that we want to give him a RT contract first? I didn’t think he was that worse at LT but maybe I’m wrong. 

I’m actually okay with our safety and line backer Corp. our staff has basically said SS and FS are interchangeable on this defense and if you have a good pass rush it can offset a bad secondary. I think Burris is average to above average. I think I saw that he was rated top safety in the slot last year.

im not worried about LB either because like you said we only played 4-3 in 10% of snaps last year. Our staff has made sure to get players who can play multiple positions. Reddick can play ROLB and DE. We also have Miller who still has potential after sitting out last year. It also seems to me that every year we get one or two UDFA linebackers that end up making the team so I believe we might find one or two for depth again this year.

5 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Wow.  That might be the saddest thing I’ve read on this board.

I thought we'd be worse than the previous year.

We were 5-11 in 2019, you thought we were going to improve last year and win more than the previous year? 

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1

If the Panthers had a fully intact offensive line in place I could understand not placing a priority on 2nd string quarterback. But with left tackle once again up in the air and all the offensive weapons we have now it just seems like throwing in the towel. An additional layer to all that is the 17 game season and unknowns about covid in the fall. That's a lot of variables that could spell unfavorable circumstances for many teams.