• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positions likely to be addressed prioir to opening game

45catfan

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

FS is the biggest glaring weakness IMO. There's no one on the roster there who anyone should be happy to see getting meaningful snaps.

LT is a question mark for sure, but there are guys here to compete. If Erving is healthy he can be a decent option. There's the possibility of Moton kicking over to LT also.

I think this staff is deemphasizing LB and that's okay with me.

DE depth doesn't concern me. I think we'll look for potential upgrades across the roster, but I don't see DE being a priority at all.

We need to come up with a safety bet, I would have let you be the judge but can not given the Burris slander!!! Im up for ideas, the safety group is not hogwash. 

6 hours ago, saX man said:

When he got his ribs injured midseason is when it got bad for the defense.  Then, when Thomas-Oliver had to step in at CB along with the safety thinness is when it was at its worst.  I don't think Burris is as much of a liability as he's made out to be.  (Same goes for Pride at CB, I'm still optimistic)

Sam Franklin looked alright in relief as well.   It may not be the most talented spot on the team, but the position doesn't worry me.  Center field is not the biggest concern IMO.   

ILB: Shaq isn't a liability (similar to Burris in that respect) but this is a much more important position.  With the defense slated to be better, I'm quite interested to see how he and Perryman perform.  Though expect Denzel to miss a few games and Shaq never really being the leader on D, it's actually kind of concerning.  

RT/LG/LT: I agree with other Erving was brought in as a baseline/maybe starter at LT but overall, it sounds like we're trying a lot of rotations to see what clicks.  If it results in Moton at LT, then is Brady C. at RT? LG? There's just a lot of possibilities.  We've got a lot of bodies but hopefully we don't play too much musical chairs.  A consistent lineup at OL is a team's best friend.

WR3: (Does Marshall transition easy?, maybe Shi surprises? David Moore? Or someone from the ranks of Zylstra, Bayless, etc) We're relying on a batch of guys with a lot of potential, but does someone actually step up?  

QB: Darnold is a huge question mark at the end of the day but I'm optimistic.  Though with PJ behind him, we're likely a top-10 pick again if we have issues here.

We're so young, it's hard to gauge which is promising w/potential vs. not cutting the mustard when so many have not played.  A ton of turnover and a ton of super young guys ready to give it their shot. 

Great post sax.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, it's weird we haven't at least entertained Hooker. The guy must just be done for physically 

He claims on his twitter that this is the first time he has ever been injured. Not really buying it or he would be signed by now. He claims it is because of the birth of his daughter, but he could've signed months ago.

26 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

He claims on his twitter that this is the first time he has ever been injured. Not really buying it or he would be signed by now. He claims it is because of the birth of his daughter, but he could've signed months ago.

Yeah, something isn't adding up here. It's weird.

13 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

What information do you have to support this assertion.  Specifics, please.

It's cute you cut-n-paste one comment from the post and ignore the message of the post.

Leadership was evident with Cam, Olsen, Luke and TD - you didn't have to go looking for it. Show me how CMC is exhibiting obvious leadership with this team. He's a great player, no doubt, but he hasn't established himself as a team leader, yet. Neither has anyone else on the offensive side of the ball. It's part of the reason the team lost a lot of close games last year.

2 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

It's cute you cut-n-paste one comment from the post and ignore the message of the post.

Leadership was evident with Cam, Olsen, Luke and TD - you didn't have to go looking for it. Show me how CMC is exhibiting obvious leadership with this team. He's a great player, no doubt, but he hasn't established himself as a team leader, yet. Neither has anyone else on the offensive side of the ball. It's part of the reason the team lost a lot of close games last year.

Not trying to be argumentative.  How is leadership evident?  How does one know who the leaders are?  Fans are not in the locker room.  Fans aren't in the huddle.  I heard Olsen used to have to translate the plays in the huddle.  Does this make him a leader?  Luke would position the defense.  Does this make him the leader?  Are these guys leaders because they are captains?  Because they yell the most?  They've been around the longest?  They have an inspirational story?  How does one "establish himself" to be a leader?

Again - not trying to argue.  The team has many alphas.  Captains will be chosen.  I'm not gonna lose sleep over this one.

5 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

You stated that CMC does not want to be a leader.  I don't think it is terribly argumentative to ask what evidence you have to support that statement.  Absent evidence, that is just your opinion.  We all have opinions.  Don't get your panties in a wad.

The problem is I don't think you can just go out and find a person to start at LT. It will be an inevitable rotation of finding out we don't have the answer there. FS is the biggest hole that is fillable to me, have to address it before week 1. 

2 hours ago, Verge said:

The problem is I don't think you can just go out and find a person to start at LT. It will be an inevitable rotation of finding out we don't have the answer there. FS is the biggest hole that is fillable to me, have to address it before week 1. 

Why no interest in Hooker? He claims on his twitter that the Panthers have "not contacted him." I also know he and Rhule share an agent in "athletes first." Just seems odd. He claims this is his first injury and he was never injured until now. 

14 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Why no interest in Hooker? He claims on his twitter that the Panthers have "not contacted him." I also know he and Rhule share an agent in "athletes first." Just seems odd. He claims this is his first injury and he was never injured until now. 

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/malik-hooker/9507

Malik Hooker Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Sep 22, 2019 NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Hooker tore the meniscus in his left knee against Atlanta and underwent surgery on the cartilage. He missed 3 games
Jan 5, 2019 NFL Pedal Foot Hooker missed the Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs with a foot injury.
Nov 11, 2018 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Hooker missed another game with his hip injury.
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Hooker missed 1 game with a hip injury.
Oct 22, 2017 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Hooker tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee and missed the final 9 games of the season. He had surgery on November 10.
Jan 23, 2017 Non-NFL Inguinal Hip Tear Hooker had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip after his final season at Ohio State.
Jan 16, 2017 Non-NFL Inguinal Groin Sports Hernia Hooker underwent double sports hernia surgery shortly after his final season at Ohio State.

According to this website Hooker has suffered substantial injuries in the past. I'm not sure how accurate the site is and I haven't followed Hookers' career. I'm just putting it out there. 

Just now, Michael G said:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/malik-hooker/9507

Malik Hooker Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Sep 22, 2019 NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Hooker tore the meniscus in his left knee against Atlanta and underwent surgery on the cartilage. He missed 3 games
Jan 5, 2019 NFL Pedal Foot Hooker missed the Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs with a foot injury.
Nov 11, 2018 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Hooker missed another game with his hip injury.
Oct 21, 2018 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Hooker missed 1 game with a hip injury.
Oct 22, 2017 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Hooker tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee and missed the final 9 games of the season. He had surgery on November 10.
Jan 23, 2017 Non-NFL Inguinal Hip Tear Hooker had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip after his final season at Ohio State.
Jan 16, 2017 Non-NFL Inguinal Groin Sports Hernia Hooker underwent double sports hernia surgery shortly after his final season at Ohio State.

According to this website Hooker has suffered substantial injuries in the past. I'm not sure how accurate the site is and I haven't followed Hookers' career. I'm just putting it out there. 

Yep I believe this is why he hasn't been signed. I love how he claims on twitter he has never been injured lol. And if you ask him why he hasn't signed he says it's the birth of his daughter, which makes some sense; however, he could have signed months ago and has taken some trips. I guarantee he has no where near the offer he would like. 

Just now, Jared Patterson said:

Yep I believe this is why he hasn't been signed. I love how he claims on twitter he has never been injured lol. And if you ask him why he hasn't signed he says it's the birth of his daughter, which makes some sense; however, he could have signed months ago and has taken some trips. I guarantee he has no where near the offer he would like. 

Still though. It's not like we haven't signed players w injury concerns. Id rather take a risk w him then signing Boston.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Still though. It's not like we haven't signed players w injury concerns. Id rather take a risk w him then signing Boston.

I'm not for resigning Boston either. From everything I've seen we are rolling with Chinn at Safety (FS) when in those packages. It makes the LB depth a little iffy but I think he'll be a upgrade there.