• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown Leveraging the Double Team

SBBlue

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The theory they are working on is basically the positional value aspect. I do understand that to a point. But, we were in REALLY bad shape on that interior and Brown was a high caliber and relatively safe prospect. 

I understand that as well. I would not be in favor of a LB that early. I am pretty much opposed to taking a RB in the first round ever. So I do get it.

That said, DT is just such an important position. I just don’t understand the positional value argument I’m relation to DT. Because the best ones eat two blockers. That gives so much leverage to your edge rushers and LBers. 

Obviously it isn’t the most important position on the field but it plays such a huge role that gets overlooked by the casual fan. I was of the mindset from day one that I preferred to keep Star over Short. And clearly Short was a great athlete but Star made his job significantly easier. A nasty DT makes the job easier for ever single player on the line. I wanted Brown months before the draft process had started for this reason.

3 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I understand that as well. I would not be in favor of a LB that early. I am pretty much opposed to taking a RB in the first round ever. So I do get it.

That said, DT is just such an important position. I just don’t understand the positional value argument I’m relation to DT. Because the best ones eat two blockers. That gives so much leverage to your edge rushers and LBers. 

Obviously it isn’t the most important position on the field but it plays such a huge role that gets overlooked by the casual fan. I was of the mindset from day one that I preferred to keep Star over Short. And clearly Short was a great athlete but Star made his job significantly easier. A nasty DT makes the job easier for ever single player on the line. I wanted Brown months before the draft process had started for this reason.

Typically, only the elite pass rushing DT's get drafted in the top 15.

Being that space eater is a very important but those guys don't typically command huge salaries or get drafted that highly.

Like I said, I get the theory behind it but I think he was the right choice.

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The theory they are working on is basically the positional value aspect. I do understand that to a point. But, we were in REALLY bad shape on that interior and Brown was a high caliber and relatively safe prospect. 

Im big on positional value. Its like many things in that theres exceptions and judge case by case. Like I dont value Safety or Guard.......but that changes if the safety is Ed reed and the guard is QNelson.  @rmoneyg35 is right about not spending the 7th overall on a NT, but brown showed week 1 -17 thats he entering the exception status. I honestly didnt want Brown cause I thought theres no chance he could repeat his college tape in the pros.....week one about 6 plays into game. Brown forklifts the 400 LB king douche Richie incognito about 4 yards backwards. After the whistle Richie has to adjust his helmet and chin strap. (of course later in the game douche drives at Browns knees and gave other cheap shots). That happened many times during the season, but you had to re-watch and focus on brown. DT are some of the hardest to judge, cause they get no stats. But many times are the reasons for other teammates stats. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Im big on positional value. Its like many things in that theres exceptions and judge case by case. Like I dont value Safety or Guard.......but that changes if the safety is Ed reed and the guard is QNelson.  @rmoneyg35 is right about not spending the 7th overall on a NT, but brown showed week 1 -17 thats he entering the exception status. I honestly didnt want Brown cause I thought theres no chance he could repeat his college tape in the pros.....week one about 6 plays into game. Brown forklifts the 400 LB king douche Richie incognito about 4 yards backwards. After the whistle Richie has to adjust his helmet and chin strap. (of course later in the game douche drives at Browns knees and gave other cheap shots). That happened many times during the season, but you had to re-watch and focus on brown. DT are some of the hardest to judge, cause they get no stats. But many times are the reasons for other teammates stats. 

His ceiling could be quite high. I am not disappointed.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

His ceiling could be quite high. I am not disappointed.

I dont know if you seen his most video, but hes gotten stronger this past off-season and focused on core. Video is worth a watch, talks about his football history etc.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Nose tackles don't often  get sacks but they collapse the middle of the pocket preventing QBs from climbing up the pocket to avoid the outside rush. So guys like Burns will get more sacks because QBs have to readjust as they have to retreat or move around in the pocket taking their eyes off downfield. Plus they take on doubles to give other d linemen one on one matchups. 

Vita Vea is considered one of the top nose tackles in the league and has 66 pressures in 3 years. In 2020 he had 2 sacks and in his 3 year career he has 7.5.

Brown in his rookie year had 2 sacks and 19 pressures without much help. That puts him in line with the best nose tackles from a production point of view. Vea was selected number 12 in the first round by Tampa.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Being that space eater is a very important but those guys don't typically command huge salaries or get drafted that highly.

I hear you. But Brown is more to me than just a space eater I guess. He’s that plus a violent play disruptor if not double teamed. I think of Jones as a space eater. Brown is more than that which is what made him warrant the pick imo. 

I know we aren’t really disagreeing with each other. Just making my case that he isn’t just a big body. He must be accounted for or he will cause hell in the middle of the line. 

23 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I hear you. But Brown is more to me than just a space eater I guess. He’s that plus a violent play disruptor if not double teamed. I think of Jones as a space eater. Brown is more than that which is what made him warrant the pick imo. 

I know we aren’t really disagreeing with each other. Just making my case that he isn’t just a big body. He must be accounted for or he will cause hell in the middle of the line. 

He has a high ceiling, so he can definitely be more than a space eater. We will see if he can become a dominant interior guy.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's OK to compliment one of our players on a heady play which set up a teammate for a TFL. Once Brown lowers the flags, he's going to be a solid Pro Bowl-level DT who eats up blockers and lets linebackers eat up ballcarriers.

Our LB were so bad last year he never got credit for doing a good job

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

I was getting pretty damn lathered up today talking about this defense with a buddy.  Derrick Brown didn’t even come up.  Damn this defense could be nasty.

Reddick, Perryman, Horn, Bouye, Jones are all upgrades. Fox and Nixon add depth.   Jackson, Chinn, Burns and Brown have help.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Basbear said:

I dont know if you seen his most video, but hes gotten stronger this past off-season and focused on core. Video is worth a watch, talks about his football history etc.

This video is awesome.   Thank you for sharing.  It deserves its own thread.

"I need that Tom Brady sack."

13 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If you look at the last five DT's drafted in the top 15 (including Brown), none of them are considered elite pass rushers.  The only one that even comes close is Quinnen Williams.

18 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Yes Brown is a beast but let’s be honest, you don’t draft a DT with the 7th pick to be a nose tackle, you get him to get to the QB.

hopefully he will get more sacks this year. He got a lot of QBs pressures and with the signing of Daquan Jones maybe he will be freed up to get more sacks.

You obviously aren't qualified to make this statement.   While you have clearly stated your opinion, NFL front offices around the league disagree with you. 

Brown has already proven his worth. 

Edited by pantherclaw