• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers announce front office positions

Interesting changes...

Pat Stewart is basically third in command now as Vice President of Player Personnel. Jeff Morrow used to be the Executive Director of Player Personnel while Stewart was just the plain old Director, but Morrow's taking a "senior consultant" role in college scouting (which is what a lot of front office types do right before they retire).

Worth noting that Morrow is probably the longest tenured guy in the front office right now, and arguably the guy with the biggest ties to the old administration. The other candidate for that would be Director of Pro Personnel Matt Allen. I know some folks don't take kindly to having Jerry Richardson's grandson still be part of the team but from what I've read, he's well respected and good at his job.

A couple of coaching to front office transitions: They moved EJ Barthel from a coaching assistant to a pro scout. Looks like we'll only have one of those this year after having two last year (Kuechly and James Blanchard). Also moved Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Gus Felder into a "player engagement" role and gave Corner Coach Evan Cooper a front office title, Director of Player Evaluation. 

I can't say I've ever seen anyone have a dual coaching and scouting role in the NFL. Not unusual to have college assistants also work in recruiting, but you typically don't see that kind of multitasking in the pros. Cooper was one of the people that was in the draft war room this year though and is known to be very well trusted by Matt Rhule.

On the downside, he's also reported to have been one of the first guys to suggest signing Teddy Bridgewater last year 😕

As far as the scouting front, besides having one less pro scout, they also have one less area scout (five instead of six) but they've added two national scouts when we didn't have any of those last year. The team also added two "scouting assistants" (basically interns) and a scouting coordinator. 

One of the scouting assistants is named Corey Fuller. I wonder if that's the guy who used to play for the Vikings and the Ravens. The other, Corey Campbell, is another Baylor guy who used to work for Matt Rhule.

Looks like Fitterer and Rhule are trying to beef up the personnel operation. I know from looking that the overall structure we have now is way closer to what they have over in Seattle then what they used to have here.

Here's hoping it pays off.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not sure why, but apparently Ian Rapoport considers this particular item noteworthy.

my guess is because either Pat Stewart is a close source of his, or Pat Stewart's agent called in a favor. the upshot is to portray Pat Stewart as an executive on the rise, aka feel free to interview him for a GM role, which incidentally is probably the only role he could be poached for with his new title.

31 minutes ago, vorbis said:

my guess is because either Pat Stewart is a close source of his, or Pat Stewart's agent called in a favor. the upshot is to portray Pat Stewart as an executive on the rise, aka feel free to interview him for a GM role, which incidentally is probably the only role he could be poached for with his new title.

He's actually already interviewed for a GM job...ours.

Beyond that, all of his history was with the Patriots (save one year with the Eagles).

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interesting changes...

Pat Stewart is basically third in command now as Vice President of Player Personnel. Jeff Morrow used to be the Executive Director of Player Personnel while Stewart was just the plain old Director, but Morrow's taking a "senior consultant" role in college scouting (which is what a lot of front office types do right before they retire).

Worth noting that Morrow is probably the longest tenured guy in the front office right now, and arguably the guy with the biggest ties to the old administration. The other candidate for that would be Director of Pro Personnel Matt Allen. I know some folks don't take kindly to having Jerry Richardson's grandson still be part of the team but from what I've read, he's well respected and good at his job.

A couple of coaching to front office transitions: They moved EJ Barthel from a coaching assistant to a pro scout. Looks like we'll only have one of those this year after having two last year (Kuechly and James Blanchard). Also moved Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Gus Felder into a "player engagement" role and gave Corner Coach Evan Cooper a front office title, Director of Player Evaluation. 

I can't say I've ever seen anyone have a dual coaching and scouting role in the NFL. Not unusual to have college assistants also work in recruiting, but you typically don't see that kind of multitasking in the pros. Cooper was one of the people that was in the draft war room this year though and is known to be very well trusted by Matt Rhule.

On the downside, he's also reported to have been one of the first guys to suggest signing Teddy Bridgewater last year 😕

As far as the scouting front, besides having one less pro scout, they also have one less area scout (five instead of six) but they've added two national scouts when we didn't have any of those last year. The team also added two "scouting assistants" (basically interns) and a scouting coordinator. 

One of the scouting assistants is named Corey Fuller. I wonder if that's the guy who used to play for the Vikings and the Ravens. The other, Corey Campbell, is another Baylor guy who used to work for Matt Rhule.

Looks like Fitterer and Rhule are trying to beef up the personnel operation. I know from looking that the overall structure we have now is way closer to what they have over in Seattle then what they used to have here.

Here's hoping it pays off.

I wish it was that Fuller too, I member long ago watching him sperg out when talking college players. Seen his den and it was FULL of vhs tapes form unknown college players. He turned scouting into a sick hobby. 

Best I can tell its this Corey Fuller bro of Kyle and played WR for VaTech&lions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Fuller_(wide_receiver)

Now Im more than willing to bet no other team has more coaches/employees/scouts/etc. than the panthers. Trepper has truly tell Rhule hire about any and everyone possible. I see why Rhule (and wife)wanted to come now. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

He's actually already interviewed for a GM job...ours.

Beyond that, all of his history was with the Patriots (save one year with the Eagles).

Pats biggest influence is not coaching, its the scout world. I swear it feels like 30% of the GM,VP,scout,directors/etc across the NFL have a NE background. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Pats biggest influence is not coaching, its the scout world. I swear it feels like 30% of the GM,VP,scout,directors/etc across the NFL have a NE background. 

Having history with Matt Rhule definitely helps.

We interviewed another former Patriots guy for our GM job too. Monti Ossenfort made it to the second round but didn't get the job.

Of course, just like Stewart, Ossenfort had a job elsewhere inbetween the Patriots and us.

Edited by Mr. Scot

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interesting changes...

Pat Stewart is basically third in command now as Vice President of Player Personnel.

So how does the stack look?

1.  Rhule

2.  Fitterer

3.  Stewart

That it?

16 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

1.  Rhule

2.  Fitterer

3.  Stewart

That it?

1. Tepper

2. Irrelevant. Tepper is the sole dictator in this Appaloosa Model and will use his mega rich brain to learn everything he needs to know to dominate every other team in the league.

• Beer 2

17 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

1.  Rhule

2.  Fitterer

3.  Stewart

That it?

God- David Alan Tepper

1.  Rhule

2.  Fitterer

3.  Stewart

4. Sir Purr