• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Roster Changes for 2021 (Upgrade or Downgrade)

Michael G

Kerr was solid all year but Jones is an upgrade for sure.  Plus a year of experience under Derrick Brown’s belt, I’m pretty excited about the line as a whole.  

I think Chinn can excel at Safety.  Boston whiffing on tackles is seared into my memory.  Like BadCat said, I really think we improved across the board, especially at CB.  I think Bouye will have a decent year and wishfully thinking that Jackson can stay healthy.  And Big Bad Horn about to put the league on notice 👀

• Pie 3

The biggest holes we had heading into the draft were at cornerback, left tackle, guard, safety and receiver. The Panthers did a good job addressing most of those needs.

But safety is still a question mark after Tre Boston’s release. Although the Panthers have added depth there, there’s no guaranteed starter opposite of Juston Burris.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, PandaMan said:

Kerr was solid all year but Jones is an upgrade for sure.  Plus a year of experience under Derrick Brown’s belt, I’m pretty excited about the line as a whole.  

I Think Daquan will really help in the run on first downs. He should be more successful at helping stuff the run and keeping us out of 2nd and short.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

But safety is still a question mark after Tre Boston’s release. Although the Panthers have added depth there, there’s no guaranteed starter opposite of Juston Burris.

I think Jeremy Chinn is the Unquestioned starter here. The question is who rotates in or over when he plays up into the box. That's still TBD I think.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Michael G said:

I Think Daquan will really help in the run on first downs. He should be more successful at helping stuff the run and keeping us out of 2nd and short.

Yeah, I think so too.  Plus, our biggest problem last year was how horrible we were on 3rd down.  Having those upgrades at CB and improved pressure with the young guys’ growth, we could see a huge leap in that area.  

It was funny last year that the first game Whitehead didn’t play in, we shut out the other team.  Losing him alone improves the squad and I like the energy Perryman brings.  Exciting stuff!  

• Beer 1

I really expect our defense to lay some wood this year, inasmuch as defenses are allowed to play anymore.

Got those rookie learning curves under our belt in some spots and brought in some good new pieces along with some more familiarity with Snow and his ways. I expect some exciting performances from that side of the ball this season.

• Pie 3

20 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I really expect our defense to lay some wood this year, inasmuch as defenses are allowed to play anymore.

Got those rookie learning curves under our belt in some spots and brought in some good new pieces along with some more familiarity with Snow and his ways. I expect some exciting performances from that side of the ball this season.

Last season it was pretty widely expected we’d be one of the bottom 5 or so in the league.  Losing Luke, college DC in his first NFL DC gig, rookies all over the field.  It’s wild how far they’ve come in just one year.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm absolutely STOKED about our new defense. We are stacked with talent across the line. We have talent all throughout the secondary unlike we've ever really had. While our other safety not named Chinn, hasn't been decided, I  still believe we'll be better than we have been in ....well, forever. 

While linebacker seems to be the new favorite griping point, we have a true MLB, that is smart and capable.  He may no coverage freak like Luke, but I'm positive he won't disappoint as long as he remains healthy for us. We still have talented veteran leadership along side of him also. 

With the heat that our pass rush will be able to consistently bring, our secondary will feast!

I expect a lot of short Fields for our offense!!

• Beer 1

Thoughts/on paper it seems like a improvement across the board......BUT I need to see live snaps against other teams before I can give the improve stamp.

CBs- Horn could struggle like many other rookie CB, AJ is missing two at the start and looked at careers end last year(still love the signing)

DL- Jones was not in high demand, Nixon is rookie. Will reddick play at the line like he wants, or more middle field with the LBs? Fox is new to system and area, may take him one year to adjust(like most FAs)

LB- Perryman is the only added player and very injury-prone. Need surprise players to set up here, badly.

Safety- I like the group, but 98% of the huddle doesnt.   

I have to wonder if Jones will help Brown get more sacks? I mean he really didn’t have a good DT beside him to take up blockers.  Now he does which should free up Brown who if I remember correctly got a lot of QB pressures last year. 

I saw that Burris was the top or one of the top ranked safeties in the slot. I think he’s a solid player. I think Franklin can be a good player too.

Perryman is a big upgrade he just has to stay healthy. I think Carter is a solid player and should be able to come in if Perryman gets injured.

on paper CB looks greatly improved. We don’t know how good Horn will be in the NFL. Honestly I’m worried he might not be the dominate player we drafted him to be. I mean look at his tape, I don’t know if he can get away with that in the NFL. He will need to adapt. I think we will find out very quickly if he can adapt or not.

Nixon could be a great player for us but I think he might not do much his rookie year. Honestly I don’t expect him o do anything until year 2 or 3 but I do see a lot of potential in him.

overall I think our defense greatly improved.

• Pie 1