• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OPTIONS: Terry Extension, Resign Monk, Trade Hayward, Resign Graham

bLACKpANTHER

Rozier Extension:

Two years ago, Rozier's three-year, $56.7 million contract was thought of as an overpay. The Hornets were paying starter money (an average of $19 million per season) to a player who never averaged more than 26 minutes nor shot above 40% in four seasons with the Boston Celtics.
Now as Rozier enters the final year of that contract, he's seen as one of the bargains in the NBA. Rozier posted career highs in offensive rating (110.9), true shooting percentage (57.5%), field goal percentage (45.0%) and points per game (20.4) this season. He's also become incredibly efficient in the midrange, going from a 39.5% shooter to a 57.4% shooter on shots taken 10-14 feet from the basket, per NBA.com.
Rozier is eligible for a contract extension this offseason, but because his salary is declining (from $18.9 to $17.9 million), the maximum that Charlotte can offer is $96.3 million over four seasons. The cap hit in the first year of the extension would be $21.5 million

Monk Resign:

Monk eventually got an opportunity to crack the rotation in late January, playing a total of 28 minutes and scoring 13 points in a home-and-home series with Indiana. Two nights later in Miami, Monk posted a career-high 36 points on 9-of-13 shooting from 3. In the next 24 games, Monk averaged 14.1 points on 39.4% shooting from 3, posting at least 10 points 18 times.

Monk will certainly now receive that qualifying offer and the question now for the front office becomes what is their comfort level in both salary and years on a multiyear deal for Monk.

According to ProFitX, Monk's starting salary in 2021-22 projects to be $8.4 million, a salary comparable to Philadelphia 76ers guard Seth Curry. If Monk comes in at that number, the Hornets could have the best of both worlds: their sixth man on a contract that is comparable to the midlevel exception and more than $13 million in cap space (plus their $4.9 million room midlevel exception) to use to sign a free agent like Sacramento Kings big man Richaun Holmes.

Hayward Trade Possibility:

Gordon Hayward has a 15% trade bonus. If Hayward is traded in the offseason the bonus would be worth $13.9 million and Charlotte is responsible for paying the full amount.

Graham Resign Possibility:

Graham is one of the great success stories in the NBA, going from averaging 14.7 minutes his rookie season (and spending 13 games in the G-League) to starting a combined 97 games over the past two seasons, averaging 16.6 PPG in that span.
Although Graham has never shot above 40% in his career and 70% of his attempts come from 3, the 26-year old has found ways to make an impact. He had 19 games this season with at least seven assists, and ranked No. 6 among all point guards in real plus-minus. He also cut down on turnovers, going from 2.9 per game in 2019-20 to 1.5 this season.
Graham is a restricted free agent and the Hornets will have the right to match on an offer sheet. Graham's starting number is $8 million (comparable to 
Denver Nuggets guard Monte Morris) and could increase as high as $11 million, slightly above the midlevel exception. The salary projection according to ProFitX is $9.6 million.

• Pie 2

I highly doubt Hayward gets traded. If he misses a lot of games next season, I could see it happening after that though.

Resigning Graham should be a gimme. As your quote says, he is a success story the team can point to. Plus, he doesn't seem to mind being a backup for Ball.

I'm torn on Terry. He's a good scorer most nights, which the Hornets really need, but he also seems to go cold at the worst time. If Terry would sign a team friendly deal, then go for it. If not, trade him for what they can get.

Monk? I've never been a fan and don't care if he leaves. They could sign or draft someone else to replace him easily enough. Riller might actually be able to do so and he's already on the roster.

• Beer 1

Just saw a rumor about Gordon being traded. Terry has at least proven himself clutch. For all the Graham hype he has a knack for tossing up some ill timed bricks. I like him and Malik a lot but we can't keep both and we need trade capital because I am done with the shitshow that has been the center position for years now.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

I'm trading Terry, resigning Monk, letting Graham walk and trading Hayward for turner.

Ball

Monk

Bridges

Washington 

Turner

Starters look good to me, problem is now we have 0 bench. Sorry guys I'm new at gm'ing

Edited by toldozer
  • Pie 1

trading Terry is off the table for me - unless you are talking about getting back a multi-year Allstar..

after learning about the $14m kicker for trading Hayward - I am 100% sure he isn't going anywhere this offseason..

I am also more inclined to resign Graham than Monk at this point..

I am not sure who it will be - but I am willing to bet we get one of Turner, Holmes, Allen or Noel.. rumors of Towns have been thrown around as well 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

trading Terry is off the table for me - unless you are talking about getting back a multi-year Allstar..

after learning about the $14m kicker for trading Hayward - I am 100% sure he isn't going anywhere this offseason..

I am not sure who it will be - but I am willing to bet we get one of Turner, Holmes, Allen or Noel.. rumors of Towns have been thrown around as well 

townes would be a great get

Terry Rozier sucks....... You think it is a good idea to sign him to a max and have Hayward on a max? The team didn't even make the playoffs and you wouldn't be able to sign anyone else because you'd have no cap space. Geez our fans are so bad or just want the 8th seed every year. Rozier is a role guy on a decent team and we will probably give him a max. SMH

8 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Heck yea. Let's resign the whole team that didn't make the freakin playoffs in a year 10 teams did and have no cap space. Gee wiz the ignorance.