Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

0.00% chance Tepper builds a new stadium in South Carolina...unbuilt/planned practice/office facilities have already gone completely sideways.


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, grateflday said:

The only negative (for Tepper only) is he doesn’t get to participate in the parking revenue the current way.  

If he buys all the pipe and foundry land, there is 20+ acres on the other side of 277.  I am sure a parking deck would be part of that plan, if not in the entertainment district he is planning.

But y'all need to remember....Tepper isn't in this for a few million bucks a year in parking revenue.  He is worth almost 15bil.  He probably wipes his ass with 2mil a year.  A modest return of 5% on his worth is $750,000,000/yr.  He is playing the long game.  What is worth more long term...a mixed use entertainment district in uptown Charlotte, or a parking lot that brings in a few mil a year?  Everything is a long term play, not a quick money grab.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott12345 said:

you think tepper cares about traffic?...parking alone down there makes him more millions

with charlotte city council involved, i think the chance of a new stadium in SC are very high

At this point building a stadium anywhere seems a long shot. So honestly what you and I think is irrelevant. Frankly I think it should stay at BOA which makes my PSL potentially valuable again. I can say if they moved to Rock Hill I won't be buying season tickets or PSLs instead supporting soccer in BOA where I bought lower level seats for next year. I would buy suite seats for a few games and have fun at the new stadium but every other Sunday during the Fall?  Not interested. I doubt I am alone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grateflday said:

For people who think and say having a stadium at a location where you have a big parking lot around the stadium makes it easier to get in and out are totally mistaken.  I’ve been to plenty of stadiums like that and it can takes hours to get out of there after games. Stadiums and even arenas with big massive parking lots are the worst.   Having the parking spread out all across the city like it is now makes it much easier & quicker to get on the road after a game.  The only negative (for Tepper only) is he doesn’t get to participate in the parking revenue the current way.  
 

Overall, for many reasons, the best location for the stadium is where it is now and despite the fact I don’t think Panthers need one (still a very nice stadium, with plenty of suites, club seats etc) the most likely scenario will be to play somewhere else while they tear down and build at the current location.  Or simply keep upgrading the current stadium and if possible retrofit with a retractable dome so Tepper can have his final fours and other stuff.  

After all the work they have done to.upgrade BOA for soccer suggests it is going to be the soccer venue for the foreseeable future. The football stadium is another matter. But spending tons on stadiums doesn't seem real popular right now unless there is a real threat to relocate which doesn't seem to be likely. And he said he wouldn't be doing it by himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

After all the work they have done to.upgrade BOA for soccer suggests it is going to be the soccer venue for the foreseeable future. The football stadium is another matter. But spending tons on stadiums doesn't seem real popular right now unless there is a real threat to relocate which doesn't seem to be likely. And he said he wouldn't be doing it by himself.

I agree and don’t think building a new stadium would be very popular right now (even in best of times it’s not very popular) and now especially coming out of Covid etc and lots of unknowns about the future etc its not something that would go over well.  The stadium has the main thing the owners want which is the suites and club seats, of which BofA has plenty.  There is also lots of room inside to add amenities.  They don’t have the party decks,  but have put out scenarios where they can add them.  The only real and main thing I see it doesn’t have and what Tepper wants is maybe a retractable roof.   Hopefully this discussion simply continues for years, never gets done , or they retrofit and upgrade the current stadium for football because I have awesome seats and don’t want to lose them 😎😎.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gofightwin said:

If he buys all the pipe and foundry land, there is 20+ acres on the other side of 277.  I am sure a parking deck would be part of that plan, if not in the entertainment district he is planning.

But y'all need to remember....Tepper isn't in this for a few million bucks a year in parking revenue.  He is worth almost 15bil.  He probably wipes his ass with 2mil a year.  A modest return of 5% on his worth is $750,000,000/yr.  He is playing the long game.  What is worth more long term...a mixed use entertainment district in uptown Charlotte, or a parking lot that brings in a few mil a year?  Everything is a long term play, not a quick money grab.  

I hear you and agree it’s more than just parking revenue but also a person who has made billions is counting the revenue they’re not getting from parking as part of the picture.  Overall I agree he wants a big entertainment, sports district and if he buys the pipe factory land hopefully he builds all kinds of stuff there and leaves the stadium where it’s at for all the other reasons i mention in my posts.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Former (and future?) South Carolina gubernatorial candidate John Warren continued his reemergence on the Palmetto State’s political scene this month, slamming an egregious piece of corporate welfare awarded two years ago to a liberal billionaire. This bailout was championed by his rival, incumbent “Republican” governor Henry McMaster, and other leading GOP politicians as part of their ongoing “crony capitalist” approach to economic development.

Anyone who continued reading beyond this first paragraph and still believed this was honest, factual and objective reporting deserves whatever stupidity they enjoy in their lives.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2021 at 10:32 AM, SizzleBuzz said:

...but it doesn't change the facts that (a) the financial package given to a multi-billionaire who doesn't need to money is now a serious political hot potato in the State of SC, and (b) said package is already off the rails from a financial perspective.

Jeff Bezos doesn't need the money, either, but every fugging state in the country was willing to give him a financial blowjob in the middle of Times Square on live TV so he'd build a new hub somewhere in their state.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Former (and future?) South Carolina gubernatorial candidate John Warren continued his reemergence on the Palmetto State’s political scene this month, slamming an egregious piece of corporate welfare awarded two years ago to a liberal billionaire. This bailout was championed by his rival, incumbent “Republican” governor Henry McMaster, and other leading GOP politicians as part of their ongoing “crony capitalist” approach to economic development.

Anyone who continued reading beyond this first paragraph and still believed this was honest, factual and objective reporting deserves whatever stupidity they enjoy in their lives.

Agree it was heavily biased but unfortunately these days many folks listen and believe every word of these kind of articles

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gofightwin said:

Crossland and Tepper Sports are still investing 200mil to create commercial real estate space, a public park, soccer and recreational sports fields, a grocery store, affordable housing and additional residential offerings.  It just isn't an MLS team HQ anymore.  

Peace out, enjoy your Waze guided drive to get fireworks and booze off of Carowinds Blvd this weekend. 

 

 

I'd be interested in seeing information on the specific amount of $money$ that Tepper has committed to the project -- could you provide said info?

LOL...I wouldn't go to Carowinds if you paid me!  (now and then I do go to the Cabelas next door for lures and ammo...never had a problem getting in an out)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

Jeff Bezos doesn't need the money, either, but every fugging state in the country was willing to give him a financial blowjob in the middle of Times Square on live TV so he'd build a new hub somewhere in their state.

 

You familiar with what went down in Queens?  😉

Edited by SizzleBuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

 

I'd be interested in seeing information on the specific amount of $money$ that Tepper has committed to the project -- could you provide said info?

LOL...I wouldn't go to Carowinds if you paid me!  (now and then I do go to the Cabelas next door for lures and ammo...never had a problem getting in an out)

Maybe just read the Charlotte Business Journal?  I mean its not quite the "own the libs" stuff you read but they have solid journalism.  If you want me to get copies of the Crosland/Tepper agreement for the Eastland site, I will get right on that. If you think Crosland is building him a 20 acre MLS soccer academy at Eastland for free, I would venture you are wrong.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/26/county-city-funding-for-eastland-makeover.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/10/eastland-mls-stadium-upgrades-win-council-approval.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

 If you want me to get copies of the Crosland/Tepper agreement for the Eastland site, I will get right on that.

If you think Crosland is building him a 20 acre MLS soccer academy at Eastland for free, I would venture you are wrong.

Yes, I would like to see that.

I've seen nothing that gives any details on Tepper's specific $dollar$ commitment to "developing" the old Eastland Mall site. 

That area is a wasteland, he's not going to plow a bunch of his own money into "developing" it...

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

At this point building a stadium anywhere seems a long shot. So honestly what you and I think is irrelevant. Frankly I think it should stay at BOA which makes my PSL potentially valuable again. I can say if they moved to Rock Hill I won't be buying season tickets or PSLs instead supporting soccer in BOA where I bought lower level seats for next year. I would buy suite seats for a few games and have fun at the new stadium but every other Sunday during the Fall?  Not interested. I doubt I am alone.

I do agree that downtown is the best place…such a cool atmosphere and with light rail running north & South now, downtown is easily accessible…parking is not a big deal either, if you even halfway know what you are doing

but to think that people won’t go for PSLs in SC is naive…and don’t think that tepper wouldn’t be interested in some parking cash

and Tepper wants to build a new stadium and it’s gonna be a big deal, within the next 5 years

and not many folks are gonna dump NFL football for soccer…I sure won’t be

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...