• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

0.00% chance Tepper builds a new stadium in South Carolina...unbuilt/planned practice/office facilities have already gone completely sideways.

SizzleBuzz

6 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

The current Carowinds site would be an awesome place for a new stadium...

image.thumb.png.f6d152fc2d2da8a57ea41b4730727ae5.png

I mean, sure, if you're a fan of suburban stadium complexes that are completely detached from the city they reside in (a la the new Braves stadium which isn't even in the same county as Atlanta). Also the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of roller coasters might get in the way of your plan here.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I mean, sure, if you're a fan of suburban stadium complexes that are completely detached from the city they reside in (a la the new Braves stadium which isn't even in the same county as Atlanta). Also the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of roller coasters might get in the way of your plan here.

The Carowinds site is a short 14 minute drive from Panthers Stadium and getting in/out would be easier for just about everyone...and it also plays well to the 2-states/1-team theme in that the site straddles the NC/SC border.

Most of the infrastructure at Carowinds is old and tired and has been significantly if not fully depreciated...and the site would certainly be less expensive than the Charlotte Pipe & Foundry land (on a per acre basis anyway).

Personally I like have the stadium in town as well but clearly Tepper is hankering for a new one and it would seem he is going to consider all options in the process.

NOTE: This isn't my idea per se, a while back some other poster on this site suggested and I just happen to think his suggestion is a good one...would credit him if I could remember who said it!

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

The Carowinds site is a short 14 minute drive from Panthers Stadium and getting in/out would be easier for just about everyone...and it also plays well to the 2-states/1-team theme in that the site straddles the NC/SC border.

Most of the infrastructure at Carowinds is old and tired and has been significantly if not fully depreciated...and the site would certainly be less expensive than the Charlotte Pipe & Foundry land (on a per acre basis anyway).

Personally I like have the stadium in town as well but clearly Tepper is hankering for a new one and it would seem he is going to consider all options in the process.

NOTE: This isn't my idea per se, a while back some other poster on this site suggested and I just happen to think his suggestion is a good one...would credit him if I could remember who said it!

I just don’t think Tepper and the Panthers want to be the ones to destroy Carowinds.

I personally hate that place, but the optics of a billionaire bulldozing a nostalgic landmark like that with taxpayer money wouldn’t be good. 

He’d make a lot of enemies doing that.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

LOLOLOL.  You think 70k people leaving on Carowinds Blvd is going to be quicker for almost everyone...apparently you have never even been to Carowinds on a weekend. 

Any yes, I am sure it would be cheaper to buy out a theme park that whos parent company brings in revenue of about 1.5bil a year.  Their value is almost that of Tepper.   😆

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

40 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I just don’t think Tepper and the Panthers want to be the ones to destroy Carowinds.

I personally hate that place, but the optics of a billionaire bulldozing a nostalgic landmark like that with taxpayer money wouldn’t be good. 

He’d make a lot of enemies doing that.

Place is a sh*thole...he'd be doing us all a favor!

Seriously, it's a business and theme parks change hands all the time, nobody would give a f*ck if Tepper bought it and shut it down.

41 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

LOLOLOL.  You think 70k people leaving on Carowinds Blvd is going to be quicker for almost everyone...apparently you have never even been to Carowinds on a weekend. 

Any yes, I am sure it would be cheaper to buy out a theme park that whos parent company brings in revenue of about 1.5bil a year.  Their value is almost that of Tepper.   😆

There would obviously be improvements made in terms if direct ingress/egress to the property and yes, given the direct access to the interstate system I do believe it would be way easier than departing the gridlock that takes place after every Panthers game.

Would you like to take a shot at re-writing your 2nd paragraph?  As it currently stands makes no sense at all...

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 3

3 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Place is a sh*thole...he'd be doing us all a favor!

Seriously, it's a business and theme parks change hands all the time, nobody would give a f*ck if Tepper bought it and shut it down.

Putting the stadium on top of Carowinds is a fantasy that has no basis in reality and is just not going to happen.  Not to mention, Carowinds is a mess  because the property is in two states, with 2 state/county/local  tax rates, labor and liquor laws.  It severely hampers management.

Tepper is never going to place a stadium there.

14 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Putting the stadium on top of Carowinds is a fantasy that has no basis in reality and is just not going to happen.  Not to mention, Carowinds is a mess  because the property is in two states, with 2 state/county/local  tax rates, labor and liquor laws.  It severely hampers management.

Tepper is never going to place a stadium there.

Nonsense.

Carowinds operates just fine (despite all your imagined headwinds) and they do sell alcohol.  Everything in life is negotiable and both states would have every incentive to negotiate an attractive operating environment for Mr. Tepper.

It's certainly not probable but it's definitely possible.

5 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Yes.

You should probably stick to sports as I don't think "economic development" is in your wheelhouse.  Tepper is going to make a great deal money by developing the area around an uptown stadium.  No one is developing anything off of Carowinds Blvd.  Its a sea of warehouses and distribution centers.  Please, just stop with Carowinds being "possible".  It's not.  It's a poo location.  It's currently a profitable business.  It isn't going to be redeveloped in his lifetime.  It's just as "possible" that he buys Crowders Mountain and bulldozes and puts it there.