• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

0.00% chance Tepper builds a new stadium in South Carolina...unbuilt/planned practice/office facilities have already gone completely sideways.

SizzleBuzz

On 6/24/2021 at 10:32 AM, SizzleBuzz said:

I only recently learned of it as a byproduct of reading up on the Murdaugh situation down in Hampton County, SC.

I do agree that the blogger is anything but an arms-length independent reporter presenting stories in a fair & balanced manner...

...but it doesn't change the facts that (a) the financial package given to a multi-billionaire who doesn't need to money is now a serious political hot potato in the State of SC, and (b) said package is already off the rails from a financial perspective.

It's a real story...

Most of the noise on this in SC is coming from a guy not in office but wanting to be governor…I wouldn’t underestimate SC as wanting the stadium there, they would have all Panthers

9 hours ago, gofightwin said:

If he buys all the pipe and foundry land, there is 20+ acres on the other side of 277.  I am sure a parking deck would be part of that plan, if not in the entertainment district he is planning.

But y'all need to remember....Tepper isn't in this for a few million bucks a year in parking revenue.  He is worth almost 15bil.  He probably wipes his ass with 2mil a year.  A modest return of 5% on his worth is $750,000,000/yr.  He is playing the long game.  What is worth more long term...a mixed use entertainment district in uptown Charlotte, or a parking lot that brings in a few mil a year?  Everything is a long term play, not a quick money grab.  

Yes…but we can’t muff it up or SC will pounce 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tepper owns very little, if any, of the private property surrounding BOA nor does he own the dirt BOA is sitting on. One of the many Richardson companies owned the parking rights and leasing revenue from the annual parking fees, but Tepper wants to own the land as well as everything he builds on it, which is why I think he wants to build new elsewhere.

23 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

I’ve never really considered SC as Panthers can see. Mostly Falcons fans

Nah, just the border counties with Georgia mostly.  No different than the Eastern part on NC still having a strong contingent of Washington fans.

Edited by 45catfan

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Nah, just the border counties with Georgia mostly.  No different than the Eastern part on NC still having a strong contingent of Washington fans.

I have spent considerable amounts of time in SC and I never saw strong support in Rock Hill, Columbia, Florence or Charleston. All places I would go to sports bars to watch games. 

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have spent considerable amounts of time in SC and I never saw strong support in Rock Hill, Columbia, Florence or Charleston. All places I would go to sports bars to watch games. 

Actually, outside of metro Charlotte, you don't see strong support.  Granted this has been over a decade ago, but I lived in western NC for a while and for about a year in Raleigh.  To say the support was weak would be an understatement.  Finding merchandise at retail stores was sparse and even gamedays was almost void of fans decked out in Panthers gear.  Heck, I would go to bars and have to request the games to be shown.

Getting back to SC, like most states void of Major League teams, they are heavily invested in college sports.  I know the Panthers are in the 'Carolinas,' but they will always take a back seat to Clemson and Gamecocks. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Actually, outside of metro Charlotte, you don't see strong support.  Granted this has been over a decade ago, but I lived in western NC for a while and for about a year in Raleigh.  To say the support was weak would be an understatement.  Finding merchandise at retail stores was sparse and even gamedays was almost void of fans decked out in Panthers gear.  Heck, I would go to bars and have to request the games to be shown.

Getting back to SC, like most states void of Major League teams, they are heavily invested in college sports.  I know the Panthers are in the 'Carolinas,' but they will always take a back seat to Clemson and Gamecocks. 

True, I live in Raleigh and the support is much less than I would like. The Panthers are never able to draw nearly the numbers the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, etc are at the local sports bars. I've been openly heckled at local bars with a Cam jersey on(largely from Pats fans).

On 6/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, Basbear said:

@SizzleBuzz where are you in the "tepper could move the team" realm? 

Basbear, I place the odds of him moving the team at exactly 0.00%.

The chances that Richardson would have moved it were exactly the same but the CLT City Council caved to hollow threats and wrote him a big check. 

Tepper has the ultimate operating environment directly in hand presently -- it's insane how good the Panthers have it here. 

1. Fan base that has no understanding of the sunk-cost concept and pays up for tickets year-in, year-out regardless of how lousy the product is.

2. A great economic/tax climate to operate in that is attractive to both him as an owner/operator and the players who play for the team. 

3. A great stadium which he controls 100% -- answers to nobody in terms of stadium operations.

4. A terrific/moderate weather climate that lends itself to outdoor games -- I sincerely hope CLT never has a "dome".

5. No competition for corporate clients/sponsors -- Panthers are always the first consideration when companies allocate sports entertainment dollars and if there's money left over then maybe the Bobcats get thrown a bone.

6. A town that is attractive to the players and their families -- just look at all the retired guys who had no connection to the CLT before coming to play for the Panthers and choose to stay upon retirement.

I could go on...

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1