• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 strangest moves of the Carolina Panthers 2021 offseason so far

SBBlue

link:5 strangest moves of the Carolina Panthers 2021 offseason so far (catcrave.com)

• Carolina Panthers let Efe Obada walk- career-high 5.5 sacks and signed cheap to the Bills
  • Carolina Panthers signed Pat Elflein-  Why?  Why?
  • Carolina Panthers signed Cam Erving --  Again, Why?
  • Carolina Panthers haven’t tied down Taylor Moton yet
  • Carolina Panthers released Tre Boston-    Huh? 

1st three  I can see.

We think we know why we haven't signed T-Mo now...he's going to be very pricey and there is non-completely-remote chance he moves to LT.  I'd still feel better if we locked him up in a long term deal.

The last one is a headscratcher.  Tre Boston was just not very good, especially in coverage.

• Pie 1

1, 4, 5 are reasonably explainable, IMO. It's a lot harder to explain 2, 3. 

I loved Obada to death but he is also an older player that is still really a developmental guy. That's a tough guy to keep around for a team like ours.

Tre Boston was overpaid for what he gave us. Easier to gamble on cheaper and younger players to help us.

• Beer 1

Gotta agree with the consensus here on T-bos.  He’s a Tar Heel so he gets some sentiments from me there but, he’s just never been what he either could or should be.  No secret he was an easy cap scratch.

Our line is so sus, that any, ANY potential upgrade is well worth the risk.  We identified, targeted and landed our FAs.  That’s all you can ask for from the FO.  

Competition had to be increased up front.  No way to change that other than sign/draft people. Did that, now let’s see how it went?

Efe may have been a scheme fit issue.  He also could have over played his hand here in negotiations and ended up having to take less in Buffalo?  Who knows?

5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

The Zach Kerr release is my #1 by far. The dude flashed a ton last year and was on a very cheap contract.

I thought the same thing.  So did pff (84.1 to Jones 67.7) and Kerr had 1 more sack than Jones with 4 sacks.

Jones was a starter with 33 tackles and Kerr was rotational with 16.  I assume Kerr had fewer snaps, but I don't know the diff.

Kerr is a year older at 30 and Jones has been a starter a long time.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Trading for Sam Darnold should be number 1 on the list.

I sure felt it was strange when it was announced.  The more a looked into the situation, the more I was convinced that this could really work.

I guess we are going to find out.

33 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I thought the same thing.  So did pff (84.1 to Jones 67.7) and Kerr had 1 more sack than Jones with 4 sacks.

Jones was a starter with 33 tackles and Kerr was rotational with 16.  I assume Kerr had fewer snaps, but I don't know the diff.

Kerr is a year older at 30 and Jones has been a starter a long time.

True but also I don’t even think it necessarily makes sense to compare Kerr and Jones because Kerr’s release didn’t even coincide with the Jones signing, so it’s not like our FO was thinking of it in terms of a direct comparison. Kerr was released over a month before Jones’ signing. Jones was signed presumably because we had a big hole at DT that was contributed in part by the Kerr release, so it seems pretty irresponsible to have released Kerr before a contingency plan was put in place.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

True but also I don’t even think it necessarily makes sense to compare Kerr and Jones because Kerr’s release didn’t even coincide with the Jones signing, so it’s not like our FO was thinking of it in terms of a direct comparison. Kerr was released over a month before Jones’ signing. Jones was signed presumably because we had a big hole at DT that was contributed in part by the Kerr release, so it seems pretty irresponsible to have released Kerr before a contingency plan was put in place.

I agree.  It does seem to be pretty common in the league to make the space before filling it, not always, but not uncommon.  It doesn't seem prudent. 

Maybe they had a verbal with Jones and it took a month to work the contract.  We still haven't signed all of rookies from the draft and those contacts are governed by the union player agreement.

Maybe they do this because its best for the FA market.  We rely on other teams to do the same thing for our acquisitions.  

It seems its  best for the player to be released earlier rather than later to find a landing spot and get acclimated.   

Just thoughts, I really don't know.

• Pie 1