• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pro Football Network ranks the offensive lines

Captain Morgan

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

I fully agree and this 2021 season will be another year the OL coaches will have to excel if we are to have a halfway decent OL.

I meant more that Teddy getting rid of the ball quickly and Brady's offense made that line look a lot better than they were. The PBWR stats kind of alluded to that.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

yeah, but in fairness....you can't really call a 6th rounder investing in the OL.   Doesn't mean it can't work out.  But if you have a weak OL no one is going to give you a thumbs up when half your investment was in round 6. 

I think playcalling and Sam's ability to execute will ultimately determine how bad the OL is.  I think the majority of OLs are in the same tier.  Subpar.  QBs and playcalling have a lot to do with how the cluster of OLs ultimately gets viewed. 

There’s a difference between “didn’t invest” and “didn’t invest enough in my opinion”. What they said tells you they don’t even know that we drafted two OL, which undermines anything else they said if they don’t even know that. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Investing <> filling out the roster. 5 of the 22 starters are OL. Considering that OL has the most upgradeable spots even after FA, taking 2 of 11 draft picks at OL isn’t investing, it’s making sure you have 9 OL for the 53. Taking 7 of 7 2020 picks on D was investing in the D. There’s a difference between investing and filling out the roster/taking flyers late in the draft.

That's the thing. If you looked at our FA signings and draft under the assumption that we had 5 quality starters on the roster already, the narrative would be completely different. We'd be talking about what a great job we did filling out the depth on our OL unit.

That was honestly the way I felt about all our OL moves. They acted as if we just needed to bolster depth. As it stands, we have two NFL starters and a pile of journeymen and depth pieces.

I still can't wrap my head around the thought process.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I mean, we did. He may or may not play LT for us, but it’s indisputable we drafted a LT…

Thats semantics and you know it.  How about this, we didnt draft a potential NFL LT.  Whereas over in LA the Chargers picked Slater and already has given him the LT position.  Now I like Horn especially if he has shades of Ramesy but at some motherfuging point we are going to have to use a high draft pick to select a LT.  Look at the playoff teams look at the super bowl teams from the past half dozen years and you will see a theme. 

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I mean, we did. He may or may not play LT for us, but it’s indisputable we drafted a LT…

We drafted someone that might can compete to play OG this year in the 3rd round and then drafted another G in the 6th round. 

I mean, I don't dislike either pick.  I actually like the 6th round kid probably more than most.  I just don't see how we can get upset that those on the outside view it as us not doing much.....especially given how we and the outside have long viewed the OL.  And we will have a struggling QB that has shown little ability to mask OL deficiencies.   It is an odd strategy. 

52 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agree with this even if we didn’t think he’d start. Christensen played LT, simple as that.

Armanti Edwards played QB.  Did we draft a WR or a QB? 

Reality is we drafted a WR.   At this point, all indications are we drafted someone to come in and play OG.  

I honestly don’t understand how this years line is perceived as worse compared to last years. Bitcoin boy Okung played like 2 games and walked off with his money, are we really missing Chris Reed?? The depth on this line is awesome, this is by no means a special oline but I honestly would not be suprised to finish the end of the year around the 15-20th range.

Edited by shaq
  • Pie 1

19 hours ago, stbugs said:

Who do you think will start in their place? They were signed to be starters. Who else do we have? Trent Scott, Daley, Little and the rookies, one undrafted and one 6th.

You can’t make the assumption that any of those guys are assumed to start over Erving and Elflein. That’s why we’ve been ranked low. A starting 5 of Erving, Elflein, Paradis, Miller and Moton is a bottom OL based on their 2019/2020 play.

We have to hope that the staff knows something.

At this point, we have to assume that Christensen will start somewhere on that line, even if the coaches haven't figured out where. Also, Miller and Moton held the right side down like bosses last year. Things aren't as bleak as PFF makes out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, shaq said:

I honestly don’t understand how this years line is perceived as worse compared to last years. Bitcoin boy Okung played like 2 games and walked off with his money, are we really missing Chris Reed?? The depth on this line is awesome, this is by no means a special oline but I honestly would not be suprised to finish the end of the year around the 15-20th range.

well, when being compared to other teams....

you can certainly drop by simply remaining the same. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I can't imagine they aren't improved to some extent. They were better than expected and not awful last year

I thought they did fairly well last year.  I am actually not too worried about the Oline. We added a lot of depth in FA and some starting competition in the draft. I think they will be alright.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There’s a difference between “didn’t invest” and “didn’t invest enough in my opinion”. What they said tells you they don’t even know that we drafted two OL, which undermines anything else they said if they don’t even know that. 

Rhule and Co., in 2 short years, have put together a Roster that is as good as we have seen in a long time. One that most fans can agree will challenge, and compete with almost everyone.

BUT...because the Oline isn't the bestest in the whole wide world. You have folks up in arms that things weren't done properly.

The building of this team is yet to be completed. Maybe we can wait until the process is complete, before we decide to burn the place down?

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I thought they did fairly well last year.  I am actually not too worried about the Oline. We added a lot of depth in FA and some starting competition in the draft. I think they will be alright.

Maybe that Oline is not as stacked as folks would prefer. But 2 short years ago this team had little talent, and more holes than Swiss Cheese.

I have no fear that if Rhule and Co. continue to build as competently as they have to date. The Oline will be in a better place sooner than later.

My God people. This only Rhules 2nd year. His 1st with Fitt. Maybe, just maybe we can give them more time?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1