• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You are invited to the Huddle E-BBQ! (the non-game day menu thread)

Captain Morgan

For us, I am smoking some wild boar ribs.  I have no idea what we will be having with them. I've never made wild boar before, so this is a six-hour experiment.  The weather is forecast to be 79, so it is "a beautiful day to be smoking ribs."

As for drinks, it could be hard cider, beer, gin, or even wine.  We've become gin fans (I always have been) since we tried some barrel-aged craft gin on a trip to Colorado last fall.  That may be round one.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

lol - here is a pic of my first cherokee purple mater sandwich of the season that I ate a couple weeks back - omg it was the best ever I swear

Try putting Duke's Mayonaise 8 oz. on the sandwich if you aren't already using it.

first mater sandwich.jpeg

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

fug this. I am getting banned.

Mayo SUCKS.

I agree MOST mayo sucks.  Dukes is the exception.  Miracle Whip, Hellmanns, Kraft etc.. are all horrible.  Pooing Dukes won't get you banned, but it certainly will get your 'Southern card' revoked. 🙂

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I agree MOST mayo sucks.  Dukes is the exception.  Miracle Whip, Hellmanns, Kraft etc.. are all horrible.  Pooing Dukes won't get you banned, but it certainly will get your 'Southern card' revoked. 🙂

Bingo. Duke's Mayonaise 8 oz.is the only way to go.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

For us, I am smoking some wild boar ribs.  I have no idea what we will be having with them. I've never made wild boar before, so this is a six-hour experiment.  The weather is forecast to be 79, so it is "a beautiful day to be smoking ribs."

As for drinks, it could be hard cider, beer, gin, or even wine.  We've become gin fans (I always have been) since we tried some barrel-aged craft gin on a trip to Colorado last fall.  That may be round one.

I've smoked wild pigs, not sure what kind of boar you're got.  Wild ones don't have nearly as much fat as farm grown, so keep an eye  on em so they don't dry out.  Lots of folks will put bacon over wild game while cooking so they don't get too dry.

The ones I got were feral hogs raiding farms in the Pee Dee...they were eating a lot of what farm raised hogs are fed, so the taste was very much the same, just leaner.

• Beer 2

This is an awesome finger food that goes very good with beer. If you make chili beans these are a MUST HAVE! Very easy to make and damn they are good!

spacer.png

FIRE CRACKERS

1 Box Saltine Crackers

1 2/3 C. Veg. Oil

1 tsp Garlic Powder

1 tsp Onion Powder

½ tsp Black Pepper

3 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper

¼ tsp Chili Powder

¼ tsp Paprika

1 tsp Tony Chachere’s Cajun Season

2 (1oz) Envelops Hidden Valley Ranch Original

Pour oil, spices and ranch mix into a 2 gal. plastic zipper bag, seal and smoosh all ingredients until very well mixed.

Add crackers, seal and turn over and over (a lot) to coat crackers. Let sit approximately 1 hour and turn over and over again. Repeat several times and allow bag to sit over night.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Shufdog said:

This is an awesome finger food that goes very good with beer. If you make chili beans these are a MUST HAVE! Very easy to make and damn they are good!

spacer.png

FIRE CRACKERS

1 Box Saltine Crackers

1 2/3 C. Veg. Oil

1 tsp Garlic Powder

1 tsp Onion Powder

½ tsp Black Pepper

3 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper

¼ tsp Chili Powder

¼ tsp Paprika

1 tsp Tony Chachere’s Cajun Season

2 (1oz) Envelops Hidden Valley Ranch Original

Pour oil, spices and ranch mix into a 2 gal. plastic zipper bag, seal and smoosh all ingredients until very well mixed.

Add crackers, seal and turn over and over (a lot) to coat crackers. Let sit approximately 1 hour and turn over and over again. Repeat several times and allow bag to sit over night.

I saw Ree Drummond make those and bought crackers to make them...never got around to it...they look really good...thanks!  I'll be standing near those

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

I've smoked wild pigs, not sure what kind of boar you're got.  Wild ones don't have nearly as much fat as farm grown, so keep an eye  on em so they don't dry out.  Lots of folks will put bacon over wild game while cooking so they don't get too dry.

The ones I got were feral hogs raiding farms in the Pee Dee...they were eating a lot of what farm raised hogs are fed, so the taste was very much the same, just leaner.

Most of the smoking I've done lately has been with bison or elk, so the concern about drying things out is something I've grown used to.  In fact, I smoked a bison brisket over Memorial Day and marinated it for a day which is something I would not do with beef.  The bacon idea is a good one.

I got this from a place that I normally buy bison or elk from.  They had some sort of special that caused me to want to give it a try.  The recipe I found from some guy that has smoked them was rub them, smoke them for 3 hours, then wrap them in foil with apple cider vinegar and smoke that for 2 hours more, then remove the foil, sauce them, and give them another hour.  The theory seemed good and even I can remember 3-2-1.

Now the great debate: mesquite, hickory, or pecan.  I have smoking logs or all three.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Most of the smoking I've done lately has been with bison or elk, so the concern about drying things out is something I've grown used to.  In fact, I smoked a bison brisket over Memorial Day and marinated it for a day which is something I would not do with beef.  The bacon idea is a good one.

I got this from a place that I normally buy bison or elk from.  They had some sort of special that caused me to want to give it a try.  The recipe I found from some guy that has smoked them was rub them, smoke them for 3 hours, then wrap them in foil with apple cider vinegar and smoke that for 2 hours more, then remove the foil, sauce them, and give them another hour.  The theory seemed good and even I can remember 3-2-1.

Now the great debate: mesquite, hickory, or pecan.  I have smoking logs or all three.

Interesting...the 3-2-1 method is many competition folk (including me) do ribs.  Works very well.  I don't use much mesquite, will use for beef in a pinch.  Pecan is nice.