• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You are invited to the Huddle E-BBQ! (the non-game day menu thread)

Captain Morgan

1 minute ago, Captain Morgan said:

Interesting...the 3-2-1 method is many competition folk (including me) do ribs.  Works very well.  I don't use much mesquite, will use for beef in a pinch.  Pecan is nice.

I think pecan is actually my favorite for red meat or pork. 

Mesquite can be overbearing on the smoke for some people.  I like working with it, once it gets started and I don't mind the heavy smoke, but it is a bit much for some.

I've also taken a liking to peach when I want a fruit wood.  Nothing against apple or cherry, both of which I have had good luck with. 

• Pie 4

here's an extremely simple recipe for cooks of any level, and one that has a good bit of a wow factor.  You don't even have to cook anything.  It's a perfect summer dish, great for brunch and parties.

If you really want to impress someone, you can tell them that it's shrimp ceviche.  You can buy frozen cooked shrimp, even cocktail shrimp, just make sure they are peeled.

Bloody Mary Shrimp

pound of cooked shrimp, chopped
3/4 cup bloody mary mix ( get a spicy one)
1.5 teaspoon of celery salt
juice of 1 lime
2 tbl minced cilantro
2 tbl minced red onion
1 diced avocado
hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Put the shrimp in a plastic bag, add the bloody mary mix, half the lime juice and the celery salt.  Let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, 3-4 is better.   Drain and add the other ingredients.  

serve with chips, plantain chips, or over rice.  Can be a meal or an appetizer.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

I know Kungfu is bringing the makers mark. If no one brings other boozes, I got a few bottles of costco's finest wine i could share. Start on the makers, end on the cheap stuff when taste doesnt matter..

Also need someone on desserts even though theres NO CHANCE at all Id save room given all the meats and veg in this wonderful thread. Times I miss having a garden and other I dont, I was about to declare war on the deer and walmart always had cheap veg in stock each day. 

• Beer 1

58 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I know Kungfu is bringing the makers mark. If no one brings other boozes, I got a few bottles of costco's finest wine i could share. Start on the makers, end on the cheap stuff when taste doesnt matter..

Also need someone on desserts even though theres NO CHANCE at all Id save room given all the meats and veg in this wonderful thread. Times I miss having a garden and other I dont, I was about to declare war on the deer and walmart always had cheap veg in stock each day. 

20210514_192902.thumb.jpg.cd1e16aba5ceb3a413836b876fd8d3a6.jpg

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

here's an extremely simple recipe for cooks of any level, and one that has a good bit of a wow factor.  You don't even have to cook anything.  It's a perfect summer dish, great for brunch and parties.

If you really want to impress someone, you can tell them that it's shrimp ceviche.  You can buy frozen cooked shrimp, even cocktail shrimp, just make sure they are peeled.

Bloody Mary Shrimp

pound of cooked shrimp, chopped
3/4 cup bloody mary mix ( get a spicy one)
1.5 teaspoon of celery salt
juice of 1 lime
2 tbl minced cilantro
2 tbl minced red onion
1 diced avocado
hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Put the shrimp in a plastic bag, add the bloody mary mix, half the lime juice and the celery salt.  Let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, 3-4 is better.   Drain and add the other ingredients.  

serve with chips, plantain chips, or over rice.  Can be a meal or an appetizer.  

This is a keeper…..great as an appetizer for a real tailgate.  Thanks.

• Pie 1

I’ll be at Wrightsville Beach, where my club has a day full of activities for children, to Pulled pork BBQ, hamburgers, hotdogs, BLT. 
Children are the focus. Parade on the beach. There’s cake walks, fishing pond ( line over the sheet ) they pull back squirt guns to shoot the adults lol, tug of war, 3 legged sack raced,greased watermelon in the sound etc. 

current pics posting July 5 th 

425190EB-3A5D-463D-B7AF-999C3739DBCE.jpeg

97E8A230-0D45-410F-80F3-4CEE3CD674D1.jpeg

1D3CBAC0-058B-4CB5-8D6E-CCC163A57598.jpeg

Edited by OceanPanther
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Was goi g to be the 1st post but procrastinated…. I got Carne Asada, measurements are as you feel…

3 bunches of cilantro, finely chopped

3-7 cloves garlic

ground salt & black pepper 

cumin

brown sugar

soy sauce

zest & juice of lime 

olive oil to cover & then some…

I use top sirloin but use the cut you like…

marinate for at least 4hrs…

grill on high heat, just keep flipping….

serve with pico de gallo, I add avacodo, diced & not mashed to the mix, on tortillas….

image.thumb.jpeg.6290e4f7d7df7e881662d0abbe1314c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59ece8d91a0da970a5081ee5f7275a89.jpeg

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

19 hours ago, j2sgam said:

Was goi g to be the 1st post but procrastinated…. I got Carne Asada, measurements are as you feel…

3 bunches of cilantro, finely chopped

3-7 cloves garlic

ground salt & black pepper 

cumin

brown sugar

soy sauce

zest & juice of lime 

olive oil to cover & then some…

I use top sirloin but use the cut you like…

marinate for at least 4hrs…

grill on high heat, just keep flipping….

serve with pico de gallo, I add avacodo, diced & not mashed to the mix, on tortillas….

image.thumb.jpeg.6290e4f7d7df7e881662d0abbe1314c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59ece8d91a0da970a5081ee5f7275a89.jpeg

That’s a SoCal tailgate favorite….easy, tasty, inexpensive and can be rolled up in a tortilla to take into the game.

tri-tip in all kinds of different marinades and rubs, is also popular, from a Santa Maria rub to a bulgogi marinade.  Seafood salads and ceviche also popular.  I’m getting hungry.  

*the small town I was born and raised in, was the town the Calavo HC was located.  You could walk down a street, or walk along the roads with orchards and pick up avocados for free.  Growers would put out a crate filled with avocados you could take. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1