• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers PJ Waker Ranked 25 Among NFL Backup Quarterbacks

KatsAzz

13 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

My problem isn't with Walker or Grier, it is with Walker AND Grier.  Essentially we have a starter and two #3 QBs on the roster.

Honestly, even that might be generous.

I'm not sure either of them is an NFL quarterback.

McCown would be good for the backup/mentor job. Last I remember, he was living in Charlotte (I think).

I get the feeling we'll go to camp with what we have, though.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Grier probably shouldn't be on an NFL roster, but at least PJ Walker has a glimmer of potential.  We should probably get rid of Grier and go after someone with some experience.

How you know? For all we know he could be a good QB. How many times have we seen a 3rd string back up or undrafted qb end up doing well? There are lots of good QBs out there who just haven’t been given the chance. Yes Grier sucked in his little bit of playing time but there have been plenty of great QBs who were horrible their rookie year. I’m not saying Grier is going to be good but it’s possible. There’s a lot you just can’t know until you put someone on the field to play.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, are you really all in on aiding Sam Darnold......if his QB room is PJ/Will? 

Probably would be wise to get rid of both of them and bring in some old vet to coach Sam up in the film room.   Rent a vet for a year.  And Sam either works.....or you move on from him just as quick as Teddy.  But hopefully with a drafted QB this time. 

I think a vet makes more sense to pair with Sam than two guys we know don't have it and offer little for Sam's growth. 

Not being critical but isn't that what Sean Ryan was hired to do?  Legitimately asking what incremental value an old vet would bring.  Open to the idea just need some help in understanding the 'value add' from an old vet.

If Panthers do go this route, I agree with the OP that Josh McCown makes sense, given that they worked together previously.  

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Not being critical but isn't that what Sean Ryan was hired to do?  Legitimately asking what incremental value an old vet would bring.  Open to the idea just need some help in understanding the 'value add' from an old vet.

If Panthers do go this route, I agree with the OP that Josh McCown makes sense, given that they worked together previously.  

I don't think the new staff is really very interested in veteran players. Honestly, it seems to be a general philosophy that they don't want players older than 30 on the roster. Not sure if that is a long term strategy as much as they seem to want young players to be with this young staff.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm cool with replacing them pending it doesn't take up additional cap space.  Otherwise, just roll with PJ Walker as the backup.  

This is where I am. 

PJ did well enough in his game last year, and it looked better than Grier.  

1 hour ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Yes Grier sucked in his little bit of playing time but there have been plenty of great QBs who were horrible their rookie year. I’m not saying Grier is going to be good but it’s possible. There’s a lot you just can’t know until you put someone on the field to play.

Grier may improve, but in 2019, he didn't look good in preseason or his two starts.  Did he even play at all last year?  He's an old regime draft and is on the bubble. 

I blasted the QB group some, I mean who are the backup QBs ranked 26-32?? I mean its proven the Sam darnold has to carry the group, the same Sam Darnold thats finished 32,33, and 30th at seasons end. PJ feels like he should be on the PS at best. IMO if you have a playoff team, backup QB is in the top five needs. Panthers are maybe one year away and regardless need to upgrade the talent in the QB room. 

Like many of the groups, Im in wait and see mode. But if Darnold busted hardcore this season, get rid of all the QBs and Rhule is on his final QB lotto card as being the panthers HC imo.