• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers DT Derrick Brown Named One Of PFF's 2nd Year Breakout Candidates

KatsAzz

https://www.yahoo.com/.../panthers-dt-derrick-brown-named...

Panthers defensive tackle Derrick Brown finished his rookie season on a strong note after dealing with some penalty issues early on.
Brown still has a lot of room to grow as a player, but he’s demonstrated enough power and potential to prove he’s good enough to stick around. It should come as no big surprise that Pro Football Focus has named Brown among their 2021 second-year breakout candidates.

“Derrick Brown put together a sneakily impressive rookie resume, grading out as the second-best rookie pass rusher (72.5) — behind only Chase Young. Brown actually led all rookies in total pressures (34) through 15 games before Young passed him in Week 17. The biggest problem for him was an inability to turn those pressures into sacks, which he also struggled with in college.”

Brown only posted two sacks in 2020, but tehy can be tough to come by. However, the addition of OLB Haason Reddick should free up more opportunities for Brown, Brian Burns and Carolina’s other pass rushers.

ccf023a6d88fd9cbd562aea5a456d0ef
Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 8

Considering the main problem people had with Brown was that they were unconvinced in his potential to generate pressure, it was somewhat surprising to see this area of his game thrive the most.

He recorded two sacks, eight tackles for loss, 12 quarterback hits, and 34 pressures during the season.

This was especially pleasing and a great foundation from which to build. 

• Pie 6

With Haason Reddick and DaQuan Jones joining the team this year, Brown will have some help up front.  

Not to mention the improved back end with Horn, Jackson and Bouye should also give the DL another second or so of coverage - which could lead to more sacks.  

It's going to be a good year for Derrick Brown.  

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

https://www.yahoo.com/.../panthers-dt-derrick-brown-named...

Panthers defensive tackle Derrick Brown finished his rookie season on a strong note after dealing with some penalty issues early on.
Brown still has a lot of room to grow as a player, but he’s demonstrated enough power and potential to prove he’s good enough to stick around. It should come as no big surprise that Pro Football Focus has named Brown among their 2021 second-year breakout candidates.

“Derrick Brown put together a sneakily impressive rookie resume, grading out as the second-best rookie pass rusher (72.5) — behind only Chase Young. Brown actually led all rookies in total pressures (34) through 15 games before Young passed him in Week 17. The biggest problem for him was an inability to turn those pressures into sacks, which he also struggled with in college.”

Brown only posted two sacks in 2020, but tehy can be tough to come by. However, the addition of OLB Haason Reddick should free up more opportunities for Brown, Brian Burns and Carolina’s other pass rushers.

ccf023a6d88fd9cbd562aea5a456d0ef

Hehe, I distinctly remember folks here calling a DT drafted in the top 10 a wasted pick.  "You don't draft space eaters in the top 10," they said.  I mocked Brown to us and was elated when his name was called.  On the other hand, I bet a lot of poo was thrown at TV screens when his name was called.  I can't stress this enough about how over the moon I was with the 2020 draft.  In short...yes, you do draft elite DTs in the top 10!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

If he doesnt get a freak injury, I feel bad for all OGs/Cs that have to stop him. Honestly all it takes is Brown to take a huge step forward and Offenses have to start giving him the aaron darnold treatment. He could do it. 

A full offseason will help Brown better prepare for his second season, while the addition of edge defender Haason Reddick should give him more one-on-one blocking situations.

Is it fair to assume that today is a “good” day for PFF’s credibility? At least until they say something negative about any Panther? Then it’s back to being a joke? Hard to keep up with the changing up on a per statement basis. 

13 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Hehe, I distinctly remember folks here calling a DT drafted in the top 10 a wasted pick.  "You don't draft space eaters in the top 10," they said.  I mocked Brown to us and was elated when his name was called.  On the other hand, I bet a lot of poo was thrown at TV screens when his name was called.  I can't stress this enough about how over the moon I was with the 2020 draft.  In short...yes, you do draft elite DTs in the top 10!

Who called it a wasted pick?

End of the day, drafting DT's in the top 10 is somewhat strange, but happens...normally to generational players...let's hope that Brown is one of those.  This isn't hating on the player, he's a great player, but top 10 is usually reserved for different positions.

If he were to play again this season as he did last year, I think we could all feel comfortable that we've got a solid, long-term DT starter with that draft pick.

The idea that he is actually improving with experience... well, that's just pretty amazing. I hope he just emerges as one of the best among vets this season. 

He was a handful for opposing teams. That's exactly what he was brought here to do. 

44 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Who called it a wasted pick?

End of the day, drafting DT's in the top 10 is somewhat strange, but happens...normally to generational players...let's hope that Brown is one of those.  This isn't hating on the player, he's a great player, but top 10 is usually reserved for different positions.

Numerous people here.

• Pie 1