• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen reveals ‘mixed feelings’ over Terrace Marshall Jr. wearing 88

SBBlue

12 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Poop just because you dont realize #51 is the only number retired.

No, I know Sam Mills number is retired.

We are discussing numbers that are currently not retired, but should be. The only number that currently is not retired, but should be is 89. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Greg Olsen is delusional if he thought 88 should be retired. The real issue and the real person who should be complaining, but he won’t, because he was never a me first guy, is Julius Peppers.

number 90 should be retired. Scrubs like daquan Jones should not be wearing it. 

1-59-89-90 should join 51 and be taken out of circulation. 3 of those players will be enshrined in Canton and the other in my opinion should be as well but it is no guarantee, and even if he isn’t he is the only player in franchise history to win a MVP.

I’m a guest here, one that has been treated very well, don’t want to overstep my bounds,  but I would like to offer a perspective.

I come from a place where your number is everything, with a tradition of no names on the back of the Jersey, ever.  Only Heisman Trophy winners have retired numbers….BUT, there are numbers that are honored, and revered.  #55 in honor of Junior Seau can only be given to a player by a HC.  #43 for Troy Polamalu, if that number is taken, the weight of the greatness of his legacy is taken on by that player.  There are others, but I think you get the picture.

The number doesn’t have to be retired, but your franchise can honor a number by players who wore it, we have that acknowledgment in a place of honor in Heritage Hall.

Nothing wrong with taking that tradition from college, after all, college players are your future.

• Beer 3

8 minutes ago, stackofbacon said:

didn't see anything in that story that suggested Olsen thinks the number should be retired

He was kind and complimented Marshall then offered words of support. But if you read this thread you would think he took a dump on the whole franchise. There are odd folks here.

• Pie 3

On 6/28/2021 at 9:12 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Jared Allen wore it in 2015.

Thats true. Im talking about the off-season when the roster gos up to 90, 1st time missing gross, some no-name invite got his number. Gross talked about on one of his pods, "Well I know what the team thinks of me now..." was one of his comments. Some teams wait years before the number is issued again. I share what many in this thread feel about too many numbers retired. I said sam mills number shouldnt be retired years ago and poop-nuked. Honestly the only numbers that should be retired in the their sports are- 99 in hockey, 42 baseball and thats about it. NBA Bill russell, MJ, KAJ, wilt all have claim to this as well, just hard to pick one over the others. NFL ughhhh once Tom brady finally leaves his number should be retired as well, jim brown didnt stay long enough. 

Well I like to add to my first 99 and 42 comment, Jerry Rice's 80 should be retired as well. He deserves that honor as well. Id put LT on here too, if not for off-field BS. If Aaaron Darold keeps up his insane pace for another 5-7 years, retire that bad mans number too. Frankly I think NOT retiring numbers gives them more power. 

7 hours ago, stackofbacon said:

didn't see anything in that story that suggested Olsen thinks the number should be retired

7 hours ago, frankw said:

He was kind and complimented Marshall then offered words of support. But if you read this thread you would think he took a dump on the whole franchise. There are odd folks here.

Yes, we all know compliments and supportive words are what people mean when they say they have ‘mixed feelings’.

Edited by onmyown

On 6/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, SBBlue said:

Carolina Panthers: Greg Olsen's 'mixed feelings' over number giveaway (catcrave.com)

“You know I’ll be honest, I had mixed feelings about it. Donnie (Toner) in the (Panthers’) equipment room texted me and kind of gave me a heads up. My whole thing was I didn’t want the kid to feel any pressure from me. That was his number (Marshall wore 88 in college). That’s what he wanted. I’ve heard he’s a great kid. I don’t have any animosity. I’m glad he’s going to wear it and hopefully, he’s a great player. I have no ill will.”

Sorry dude, but I gotta say it. That title...it's clickbaity as all get out. You're better than that. C'mon man

7 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Sorry dude, but I gotta say it. That title...it's clickbaity as all get out. You're better than that. C'mon man

tenor.gif

I get you. 

That's the title of the article,  and Greg did have mixed feelings.

And the thread has some good discussion on retiring numbers and some nice stuff about Greg.  Now, you have to cut a little slack since we're in the dead-zone between OTA's and camp.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

tenor.gif

I get you. 

That's the title of the article,  and Greg did have mixed feelings.

And the thread has some good discussion on retiring numbers and some nice stuff about Greg.  Now, you have to cut a little slack since we're in the dead-zone between OTA's and camp.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The thread itself is fine. I gots no beef of what you're throwing down. But that title. It's gotta go. Now granted, I didn't read the actual article, but still, I feel justified in my feelings. lol

• Pie 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, Carl Spackler said:

To be fair he only left because Hurney and Tepper didn't want to keep him.

And he broke his foot again because it wasn’t rehabbed properly. To be fair he was done here though. He knew we weren’t going to be competitive and he wanted his chance for a ring. Can’t blame him. I believe it was a completely amicable parting of ways from both parties after realities set in. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Greg Olsen is delusional if he thought 88 should be retired. The real issue and the real person who should be complaining, but he won’t, because he was never a me first guy, is Julius Peppers.

number 90 should be retired. Scrubs like daquan Jones should not be wearing it. 

1-59-89-90 should join 51 and be taken out of circulation. 3 of those players will be enshrined in Canton and the other in my opinion should be as well but it is no guarantee, and even if he isn’t he is the only player in franchise history to win a MVP.

Anyone who thinks this is the panthers of yesteryear needs to forget all that. I would not be surprised if tepper unretired 51 at some point. For better or worse tepper is completely remaking this team in his own image. He’s smart enough to make a compromise in the short term and put those jersey numbers in the ring of fame but not retire them though… if the players agree. 

Also 1-59-88-89-90 are all going to canton. I would not be surprised if Gross ends up there too. Though it’s my opinion canton is way to lax due to NFL marketing these days. They should frankly only allow 1-3 player a year to get the jacket, foot note everyone else. NHL does it right with the cup. 

Edited by Harbingers

The only numbers we should have retired right now with no questions asked is 89 and 90.  While I understand that you can't retire all numbers, and we're still a young franchise, those two players represent the next level of greatness, it's hard to enter into the NFL after 40 years and be competitive in less than 10 years as a franchise, those two are the reason why, no if's, and's, or but's about it, retire both of those numbers yesterday.

I'd put 59 VERY close to being a lock to be retired, probably like 90% currently and after he ends up a first ballot HOFer I'd put it in that same category.

If it were up to me, 51 wouldn't even be retired... as much as Sam means to this franchise, it's not really because of what he did as a player, it was when he was a coach.  We've completely adopted "Keep Pounding" so much that it's stitched in our jersey's and is a set in stone motto of this team forever, to me, that's more than enough respect for what Mills meant to this franchise, more than retiring a jersey ever could mean.

I'm guessing most football fans couldn't tell you he even played for us, let alone what number he wore, but I'll bet many of them who have no idea about those things, still know the Panthers motto is "Keep Pounding."

Then it comes down to #1... while I wouldn't retire it right now, I still wouldn't allow anyone else to wear it, and then when Cam retires and ends up back in the Panther family, just like Smitty did, that's when it gets retired.

Those are the players that built this franchise, anyone after them is going to take something truly special to break into the retired number status, as most franchises have less than 10 retired numbers, and they've been around 2-3x as long as we have.  And yes, that even includes guys like CMC, he's been great so far, but he'll still need to make a Luke-esque impact, if not greater, to get to that level.  And to be honest, if he changes to 5 from 22, he has to start from scratch, nothing he accomplished in 22 counts towards getting either number retired, love the guy, but he's not Kobe.

Beyond that, I see no current players even in the discussion to get on that path, love me some Chinn, Burns, and DJ, but it's FAR too early to even consider putting them in the discussion of even being on the path to jersey retirement.

Edited by tukafan21