• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martinook and Foegele

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts:

11. Looks like there will be some churn among Carolina’s depth forwards. According to a Facebook post, Jordan Martinook’s family thinks he’s going to the open market, and there are Warren Foegele trade talks. Both player and team appear to want a change.

Both of these surprise me as I thought both were very important pieces. Unless they are asking more than they are worth and 3/4th liners, I don't see why we would want to lose either. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Martinook idk. He says he wants to stay here. Foegs is RFA arbitration eligible and we may not want to pay what a arbitrator says is fair. Foegs may not think he’s going to be protected but I’d think trade rumors from an RFA would be coming from the team.  

• Pie 1

I like both players, but Martinook I really do want to keep.  He embodies the work ethic the Canes need to be successful.  The work they've had whenever they've been successful.  He does have a few limitations.  He's not a good finisher or a brilliant athlete, but he's smart and does a lot of the dirty work.

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I like both players, but Martinook I really do want to keep.  He embodies the work ethic the Canes need to be successful.  The work they've had whenever they've been successful.  He does have a few limitations.  He's not a good finisher or a brilliant athlete, but he's smart and does a lot of the dirty work.

I don’t think he wants to move on. He’s stated he wants to stay the only thing I can think of is we consider him to be a 4th liner but we have a ton of young talent coming up that need those 4th line spots too. Tough call. 

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t think he wants to move on. He’s stated he wants to stay the only thing I can think of is we consider him to be a 4th liner but we have a ton of young talent coming up that need those 4th line spots too. Tough call. 

I think Marty can only be thought of as a 4th liner, he is a great locker room presence, great for team morale, but he's just a grinder and doesn't have a great amount of "skill" that the Canes probably want for the money and term he is asking. 

We do have a lot of young talent in the system that need opportunities, hate to give up what Marty does bring but this is a business and money rules the day.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

I think Marty can only be thought of as a 4th liner, he is a great locker room presence, great for team morale, but he's just a grinder and doesn't have a great amount of "skill" that the Canes probably want for the money and term he is asking. 

We do have a lot of young talent in the system that need opportunities, hate to give up what Marty does bring but this is a business and money rules the day.

I understand the thinking. I just don't agree with it. This team is too soft as it is.

Hurricanes without Marty = Cold runny cream of wheat.

Hurricanes with The Candyman = Thick ass grits!

5 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I understand the thinking. I just don't agree with it. This team is too soft as it is.

Hurricanes without Marty = Cold runny cream of wheat.

Hurricanes with The Candyman = Thick ass grits!

I don’t think we are going to get much harder under Rod. When ever we do the NHL shuts us down. None of the bruiser teams made it far besides Tampa this year. And they in the end can’t really be considered a bruiser team. Honestly I see why rod didn’t want to play paquette either. 

Id love to see us being Paa on full time so to speak. He provided passive enforcement and protection. We need someone who can add active enforcement but not dirty, like Marchand or Wilson. Not sure where we find that. Paquette was not the answer he was more concerned with a nut shot than actual protection. 

• Pie 1

If Marty wants to come back on a team friendly deal I have no issue with that. But there is no way we are paying him vet 3rd line money. 

I do think Foegs is gone even being an RFA though but our rook depth is stupid strong. He’s gonna have a great year where ever he ends up next year though. 

• Pie 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, Stumpy said:

I would be pissed if we let the Martyman go. His vocal leadership is a huge part of this team and their success!

Exactly! His leadership is so important to the team,no way do i want him gone.

• Beer 1