• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Panthers' Best-Value Contract

SBBlue

link:The Best-Value Contract on Every NFL Roster Entering 2021 Season | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

S Jeremy Chinn

The Carolina Panthers are a rebuilding team with a lot of young players who have flashed but have yet to earn long-term extensions.

Two-time 1,000-yard receiver DJ Moore will make just $3.6 million in the fourth year of his rookie deal, promising cornerback Donte Jackson will collect just $2.8 million under the same circumstances and 2020 first-round pick Derrick Brown will earn a reasonable $5.9 million per year. 

But all of the above are easily trumped by surprise sensation Jeremy Chinn, who crushed it as a 22-year-old rookie safety/linebacker in 2020 but was only the 64th overall selection in last year's draft. 

Per Pro Football Focus, only three rookie defenders registered more stops than the Southern Illinois product (30) during a campaign in which he was runner-up for the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. And he did all that for less than $1 million. 

In terms of average annual salary, Chinn is the 885th-highest-paid player in the league.      

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. 

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Using rookie contracts in that list feels like cheating. Excluding rookie contracts would be a more interesting list.

I understand your point, but I'm not sure how to handle it. 

Chinn had the most tackles on the team.  He was also on a very cheap rookie contract.

Do we disregard him because he is a rookie?

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Chinn had the most tackles on the team.  He was also on a very cheap rookie contract.

Yeah. Rookie contracts are just a different matter. They're by far the best avenue of getting a premium talent for a bargain price and there's no real negotiation in the contract.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

I don't really think you are understanding what I am saying. It's a little bit of a lazy take by the author because it should largely be expected that the majority of the players on an unfiltered "best contract" list for the NFL would be pretty heavily weighted towards rookie contracts. It just basically becomes a "who is your best player on a rookie contract list." He is just sort of ignoring the obvious general NFL knowledge that your best bang for the buck is almost always going to be a rookie contract.

Just now, Pup McBarky said:

Depending on how he plays this year, Reddick would have to be a candidate for best value contract for a non-rookie deal.

Agreed. I think that is probably a much more interesting thing to break down than basically just a list of rookies. He kind of missed the mark on that article in general.

Reddick was the guy I had in mind, as well.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's a little bit of a lazy take by the author

Yes, its bleacher report they are lazy.

It just basically becomes a "who is your best player on a rookie contract list." He is just sort of ignoring the obvious general NFL knowledge that your best bang for the buck is almost always going to be a rookie contract.

True, the majority on the list are those still on their original contracts, but not all...there were a few vets in there.  I guess you want two lists, one for vets and one for those still on their 4yr, because they are going to be cheaper.

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

Yes, its bleacher report they are lazy.

True, the majority on the list are those still on their original contracts, but not all...there were a few vets in there.  I guess you want two lists, one for vets and one for those still on their 4yr, because they are going to be cheaper.

I think it's just a much more interesting article if you eliminate the guys on rookie deals. It also requires a lot more effort to write. 

Then you get to get into guys who are outperforming their current deals, cheap free agent signings, etc.

9 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

Depending on how he plays this year, Reddick would have to be a candidate for best value contract for a non-rookie deal.

Then again, one year prove it deals can be seen in the same vein as rookie contracts. 

Projecting forward probably.

Looking at what we had last year, was it Robbie?

• Pie 1