• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers want to get long term deal done with Taylor Moton before deadline

TheSpecialJuan

25 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Then you really never have elite players on your roster (outside of those on rookie contracts). 

Fans never really want to pay top money, they are hoping to sign a lot of above average players for 60% of what the top guys make.  It doesn't really work that way.  The next top tier player to become a free agent, at whatever position, is going to make top money.  The contracts just keep going up.

Using OTs as an example, the next top tier OT is going to get a top of the market contract.  Nobody is going to say "Moton is the 10th best RT so he should get paid as the 10th highest RT."  Players don't' get slotted based on all of the contracts including older ones.  Top tier players get paid as much if not more than the last top tier player got paid.

There is almost a gap in contracts these days.  You either pay top guys top dollar or you give out smaller contracts to average and below average guys.

Sometimes I think GMs fall into this same line of thinking, they are almost scared to pay the elite guys, because if they don't live up to the contract it looks bad on the GM.  Easier to pay a LB $9m a year then to risk paying the CB $16m a year.

Most teams are going to have a few high dollar contracts, that $15m+ range.  You better make sure the player is truly elite and at a high value position that isn't easy to replace.

Not to mention....the salary cap is projected to EXPLODE in coming years with this new TV deal being inked. These contracts that seem excessive are not going to look that way at all in 3 years.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

This is where teams fall into cap hell.  You have to have a budget for each position.  Sure, if you look ONLY at RT and say, "We gotta pay him!!"  then later, when you have no money to pay your QB, or a DE, or a CB---you lose that player.  Keep him for a year if he still wants elite LT money.  Groom Christensen.  Understand, I love Moton--and I get the points the opposite side of the argument is making---I just think when you overpay at any position, you lose in the long run.

God dam, someone on the huddle is using their brain!! I like Moton, big time. Just he is NOT good enough to take cap space away form WR, QB, DE, or CB. Its a hard hard choice- hes hard working, no issues off-field, an complete pro with solid production. If he was had a couple years of 1st/2nd team all-pro years, give the man his money.....Dam the cap space...... hes not that guy tho. Incoming contract due to Sam Darnold(I hope), DJ, Moore, Djack, Reddick, ANderson, and Burns....even a couple of them the team will not be able to pay. Hard choices, Moton just priced himself out of the panthers budget and is about to be become a FA is at the best time in NFL history. It happens, I hope the team is using their brains like MHS is...

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

As tough as it may be to accept paying a top 10 RT top 3 LT money, we gotta keep him. Our OL must be a priority, and we gotta stop letting good players at key positions leave because we don’t want to pay them (especially not while paying players at devalued positions top dollar). 

download.jpeg.66914f109a0915102670e45c26eb00b6.jpeg

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

God dam, someone on the huddle is using their brain!! I like Moton, big time. Just he is NOT good enough to take cap space away form WR, QB, DE, or CB. Its a hard hard choice- hes hard working, no issues off-field, an complete pro with solid production. If he was had a couple years of 1st/2nd team all-pro years, give the man his money.....Dam the cap space...... hes not that guy tho. Incoming contract due to Sam Darnold(I hope), DJ, Moore, Djack, Reddick, ANderson, and Burns....even a couple of them the team will not be able to pay. Hard choices, Moton just priced himself out of the panthers budget and is about to be become a FA is at the best time in NFL history. It happens, I hope the team is using their brains like MHS is...

Most of those guys on your list are not likely to get second contracts here for a variety of reasons. And, quite honestly, you are just wrong about Moton and his abilities. 

• Beer 2

How many of you just don't want quality linemen?

He is an elite offensive tackle. Doesn't matter he plays right. Not anymore. Elite pass rushers come from both sides. He is an elite tackle. He will be paid as an elite tackle. It give all of ya negative Nancy's,  something else to bitch about for as long as we have him. One thing you'll never be able to bitch about, is his play. 

It's also not going.to screw us with the cap. He's going to be the only lineman making elite money. Stop acting like we're paying everyone elite money . 

SMH at this place. So many of you just have no clue, even though y'all act like ya know everything. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Basbear said:

I heard reports Moton wants top LT money a while back. Unless hes changed his tune, hard pass form me. I dont even know if I'd agreed to 15 per and half guaranteed, you can not pay every single spot TOP money. Somebody has make the hard choices. RT is not in the top half of "pay that man his money" positions. If moton was a yearly top 1-3 RT, I would change my tune, but hes not. Plus given the big brains at panthers office have already paid LB Shaq and RB CMC too much, it would add the problem of wasting money at lesser-valued spots to pay Moton 18-20 per for 8th best RT play.  

The difference between the highest paid left tackle and the highest paid right tackle is 3 million dollars per year….. so what I’m reading from your post is the 3 million dollars is the back breaker for signing moton? When the cap is expected to go up by 20mill next year?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, Basbear said:

Look at the Saints. The cap is only a problem if you have an idiot managing it.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

You can sign him to a long term deal that won't destroy your cap this year, and it's estimated the Cap will skyrocket next season.

The saints find a way to do this crap every year. Moton is well worth top 5 RT money. At this point it should just be a bout contract structure as to not handicap us in future seasons. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Then you really never have elite players on your roster (outside of those on rookie contracts). 

Fans never really want to pay top money, they are hoping to sign a lot of above average players for 60% of what the top guys make.  It doesn't really work that way.  The next top tier player to become a free agent, at whatever position, is going to make top money.  The contracts just keep going up.

Using OTs as an example, the next top tier OT is going to get a top of the market contract.  Nobody is going to say "Moton is the 10th best RT so he should get paid as the 10th highest RT."  Players don't' get slotted based on all of the contracts including older ones.  Top tier players get paid as much if not more than the last top tier player got paid.

There is almost a gap in contracts these days.  You either pay top guys top dollar or you give out smaller contracts to average and below average guys.

Sometimes I think GMs fall into this same line of thinking, they are almost scared to pay the elite guys, because if they don't live up to the contract it looks bad on the GM.  Easier to pay a LB $9m a year then to risk paying the CB $16m a year.

Most teams are going to have a few high dollar contracts, that $15m+ range.  You better make sure the player is truly elite and at a high value position that isn't easy to replace.

FWIW, Seattle seemed to keep a lot of top talent (with the exception of o-line, lol) the whole time Fitterer was there. Maybe he gets it in a way that his predecessors never did. When it came to contracts, G-man was too cocky and irrational, and Hurn-dog was a moron. 

Then again, I have a feeling that they both got a lot of pressure from the owner.