• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL fines Washington Football Team $10 million

ladypanther

And there is more:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/report-daniel-snyder-cant-resume-control-of-wft-without-approval-from-roger-goodell/

The statement announcing the $10 million fine and other financial punishment explains, in the 28th of 29 paragraphs, that co-owner Tanya Snyder will manage the operations of the team on a day-to-day basis and represent the team at league meetings, indefinitely. Both the league and the team insist that this measure was voluntary, even though the statement from the league does not say that.

Frankly, it feels negotiated. A quit-in-lieu-of-being-fired outcome that allowed Snyder to avoid the indignity of being suspended, but while still as a practical matter being suspended. A deal made as part of the broader resolution of the situation, so that there would be no appeals or acrimony or litigation.

In the interim, Snyder may attend games, and he can seek new investors for the team. Also, and as mentioned in the release, he will be working on efforts to build a new stadium. But he can’t resume control of the team without Goodell’s approval.

Snyder technically agreed to that on a voluntary basis. Common sense suggests he had no choice but to volunteer.

Like with his wife "in charge" he is  not involved.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Well...JR was forced to sell what's the difference?

I'd guess it's because Snyder wasn't the sole focus of the investigation. It was about a "toxic culture" inside the team.

Snyder himself was accused of one or two things but from what I've gathered, other individuals did more. I know one of his former minority partners is now barred from having anything to do with an NFL team.

Fair? Don't know, but that's what I understand about the 'why' of it.

I suppose Richardson could have a complaint, but I can't say I care because his being forced to sell the team was the best thing that could have happened.

Edited by Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

That would have required 24 out of the 32 owners of their main representative voting another owner out. Which would be a huge court battle and distraction for the NFL if they decided to do it.

It’s pretty clear JR was ready to sell the team, was getting past up there in years, didn’t look like he wanted to pass it to his children or any handpicked successor. Was a lot easier for him just to take the massive check. 

Synder clearly doesn’t want to go anywhere and I doubt Goodell has the votes among the owner community even for something of this nature. They don’t want to start setting precedent, even if it is Snyder.

In reality goodell is essentially powerless in this situation and he is lucky Snyder is going along with this “his wife is in charge” middle ground. If Snyder wanted to he could take Goodell to court over all this and win. That’s if these were Goodell only penalties. I haven’t read full articles on it yet so I don’t know if this was voted on or not. 

Edited by Harbingers

Also, just to be clear, when it came to his sale of the team, Jerry Richardson wasn't so compliant as some folks might think.

His original proposal when the stories first came out was an "internal investigation", one that I'm sure would have been very objective when it found no wrongdoing on his part. Marty Hurney specifically said he never saw any evidence of misbehavior, and heaven knows Marty wouldn't lie, right? 🙄

I've long thought that Richardson expected the "good old boys" of the league to cover for him, but he underestimated how much the culture had changed. Once the league took over the investigation themselves, the writing on the wall was there for all to see.

When he agreed to sell the Panthers, it was likely due to a realization that the league clearly wasn't going to cover for him. Possibly also out of his legendary loyalty to the NFL (remember the midfield logo) and not wanting to cause them embarrassment.

As the process wore on though, they were reports that Richardson grew bitter. He was said to be grousing and saying things like "I don't have to sell his team". By that time however, it was pretty clear though that the NFL wanted him out (and David Tepper in).

Seeing what's happened to the team since the transition, it's highly possible he's even more bitter now than he was then.

Can't honestly say that makes me feel bad, though.

Edited by Mr. Scot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/01/washington-football-team-dan-snyder-sally-jenkins/

The NFL’s investigation was just like Daniel Snyder’s workplace culture: Rotten

The so-called investigative report on the nasty skirt-clutching culture inside the Washington Football Team has vanished like invisible ink. And somehow the NFL thinks it can make it all right by handing Tanya Snyder the mop and broom. Great. That’s the perfect NFL solution, isn’t it? Just to turn to the wife and say: “Here. You clean it up.”

Nothing against Mrs. Snyder — who is sure to do a far more professional job overseeing the business operation of the Washington Football Team than the twerp who has run it like a beer-slopping stag party these past 20-some years. But what do they take us for, really? As you read the NFL’s statement on its months-long investigation of Daniel Snyder’s cesspool of an office, you can almost feel Commissioner Roger Goodell and his legal eagles admiring their soft-shoe work as they step around the sleaze puddles.

Not a single allegation against Snyder himself was addressed. No written report will be issued. And no one is truly penalized. Except, of course, the women who were peeping-Tommed and pimped to sponsors. The perps? Some of them, such as Larry Michael, got to retire. The main culprit was allowed to profess ignorance from the distance of a superyacht and pay a $10 million fine that amounts to slot machine money for him.

“I have learned a lot in the last few months about how my club operated,” said the sneeringly disingenuous Snyder, who was alleged to have committed an act of sexual misconduct against an employee on a team plane, for which the team reached a $1.6 million settlement.

The NFL’s 29-paragraph statement goes on interminably without disclosing a single germane fact or finding. Independent counsel Beth Wilkinson — what has she been doing over the past year? There is nothing on paper, there is no evidence, and there are no conclusions. The NFL’s account of her report is like a spirograph in which everything circles into a single invisible point.

“Wilkinson was not specifically tasked with confirming or rejecting any particular allegation of inappropriate conduct,” the league wrote blithely in the opening of a statement that seeks to conclude the whole matter without coming to a single conclusion.

It turns out that Wilkinson’s job was to conduct an investigation in which nothing was to be specifically investigated. No conclusions were to be reached about any allegations that she was charged with investigating, because it was not her job to determine whether any “particular allegation of inappropriate conduct” was true. It was not her job to investigate, as it turned out, any actual people.

It was the building that did it. The walls. It was the staircase that peered up the dresses of young female employees.

“Beth wasn’t tasked with making recommendations about what should be done in terms of accountability by any individual person,” said Lisa Friel, the NFL’s special counsel for investigations

Try 40. That’s how many women came forward publicly — including Tiffany Bacon Scourby, who accused Snyder of trying to pressure her to join a friend of his in a hotel room at a charity event. Then there was the young female executive who said, “It was like fresh meat to a pack of wolves every time a new pack of interns would come in.” And, of course, there were the scores of women who didn’t come forward publicly, who chose to keep their accounts confidential — such as the employee who received the settlement following the episode on Snyder’s plane.

Snyder’s vicious litigiousness is legendary, and his long campaign of legal intimidation over the course of the year, from private investigators contacting women to a blizzard of legal filings, appears to have worked. It scared Goodell and the league lawyers into this ludicrous soft-shoe performance. All you can hear in this supposed final report is the hissing of smooth shoe leather over plush executive-suite carpet.

You will never know any specifics, never know the full truth. There will never be any assessment of personal responsibility. Instead, there is just 29 paragraphs of perfect non-descriptness, a vague hum-drumming about “toxic culture.” All of which has the distinct sound of a hush up. As for the dirt under the carpet? Well, that’s for Mrs. Snyder to clean up.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

In todays "Women Libs" movement world, i wonder how many other NFL teams could be fined if there was a severe crack down on every teams workplace environment, generally and particularly for women?

How many?

Every Team.

Imo, there's no such thing as a workplace that doesn't have its "bad eggs", so to speak.

• Beer 2