• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Who's Who of Unknowns on the Carolina Panthers Roster

Michael G

10 hours ago, Michael G said:

Recently Ventell Bryant, a Panther's WR, was popped by the NFL and suspended. Many Huddlers were like "Who?" when this news broke and reacted accordingly "so what?". Since there isn't a lot going on I decided to create a list of relatively unknown Camp Bodies on the roster who most likely will not make the 53 man roster. I am not including highly ranked draft prospects or known veterans who will might be cut, but only lessr known players we have on the roster right now. Please comment if you think I'm wrong about any of these guys, missed someone who should be on this list or know something about them other than they are football players on our roster. Please post if you think one of these guys has a chance to make the roster and explain why.

1. Spencer Brown (RB) UDFA out of Bama-Birmingham. A pretty good player in college according to his stats.

2. Ventell Bryant (WR) A taller receiver out of Temple a couple of years ago. He was Undrafted and made news recently because he was suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

3. Sean Chandler (S) UDFA back in 2017- Spent 3 years with the Giants before we added him late last year. Another Temple guy.

4. Darius Clark (RB) A small school kid out of Newberry College in SC. He was a bigger back in college but has lost some weight and maybe added some quickness (Panthers.com list him at 6'2/210 lbs). He was signed after attending a special workout section in San Diego that a few NFL teams send scout to. He was undrafted in 2020.

5. Mikey Daniel (RB/FB) This kid was a UDFA last year who was signed to the Falcons but waived prior to the start of the season. He played college at South Dakota St. and scored 30 TDs or so. I read two articles (one on the Falcons team website and another from Rivals or Draft Diamonds) that claim he is very good at Pass Protection. Good for him.

6. Oscar Draguicevich III (P) We picked this guy up as a UDFA following this years draft. He averaged 46.7 yards a punt last year at Washington St. (3rd best in the nation). 

7. Paddy Fisher (LB) An UDFA out of Northwestern this year. A blue collar guy who plays hard downhill. A little too slow though- Probably why he went Undrafted. He had a pretty decent college career.

8. Frank Herron (DL) He was undrafted out of LSU in 2018. He spent 2 seasons with the Lions before signing with us. We have him listed as a DE, but he spend time inside and out with the Lions. I read something earlier this offseason saying he reported to OTA's weighing nearer to 300 lbs, back when he was cut  and quickly resigned a couple of days later as part of the shuffle.

8. Delano Hill (S) I almost didn't include HIll because he was drafted in the 3rd round by Seattle in 2017, but I don't know a whole lot about him so here he is. He is a bigger safety like Franklin and Chin (215ilbs or so). We signed him after he responded to an invite back during Rookie Mini-Camp.

9. MIke Horton (OG) We signed Horton as a UDFA after the 2020 draft. I think he spend the entire season on the Practice Squad. He played his college ball at Auburn.

10. Phil Hoskins (DT) We actually drafted this kid this year in the 7th round. WIth Roy, Nixon, Jones and Brown probably locks to make the Roster (and Fox and Yetur's ability to move inside) I don't see him making the 53- A practice squad addition probably this year. He comes to us from UK (No...not Great Britain -The University of Kentucky)

11. Ishmael Hymen (WR) A UDFA out of James Madison U. that we picked up at some point last year. He spent most of the year on the practice squad. During OTA's he got some love from Rhule who said he was running routes and catching the ball really well. 

12. JT Ibe (S) A UDFA from last year (2020)- we signed this guy after he participated in South Carolina's Pro Day this past year. He recorded at least one interception during mini-camp. I see him making the practice squad probably.

13. Martez Ivey (OT) Ivey was signed by NE as a UDFA in 2019. He was cut prior to the Season. In 2020 he played in the XFL, we signed him at the end of last year. He played college ball at Florida and was LT mostly, but also played some LG.

14. Clay Johnston (LB) Drafted in 2020 by the Rams (7th round), he was cut prior to the season (his release was recorded on Hard Knocks). He played his college ball at Baylor. He is a little small for a LB. We signed him to the practice squad last year and he actually played some in our final two games (24 snaps or so total).

15. Jalen Julius (CB) A UDFA out Ole Miss in 2020- he was signed by the Chiefs, but was cut before the season. We signed him around the same time we signed JT Ibe. He played some FS at Miss, was rumored to have ran a 4.31 coming out of HS during a workout- but ran a laser timed 4.47 at an official workout his Freshman year at Ole Miss.

15. Matt Kaskey (OT) Kaskey was an UDFA out of Dartmouth in 2019. He was signed by the Rams, but cut before the season began. We signed him to our Practice Squad later that year and resigned him after cutting him in 2020. He played 1snap in our final game last year. He played mostly left Tackle in college and is one of our tallest players currently, at 6'7.

16. Marken Michel (WR) Michel was signed as an UDFA out of UMASS in 2016 by the Vikings. He was cut after the start of the season. IN 2017 he played in the CFL (Calgary) and was nominated for the West Division rookie of the year. He played for Calgary if 2018 too, but was injured and finished the season on IR (and was eventually released..?). In 2019 He was signed by the Eagles and placed on their Practice Squad, then waived in Apr 2020. We signed him later that year. He played in several games on special teams, but has not caught a pass for us yet.

17. Aaron Monteiro (OT) Monteiro was and UDFA out of Boston College who was first signed by the Dolphins in 2019. After a short stint in Miami, he was later signed the patriots, eventually landing on our practice Squad near the end of 2019. He also spent most of 2020 on our Practice Squad. He is another very tall player listed on Panthers.com as 6'6 (but at 6'7 on BC's website and others). He played Left Tackle mostly in College.

18. Mike Panasiuk (DT) Mike P. was signed as an UDFA by the Raiders after the 2020 draft. He was waived by them in September, and then signed to our Practice Squad later in the year. He played his college ball at Michigan St.

19. Giovanni Ricci (TE) Signed as an UDFA out of W. Michigan by the Panthers following the 2020 draft. He spend the year on the practice Squad. He was a WR in college, but transitioned to TE prior to his Junior Season. 

20. CJ Saunders (WR) Saunders went unsigned out of Ohio State in 2020. He was allowed to work out at OSU's Pro Day earlier in 2021 and caught a few long balls from Justin Fields. We signed him. He actually walked on at Ohio State as a CB, before transitioning to WR. He must have good game speed because his recorded 40 time is pretty slow for a WR (4.67). He also handled some return duties in college.

21. Micah Simon (WR) Simon went Undrafted out of Brigham Young in 2020. He was signed by the Panthers after he ran a 4.34 40 YD dash at BYU's Pro Day prior to the 2021 draft. 

22. Mason Stokke (FB) Stokke was signed following the 2021 draft by us as an UDFA. He played his College Ball at Wisconsin. He was originally a LB at Wisconsin, but transitioned to FB. Still a little Raw, but quickly became a effective lead blocker for the Badger's offensive. 

23. Stephen Sullivan (TE) Sullivan was drafted by Seattle in the 7th round of the 2020 draft. He was on their practice squad most of the year, seeing action in only one game taking a few snaps on special teams and at DE (He practiced as DE and TE at Seattle). He was injured at some point and not resigned. Carolina signed him at Fit became GM. He played college at LSU where he played a little WR before transitioning to TE. He also played on special teams at LSU.

24. Sam Tecklenburg (OL) Sam played Center at Baylor after transitioning from TE. He "retired" following his senior year (2020) not expecting to be drafted (and he was not). Matt Rhule called him off his couch offering him a UDFA contract. Sam played in 2 games last season (playing 8 or so snaps).

That's alot of work but glad someone decided to dig a little deeper. A couple guys usually surprise and make the roster but who will it be?

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I know we have a small contingent of dedicated Paddy Fisher fans but he also had a 3.36 RAS. The odds of him making any NFL team are slim to none. LB's that are that poor athletically just don't make it in the NFL anymore.

Paddy will have difficulty in coverage. RB's and even TE's in the NFL are just too fast for him. I Think if he has a shot he'll have to really impress on Special Teams.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Michael G said:

Paddy will have difficulty in coverage. RB's and even TE's in the NFL are just too fast for him. I Think if he has a shot he'll have to really impress on Special Teams.

Special Teams guys are usually athletes. I gotta be honest, I just don't think he is gonna be a guy that makes it in the NFL. He has elite speed.....for a DT.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Spencer Brown probably ends up making the roster.  His film from college is surprisingly very good, plus he ends up being a less expensive cap cost than someone like Cannon or Bonnafon.   I would rather him as the third back simply because he has shown that he can carry the workload if CMC and Chuba were to go down.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, BlackCat91 said:

Spencer Brown probably ends up making the roster.  His film from college is surprisingly very good, plus he ends up being a less expensive cap cost than someone like Cannon or Bonnafon.   I would rather him as the third back simply because he has shown that he can carry the workload if CMC and Chuba were to go down.

Based on the info about him I read he was a workhorse. He does have some good college tape. Rodney Smith does too though. Neither of those guys will cost a lot. The third back job will likely be decided on things in addition to running ability--Pass pro, Return ability, receiving ability, and special teams coverage even. If he distinguishes himself in a couple of those abilities he may stick.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

One of my favorite topics, great thread, glad to see others enjoying it as welll.

Definitely a fun thread.   Especially here in the deep off-season where nothing much else is going on.  It's a great opportunity to learn about some of the UDFA, one or two of whom might find the field next season.    

I wouldn't be that surprised if Oscar Draguicevich were our starting punter next year.  

• Pie 1