Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

What They're Saying: Sam Darnold a breakout candidate


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

You can find QBs with bad Olines or bad coaching or bad wr's or bad running backs or bad snaps or no QB coach.

Good luck finding them all.

 

 

If you put out a plan on how to ruin a young QB. The Jets showed us the blueprint.

 

It's too bad so many can't see that, and judge him without all the context.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

 

If you put out a plan on how to ruin a young QB. The Jets showed us the blueprint.

 

It's too bad so many can't see that, and judge him without all the context.

The Colts with Luck, and pretty much Carson with the Bengals.  Sometimes these franchises lie to players, say they’re going to change things, then they don’t, after repeated requests from the QB.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

The Colts with Luck, and pretty much Carson with the Bengals.  Sometimes these franchises lie to players, say they’re going to change things, then they don’t, after repeated requests from the QB.  

 

Yupperz, no shortage of poorly run teams. At least Carson went on to have a pretty good career. But Luck? He got robbed.

 

My Lions also have a bad history with team building. They seem to be trending upwards, but who knows.

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Sam has been a starting QB in the NFL for the last 3 years.  People keep wanting to frame it like he can be viewed like a draft pick.    Yes, his situation sucked.   No doubt.   But that can't be used to wipe everything out about Sam.   Lot of QBs and players have found themselves in horrible spots....great ones still shine through IMO as individuals.  Especially when given 3 years. 

Justin Fields was a better HS QB than Sam Darnold.  Justin Fields was a better QB in college than Sam Darnold.   I feel confident he will be better than Sam Darnold in the NFL too....especially given we already have the cheat of what Sam has looked like as a starting QB for years.  I mean, nothing is certain but I'll definitely lean on the guy who has always been better remaining so.  

I'll pull for Sam because he is our QB.  I wanted him on the roster when we signed him.  But since we did nothing else at the QB spot.....I'm not going to change my view on what the add was.   He was a Teddy replacement.  And Teddy was basically here to serve as a functional body until we found a QB.  

 

Yeah, the ceiling on Fields is just plain higher than Darnold, IMO. Will he ultimately be a more successful QB than Darnold? Impossible to know. 

I think you have a lot of people doing everything they can to excuse what Darnold has actually been as an NFL player just simply because they want something to be hopeful about. I can understand that because the prospect of seeing Darnold play roughly as "well" as he did in New York is pretty fuging depressing. The scariest part about Darnold is how incredibly low his floor is. Teddy was a failure here but he wasn't a complete disaster, Darnold could very well be a complete disaster. He definitely has shown that ability. 

The history behind these reclamation projects is just as depressing. I think the big positive is that we can reasonably get out of this contract if it doesn't work out. And, despite how terrible he has been, he does still have the skill set to be a quality NFL QB. Perhaps he is a rare and rather unique case that can overcome this start to his career. The payoff for a reasonably low risk gamble is high on Darnold, something we couldn't say for Teddy. 

If it does work out, it will be massive for so many reasons. How rare it is for a bust QB to recover, finally getting a franchise QB and maybe the biggest, our FO and coaches now look like fuging geniuses. 

So, for all the whining from the sunshine/head in the sand squad, they need to understand that the bulk of the Panthers fans that are Darnold skeptics would be pretty pumped about this all working out because now we can see that this rebuild is going to work. As a franchise, we finally made some great decisions.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

 

Yupperz, no shortage of poorly run teams. At least Carson went on to have a pretty good career. But Luck? He got robbed.

 

My Lions also have a bad history with team building. They seem to be trending upwards, but who knows.

Carson had to force his way out, but not before his knee was shredded and he was a shell of himself.  They made promises to him that they never kept, surrounded him with troubled players.  He cared about his teammates, especially Chris Henry, his death devastated him. There are many ways you can tear down a young player.  Thankfully, Carson managed and invested his money well, he played for the Cardinals because he wanted to.

Andrew Luck was a damn shame.  Both guys are high character good guys.

Edited by 1usctrojan
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SBBlue said:

You can find QBs with bad Olines or bad coaching or bad wr's or bad running backs or bad snaps or no QB coach.

Good luck finding them all.

 

Well, Cam had a RB.  

But he had a bad OL, bad WRs, bad OC/QB coach, weak HC…..and went 15-1 and to the SuperBowl.   And all the years before, even in his struggling early days…..the magic of Cam would always pop out no matter the circumstances.  

Special players always have a way of showing you. DJ Moore has had nothing but weak QB play for 2 straight seasons…..and yet found a way to show he is special. 

 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, Cam had a RB.  

But he had a bad OL, bad WRs, bad OC/QB coach, weak HC…..and went 15-1 and to the SuperBowl.   And all the years before, even in his struggling early days…..the magic of Cam would always pop out no matter the circumstances.  

Special players always have a way of showing you. DJ Moore has had nothing but weak QB play for 2 straight seasons…..and yet found a way to show he is special. 

 

2015 Cam >>>>>>> Than anything we have seen of Darnold

However.

There were 10 Panthers in the pro-bowl that year.  Now you could say that Cam elevated their level a play, or could say that good teams get a lot of pro-bowl votes, or they just all peaked at the right time, and there may be an element of all that.  Cam also had an awesome defensive coordinator causing turnovers and short fields who is now tearing up the AFC North.  Ryan Kalill, Short, Kuechly, Davis, Norman, Greg Olson and Stewart were FAR superior to anything the jets had in 2020. Even if you just compare RR and Gase,  its just laughable.

Trying to argue that Cam's 2015 situation is anywhere comparable to jet 2020 doesn't pass the sniff test.  Cam would not have gone to the SB with the 2020 jets team.  

Darnold does not have to be 2015 Cam for us to win a SB, though that would be nice.

 

 

 

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest thing the Jets did to screw up Darnold is routinely expect him to carry the team and make plays that weren't there.  Hence the poor decisions and pressing. The biggest think now is to let him do.less and use the weapons around him to do the work for him. Brady's scheme can have receivers open on every play if Darnold will take what the defense is giving him and play within the offense. He doesn't have to be great, he simply has to manage the offense and throw it downfield to loosen up the running game and underneath routes.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the big positive is that we can reasonably get out of this contract if it doesn't work out.

That would be a non-starter. It’s 19M guaranteed. Best case(if Darnold fails) is trying to get a team to take him like Teddy and pay a little of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, CRA said:

Well, Cam had a RB.  

But he had a bad OL, bad WRs, bad OC/QB coach, weak HC…..and went 15-1 and to the SuperBowl.   And all the years before, even in his struggling early days…..the magic of Cam would always pop out no matter the circumstances.  

Special players always have a way of showing you. DJ Moore has had nothing but weak QB play for 2 straight seasons…..and yet found a way to show he is special. 

 

 

We get it, you love you some Cam. Because if you think we went to the SB on just Cam alone? 

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Panthers roster and franchise at the time that Cam Newton walked in was not Jets level of awful. But let's make no mistake. The Panthers at that time had spent a great deal of money retaining the core of a 2 win team from 2010. The team culture and identity was fairly nonexistent and had sunken to the lowest of lows after that Arizona playoff loss. The Panthers were pretty damn irrelevant. Then Carolina through Hurney proceeded to waste an entire draft outside of Cam Newton to start off his career. Carolina also had a defense that was giving up substantial yards too. We really couldnt stop anybody. On offense it was much better we had a couple of fast rbs in Stewart and Williams 89 Olsen and Shockey. Cam was rookie of the year but absolutely nobody expected that out of him and in a lockout year. Who was his oc? The guy who while initially innovative has been fired at multiple stops. In the preseason many fans weren't even sure Cam was going to be the starter in the season opener. There was much talk about him sitting a year. He obviously shattered any and all preconceived notions about him from the draft where he wasn't even the undisputed best quarterback of the class nevermind actually being considered the consensus top pick. Honestly even though Sam played in one of the biggest markets in sports I feel like the media went a little easy on him. Many folks had him pegged as the best qb in his class even over Josh Allen. Yes Sam dealt with his share of ridicule but that was largely from fans and that's the way it goes in ny. For a former third overall pick looking at his overall circumstances and struggles he was not mistreated as badly as some folks here like to make it out to be. As if he was given the worst roster ever in league history and everyone expected him to suck before he suited up. He still has his youth and everything in front of him and he was traded to a team with much better prospects and a bright outlook on the whole and an up and coming roster with very nice offensive weapons even if left tackle is still up in the air. Not many failed quarterbacks walk right into their next opportunity like he has. So in conclusion let's move on from the recycling of sob stories about the Jets and get ready for camp.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Panthers roster and franchise at the time that Cam Newton walked in was not Jets level of awful. But let's make no mistake. The Panthers at that time had spent a great deal of money retaining the core of a 2 win team from 2010. The team culture and identity was fairly nonexistent and had sunken to the lowest of lows after that Arizona playoff loss. The Panthers were pretty damn irrelevant. Then Carolina through Hurney proceeded to waste an entire draft outside of Cam Newton to start off his career. Carolina also had a defense that was giving up substantial yards too. We really couldnt stop anybody. On offense it was much better we had a couple of fast rbs in Stewart and Williams 89 Olsen and Shockey. Cam was rookie of the year but absolutely nobody expected that out of him and in a lockout year. Who was his oc? The guy who while initially innovative has been fired at multiple stops. In the preseason many fans weren't even sure Cam was going to be the starter in the season opener. There was much talk about him sitting a year. He obviously shattered any and all preconceived notions about him from the draft where he wasn't even the undisputed best quarterback of the class nevermind actually being considered the consensus top pick. Honestly even though Sam played in one of the biggest markets in sports I feel like the media went a little easy on him. Many folks had him pegged as the best qb in his class even over Josh Allen. Yes Sam dealt with his share of ridicule but that was largely from fans and that's the way it goes in ny. For a former third overall pick looking at his overall circumstances and struggles he was not mistreated as badly as some folks here like to make it out to be. As if he was given the worst roster ever in league history and everyone expected him to suck before he suited up. He still has his youth and everything in front of him and he was traded to a team with much better prospects and a bright outlook on the whole and an up and coming roster with very nice offensive weapons even if left tackle is still up in the air. Not many failed quarterbacks walk right into their next opportunity like he has. So in conclusion let's move on from the recycling of sob stories about the Jets and get ready for camp.

 

All that sounds like a Cam fan trying to downplay Sams struggles.

 

You gloss over Sams situation, then tell folks to move on. lol How dare folks talk about their shiny new QB. Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 7:33 PM, Shocker said:

Will remember this…you don't get to jump on the bus later bud.  Keep writing people off beforehand…really good outlook 

I’m patiently sitting out the entire Rhule era which is inclusive of the Sam Darnold experiment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...