• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What They're Saying: Sam Darnold a breakout candidate

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Sam's INTs went from 15 as a rookie, to 11 last year. Not sure he deserves too much grief for those numbers. With the Jets.

If Sam plays every game. I can realistically see 10+ wins.

Most of our Oline run block well. With a Zone Blocking scheme, we may run the ball well. If that happens, Play Action opens up, slowing the pass rush. Sounds good on paper

17 tds 15 ints...out of 414 attempts 2018.

19 tds 13 ints.....out of 441 attempts 2019.

9 tds   11 ints.....out of 364 attempts 2020.

...hmmmm

I can honesty say I see double digit ints incoming...as far as TDs...i don't know but i don't even see 20. I bet he hits 10+ ints before 10+ Tds...

2 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

...hmmmm

I can honesty say I see double digit ints incoming...as far as TDs...i don't know but i don't even see 20. I bet he hits 10+ ints before 10+ Tds...

3 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

...hmmmm

Well, that's like, your opinion man.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

...hmmmm

If you got $20 to back that up. I'll take the other side. Or 50, you name it.

Otherwise, I'll just chalk you up as another internet yahoo.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Shocker said:

This team looks very strong around Sam.  I am amazingly excited to see what he can do.  

By almost every measurable metric, this team is trending upwards. Rhule, Fitt, and Co. seem to have a firm handle on what they want to achieve. 

It hasn't been perfect. But man, it is still exciting to watch. I tell ya what.

So this is what competent management looks like? Hubby likey

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh it isn't a great deal but it isn't back breaking. That is what I mean.

I don’t know. 19M for a backup/traded QB(for the 2nd year in a row) is a couple solid players each year. Especially when there was absolutely no reason to guarantee him that money in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I don’t know. 19M for a backup/traded QB(for the 2nd year in a row) is a couple solid players each year. Especially when there was absolutely no reason to guarantee him that money in the first place. 

Fair but it isn't Matt Kalil bad. Would I have given him that 5th year? Absolutely not. But, is it a cap nuking move? Not so much. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

...hmmmm

Hitting 10+ INT'S before 10+ TD's would be a complete disaster. I have extremely low expectations for Darnold but if he hits 10+ INT's in this offense before 10 TD's that would be a real surprise. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Fair but it isn't Matt Kalil bad. Would I have given him that 5th year? Absolutely not. But, is it a cap nuking move? Not so much. 

If 19M in dead money for ONE player after one season isn’t cap nuking, what is? At least Kalil was spread out. And his dead money was 4M less total. 

After pissing away 80M to suck last year, and very questionable moves this year, I see no difference in the way this team handles the cap. 

3 hours ago, Toomers said:

If 19M in dead money for ONE player after one season isn’t cap nuking, what is?

We're fretting about something that hasn't happened yet.

At least Kalil was spread out. And his dead money was 4M less total. 

Mortgaging wasteful spending isn't better than paying outright.

After pissing away 80M to suck last year, and very questionable moves this year, I see no difference in the way this team handles the cap. 

Fitt was hired in mid January.  Little early to eval.  If Sam pans out, there's no dead cap.

I promise you, FItt is going to have plenty of real whiffs for us to bitch about and Sam may become one of them, but he may not.

Let's keep our powder dry, at least until Sam has played a snap or 2.

The kid might be good.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Toomers said:

If 19M in dead money for ONE player after one season isn’t cap nuking, what is? At least Kalil was spread out. And his dead money was 4M less total. 

Well, we are toting $42.5 mil in dead cap this season, so it is definitely an improvement over that. Not a high bar to hit but perhaps we can jettison him with a little relief like we did Teddy. If he bombs here, I suspect that won't be easy. 

7 hours ago, SBBlue said:

We're fretting about something that hasn't happened yet.

Mortgaging wasteful spending isn't better than paying outright.

Fitt was hired in mid January.  Little early to eval.  If Sam pans out, there's no dead cap.

I promise you, FItt is going to have plenty of real whiffs for us to bitch about and Sam may become one of them, but he may not.

Let's keep our powder dry, at least until Sam has played a snap or 2.

The kid might be good.

The guarantee has happened. It’s not a Sam is good/bad question. It’s risk/reward. Why guarantee 19M instead of just seeing how he does first. There’s no upside and if he isn’t good, you’re stuck with another unwanted QB at a huge cap hit. Even if he goes “Tannehill”, his first year on a new contract won’t be much different than 19M. So you have risked 19M to gain nothing. That’s not a wait and see issue. It’s financially irresponsible no matter how Sam performs. 

13 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

...hmmmm

Of course he's going to throw double digit INTs. Over half (18) of starting QBs did last season. I don't know that I'd bet on him hitting double digit INTs before TDs though.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, we are toting $42.5 mil in dead cap this season, so it is definitely an improvement over that. Not a high bar to hit but perhaps we can jettison him with a little relief like we did Teddy. If he bombs here, I suspect that won't be easy. 

And 17M of that is Teddy. They already have almost 16M in dead cap for 2022. If Darnold fails, it will be close to that number again. Plus Shaq?(12.5) Erv and Elf?(10M). It adds up quick.