• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What They're Saying: Sam Darnold a breakout candidate

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Many franchise QBs are game managers on good teams.  

Tom Brady is the greatest game manager in history. The second greatest is probably a dead heat between Joe Montana and Peyton Manning. Drew Brees is also a top 5 all-time game manager. People who disregard game management don't really understand football. 

The problem is the Madden-fication of fans. That's why they get all het up about whether a player is really good or elite. It's why they bifurcate QBs into game managers and gun slingers. It's stupid and not reflective of reality. The greatest QBs are the greatest game managers. The mediocre QBs are mediocre game managers and the worst are really bad at it. 

It takes more than a "game manager" to orchestrate overcoming the largest deficit in super bowl history and acquiring seven rings including one with a new team at 43 years old. Some of you exist outside reality or maybe you've witnessed mediocrity too long but stop lowering the bar geesh.

• Pie 1

On 7/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, AceBoogie said:

There’s never been a player who sucked for 3 years for a team and then turned into a good player. It’s not going to happen. 

On April 15th you said the same thing you did here. I responded then:

In case you missed my list:

Steve Young

Ryan Tannehill

Rich Gannon

Trent Green

Aaron Rodgers

Terry Bradshaw

And some new ones:

Kurt Warner

Alex Smith

Brad Johnson

So to counter your argument, it has in fact happened before. Numerous times in fact. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

It takes more than a "game manager" to orchestrate overcoming the largest deficit in super bowl history and acquiring seven rings including one with a new team at 43 years old. Some of you exist outside reality or maybe you've witnessed mediocrity too long but stop lowering the bar geesh.

You make it sound as if a game manager is a bad thing. It isn't. A game manager uses his team's assets and makes plays to move the ball. He knows how to exploit the defense and take advantage of what the defense is giving him. Brady didn't win the Superbowl when he had perhaps his best offense ever. That is the biggest misconception with the Patriots. Their defense has won many of their championships. Even when they got abused for 3 quarters by Atlanta, it was the defense that finally made plays which set the offense up to come back.  Game managers have won more superbowls than guys who have tried to put teams on their back like Cam in 2015. 

14 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You make it sound as if a game manager is a bad thing. It isn't. A game manager uses his team's assets and makes plays to move the ball.

I tend to agree with you but the pejorative "game manager" was consistently used to knock Teddy when he was here...

...a "game manager" just wasn't good enough because we need a QB "who can put the team on his back and win the game for you"...

...that was the constant refrain.

Now with Teddy out of the picture the narrative surrounding the QB being a "game manager" seems to have done a 180* turn and it's now acceptable. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

I tend to agree with you but the pejorative "game manager" was consistently used to knock Teddy when he was here...

...a "game manager" just wasn't good enough because we need a QB "who can put the team on his back and win the game for you"...

...that was the constant refrain.

Now with Teddy out of the picture the narrative surrounding the QB being a "game manager" seems to have done a 180* turn and it's now acceptable. 

Teddy was a good game manager and could have been successful if he had thrown the ball downfield and had the arm strength to make all the throws. That is where Darnold has a better chance to be the guy.

I imagine some folks who don't really understand football might disparage the  game manager label as a bad thing.  But what is funny is when they describe franchise quarterbacks as so superior often using the example of someone who is in fact a game manager.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Derek Carr

If he's this caliber then we got a steal. I think Carr is quietly one of the most underrated QBs in the league after being loudly one of the most overrated a few years back. People were trying to crown his ass early on in his career, then he had a couple of subpar years with significant organizational turmoil around him and now he's getting back to the level of play he was at when people were trying to crown his ass but it seems like not many are taking notice of it.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Teddy was a good game manager

Teddy is a mediocre game manager. If he was good, we'd have won 8-9 games last year. Part of being a good game manager is knowing when to take shots. He was afraid. You cannot be a good game manager and operate out of fear.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Teddy is a mediocre game manager. If he was good, we'd have won 8-9 games last year. Part of being a good game manager is knowing when to take shots. He was afraid. You cannot be a good game manager and operate out of fear.

Obviously he had fatal flaws which doomed his success here.  He had a good handle on the offense but had no deep ball. I surely hope that Darnold can unlock the potential of this offense.

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

bet...

That's a vague and cryptic non-answer, certainly not a confirmation of a wager.

Reply as follows, IF you're serious (I am):

I'll agree to wager $___ (20, up to 50) that (and I quote you from 7/17/21, I bet he hits 10+ ints before 10+ Tds...

(The subject of the bet being Sam Darnold.)

This bet is made against bigdavis, who takes the other side of the bet.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Obviously he had fatal flaws...

We'll see, sure looks like he's gonna get a serious look in Denver.

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

He had a good handle on the offense but had no deep ball. I surely hope that Darnold can unlock the potential of this offense.

What are the odds Teddy outperforms Sam this season?

That would certainly sets some heads to spinning!

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I imagine some folks who don't really understand football might disparage the  game manager label as a bad thing.

I concur.

I think the narrative was driven by a contingent of Cam nut-huggers still pining for the return of days long gone....

...by definition the QB's job is to "manage the game".

20 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Teddy is a mediocre game manager. If he was good, we'd have won 8-9 games last year. Part of being a good game manager is knowing when to take shots.

He was afraid.

You cannot be a good game manager and operate out of fear.

Yeah.  He knew his limitations and so preferred the shorter passes.  He threw ints in the RZ and EZ...and the wheels fell off as the season went...especially in the last game.

• Pie 1