• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jermain Carter Highest PFF Panther LB Last Year

SBBlue

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Our play at LB needs elevation, no doubt, but Carter is solid nonetheless. When he comes in, he may not be spectacular, but he does his job and probably surpasses expectations while doing it.

I think if a miracle happens(and it seems like it would take that) and Perryman can stay healthy, you will see an instant boost in our LB corps. He seems to be the highest ceiling LB we have on the roster(not playing safety).

3 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

Shaq has never really passed my eye test. I never thought he was that good on his own, more of a product of the pieces around him.

Besides, we drafted him to cover TEs and he cant really do it.

Shaq most often lines up at the WLB position which is often responsible for the slot. The SLB is who usually covers TEs. He was selected to be the heir to TD's role, and spent a lot of time as the Buffalo nickel tasked with covering slot WRs during his rookie season.

He only allowed 1 TD last season on 76 targets with an average depth of target being under 4yds. The team played a LOT of zone coverage in order to protect their weak DBs and pass rush, which leaves a LOT on the LBs (even more when we consider how much of a non-factor Whitehead was). Some quick stats to show this:

image.png.31fe23e1cef57e97e59d7816a797e248.pngimage.png.0109e07674ad1929f40505a0cf4dd6b7.pngimage.png.70f4253dd4fabc5e3d3a47c179ad0028.png

When we look at the data, we can see why avg DOT vs. Shaq was under 4yds as the team was often having him drop back into zone coverage, meaning receivers settling in the soft spot beneath the zone. However, Shaq was also only 3 tackles behind Jeremy Chinn (114 vs. 117) but with substantially less missed tackles (8 (6.6%) vs. 15 (%11.4)). They weren't getting passed him too often.

The 90.7 passer rating when targeting him was 5th best on the team last year behind Donte, Roy, Haynes, and Hartsfield. To put that into further perspective, those 5 players combined were targeted only 8 more times than Shaq was. Considering that the two back-up DL and Hartsfield combined for less total defensive snaps than Shaq (849 vs. 1031), those numbers start to look even more impressive. Add in the variables such as a brand new defense + staff, youth movement, having to get guys in position, etc shows that Shaq is an asset regardless of how some folks might feel about his contract numbers (which they try to defend by downplaying Shaq rather than the dude responsible for awful contracts: Hurney).

While he failed to get a pick last year, that's more due to the play calling (heavy zone usage) than it is Shaq lacking especially since only 5 defenders last year got an INT with only Donte having more than 1. Shaq's 5 PDs tied with Chinn for 3rd best on the team behind Donte + Rasul. Shaq and Chinn also tied for 2nd in forced fumbles behind Burns (bah gawd Jeremy Chinn is friggin amazing).

Personally, I cannot WAIT for the revamped secondary and pass rush to get out there with an even deeper LB group. Burns, Chinn, Shaq, Horn, Brown, Abouye, and Donte? Sprinkle in Carter, Perryman, YGM, and DaQuan? That defense is going to get off the damn field on 3rd down in 2021! 

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Not at all surprising. ST is a decent starter but by 2022 he will have an 18 million dollar cap hit. Unless he transforms into a hall of famer this fall that contract is a weight around our necks. Sorry if that is ultimately an inconvenient truth to some but that's life. For all this talk of "slander" he has gotten a hell of lot better treatment than some past Panthers that have not lived up to big contracts so you can put alway the violin.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, stbugs said:

Or Whitehead. Both of them had terrible PFF scores so saying Carter had the best score of the LBers is basically just saying he was the tallest midget. Carter's score was 66, which is OK, not good. Shaq was under 50, which is bad and Whitehead was around 30, which is "shouldn't be in the NFL" level.

That's why I shook my head when I saw we signed Whitehead and everyone here seemed to be cheering for it, if not crying because Luke was gone.

I'll stand by my pick projection, we should've taken Micah Parsons instead of Horn. Cornerbacks can affect the game but a Middle Linebacker of that athletic ability alters a franchise.

I assumed our new GM would understand that because without Wagner and Chancellor, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman are JAG. Inside out. 

17 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

That's why I shook my head when I saw we signed Whitehead and everyone here seemed to be cheering for it, if not crying because Luke was gone.

I'll stand by my pick projection, we should've taken Micah Parsons instead of Horn. Cornerbacks can affect the game but a Middle Linebacker of that athletic ability alters a franchise.

I assumed our new GM would understand that because without Wagner and Chancellor, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman are JAG. Inside out. 

I'm sorry, but in today's NFL a great CB is more valuable than a great MLB. If a MLB misses a play, there are still players who can make the play. If a CB misses a play, it can turn into a TD.

We had Luke for 8 years. That didn't seem to alter this franchise. 

9 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I'm sorry, but in today's NFL a great CB is more valuable than a great MLB. If a MLB misses a play, there are still players who can make the play. If a CB misses a play, it can turn into a TD.

We had Luke for 8 years. That didn't seem to alter this franchise. 

Too simplistic a take.  Luke enabled us to reach a SB.  You cannot look at "just" his stats - and those are impressive enough.  You also have to look at how many times Luke put the players around him in position to win.  It was all the freaking time.  You cannot compare Luke to other MLB's.  He's just different sauce altogether.

This isn't to say Horn wasn't the correct pick.  Our need at CB was immense.  I suspect Horn will make a greater impact for us than a Micah Parsons would have.  Parsons is a great talent, and he'll make a ton of plays.  I just think that when you look at our needs and the relative talent you're taking and the positions . . . Horn was probably the better pick.

• Pie 1