• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential HOF on the roster?

ISEEYOU

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're probably wrong about that, but it doesn't really matter. The Hall of Fame isn't purely stat driven (nor should it be).

He is 8th all time in yards.  All above him are in. He is 12th in number of catches.  He got  the receiving triple crown (one of only three in the modern era).  He has better numbers then anyone else waiting, including Reggie Wayne, who played with the best statistical QB of our generation (Steve played mostly with Jake freaking Delhomme). That argument alone would put Steve above Reggie.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I just looked, there is no one with more yards than Smith. Who would you think I'm wrong about? Marvin Harrison? Reggie Wayne? Andre Johnson? Anquan Bolden? Torry Holt? Nope. 2 of them have 1 more TD catch and a few more catches on him but no one has the yards. Just saying. Steve has a pretty great resume outside of a Sb ring and no HOF Qb throwing to him for the majority of his career.

And yet those guys aren't in either, including the ones who do have Super Bowl rings.

That, plus there's a list of guys who've been waiting even longer than them (Cliff Branch, Mark Clayton and Mark Duper for example).

You seriously think Steve Smith is just gonna leapfrog those guys?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And yet those guys aren't in either, including the ones who do have Super Bowl rings.

That, plus there's a list of guys who've been waiting even longer than them (Cliff Branch, Mark Clayton and Mark Duper for example).

Yes. 100% Smitty would get in over those guys. No contest.

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think he's got as good a shot as anybody especially since stats aren't solely what they go off of. Steve was a 5' 9 beast who played like he was 6'5. There was no one else like that in NFL History. Ontop of that he was catching passes from Delhomme and whatever camp arm we signed to the active roster. He even survived the train wreck that was the Jimmy Clausen fiasco. The only WR that can claim was in a similar situation was Andre Johnson and even his stats are inferior to Steve's. He's also 1/3 WRs to ever achieve the Triple Crown. The other two? Sterling Sharpe (HoFer if he played longer), and Jerry Rice (HOF). It wouldnt surprise me if he got in, he's the most deserving out of any of those guys 100%.

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes. 100% Smitty would get in over those guys. No contest.

I'm not sure you're going to find a lot of agreement with that outside of the Panther fanbase.

The biggest thing Smith needs is a Hall of Fame voter pushing for him. Given his relationship with a lot of the media guys, I'm not sure that's gonna be easy to find.

Steve is a HOF'er...however he's likely not a 1st ballot HOF'er.

Couple things working against him.

Small market team.

No rings.

2 All Pro's

Log jam at his position.

I think he get's in, and his current media gig may help him in a little sooner, but I don't think it's a quick as many in Panther Land are expecting.

25 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

LK will get in before any of the others...  First ballot

I'd think Peppers first.  He should be up for it before Keuchly and could potentially be first ballot.  He's 4th all time in sacks. 

• Beer 2

Steve Smith is now an eligible candidate in 2022 after this year’s star-studded class that included Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, and Charles Woodson was announced. So there will be speculation between now and this time next year as to whether he is worthy of a first-ballot induction.

Make no mistake, there is a serious case to be made for this.

Smith’s career was nothing short of phenomenal. His time with the Panthers may have ended before it should have. But there was little doubting his credentials during a 16-year stint in the NFL that concluded with 1,031 receptions, 14,731 receiving yards, and 81 touchdowns.

His individual accolades were also extremely noteworthy. He was a five-time Pro Bowler, made the first-team All-Pro roster on two occasions, and was the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year in 2005.

These are some strong credentials that Smith is bringing to the table.

6 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I just looked, there is no one with more yards than Smith. Who would you think I'm wrong about? Marvin Harrison? Reggie Wayne? Andre Johnson? Anquan Bolden? Torry Holt? Nope. 2 of them have 1 more TD catch and a few more catches on him but no one has the yards. Just saying. Steve has a pretty great resume outside of a Sb ring and no HOF Qb throwing to him for the majority of his career. If any WR stands a chance at first ballot its definitely Steve

A little while ago, someone mentioned Steve and the HOF. I did a little research and Steve did really well from what I found. I know we, as Panther fans, want to think it can happen. But from what I have read, and seen, I think he has a good shot.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, Thorrez said:

I think Burns will be an absolute awesome player for us, still the competition at pass rusher right now will keep him out. He'll be hurt by the "Yes, lots of sacks but a one trick pony" argument. Voter loves those blow up the tackle highlight guys, not the use technic to accomplish the same guys.

CMC can get in if his body hold up and he can put together a long second carrier as at slot receiver.

Chinn is too early to tell, but he certainly has the wow factor.

I think it is way to early to even say that about Burns. He may yet flourish into a complete and dominant pass rusher rushers get much better in run support. He is just a third year player, keep in mind. And he spent much of year one in the Rivera doghouse.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Luciu5 said:

I'd think Peppers first.  He should be up for it before Keuchly and could potentially be first ballot.  He's 4th all time in sacks. 

I had a huge brainfart on Peppers even though I saw him on the list, and yeah he will be elligible a year before LK they are both first ballot guys IMO.