• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton says 2016 shoulder injury affected him for years

WarPanthers89

What could have been……

Patriots quarterback Cam Newton says an injury to his throwing shoulder that he suffered in 2016 took years to heal and changed the way he played.

Newton posted a video on YouTube todaythat he filmed in September of 2020 in which he says he was just beginning to feel like his old self again for the first time in years.

“Last time I’ve been healthy?” Newton said. “Honest, 2016.”

Newton injured his throwing shoulder in December of 2016 trying to make a tackle after he threw an interception.

“I threw an interception,” Newton said. “I tried to go make the tackle, and I tried to push him out, and I extended my arm, and I messed up my AC joint. And ever since then, there’s just been a part of me that’s just been a wounded dog. Like a wounded lion almost. Just, ‘I’m not right.’ I feel good at times, but when I’m running I still feel it. So instead of running them over, I’m going to turn this shoulder and just go down.”

It’s unclear why Newton posted the video to YouTube today when he made the comments 10 months ago, but he titled his YouTube video, “What REALLY Happened To My Shoulder,” which suggests he thinks people don’t realize the full story of his shoulder injury. He did indicate, however, that the shoulder fully healed in time for the 2020 season. And that he’s posting the video today suggests he thinks he’s good to go for 2021.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/09/cam-newton-says-2016-shoulder-injury-affected-him-for-years/

EF8D6485-4D6F-4F3D-97DD-086A52F32730.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

Cam took cheap shot after cheap shot to his most vulnerable areas his whole time in Carolina. It was blatantly obvious and it was blatantly obvious the refs/league were going to allow it to happen. Defenses feasted and took shot at his head/shoulder/legs constantly 

• Pie 8

12 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Cam took cheap shot after cheap shot to his most vulnerable areas his whole time in Carolina. It was blatantly obvious and it was blatantly obvious the refs/league were going to allow it to happen. Defenses feasted and took shot at his head/shoulder/legs constantly 

It is comical how much the rules have changed to protect a QB during Cams short career. It seems like decades ago that they were head hunting Cam compared to today’s rules.

• Pie 1

So the year before he was leading rusher he was having shoulder issues. Is it any wonder everything finally fell apart in '18? Good for him. I hope he opens up more about all this in the years that follow. I think we will be surprised to hear some things.

7 minutes ago, grateflday said:

Have to take Cam's comment it all started in 2016, but if there was any hope of recovery ... this was the hit that officially ended Cam's shoulder.   Week 10 in 2018.  

Cam shoulder hit by steeler player.JPG

That game was a blur. Was this a penalty? Can't imagine an ejection isn't at the very least under consideration if someone hits Rodgers or Brady like that in 2021.

7 minutes ago, grateflday said:

Have to take Cam's comment it all started in 2016, but if there was any hope of recovery ... this was the hit that officially ended Cam's shoulder.   Week 10 in 2018.  

Cam shoulder hit by steeler player.JPG

I firmly believe this is true.

I have a healthy respect (or fear) of shoulder injuries for QBs.  Just like MLB pitchers, most often they are career-enders.  QBs can labor on for a while with them, but it usually is the end.

I'm sure he believes this will be the year he is back to 100%.  If you are a betting person, I'm not sure you want to wager against the house on this one. Unfortunately, he came back too early and too often from this hit and the one he cites.  I'm just not sure you can undo that. 

I hope he is correct, but the odds are very much against it.

• Pie 1

There are rivers of regret to be cried over with regards to the way Cam was handled here in Carolina.  No doubt.  We likely ruined the most talented QB of the past 10 years through both our handling of him and our coaching of him.

All that said, if anyone is buying the story that his shoulder was "fully healed" for last season, I invite you to go put on some 2015 tape, beside some 2020 tape and tell me his shoulder is now "healed".  He may feel healed, and I hope that at least he doesn't hurt every day.  It doesn't change the facts however.

He's a shadow of the player who once was. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, frankw said:

That game was a blur. Was this a penalty? Can't imagine an ejection isn't at the very least under consideration if someone hits Rodgers or Brady like that in 2021.

No penalty called on this one ... just like many other brutal hits Cam took and this hit by Watt was clearly a spear as he lead with his helmet.  

Edited by grateflday
  • Pie 1