• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sunday Ticket rumoring continues

PanthersATL

28 minutes ago, onmyown said:

There’s levels. I always find those comments to be stupid. Like did you post that from your bike you built, in a library parking lot, using their WiFi on a device that was donated to you while eating a perfectly good meal from the trash? If not, you’re not saving money anywhere you can. I mean how far can you go with that?

Everyone spends money on different things. Including kids. Or a spouse. Education.

The key to wealth AND happiness is being smart and plan - know where to make the sacrifices and find the balance so you don’t turn poo miserable person.

And if buying a things like direct tv or even a ticket to a game, destroys your whole possibility of wealth, it wasn’t there to begin with.

My comment is really not related to DirectTV and their overpriced NFL shovelware.

Not trying to be a contrarian. But Streaming is a pain in the ass to me. I pay for the service then I pay to stream the show or event   It adds up  quickly 

it has almost reached absurdity.

Hulu. Peacock. Netflix, ad nauseum   And on and on and on and on And then streaming on your iPhone and praying it will mirror properly to your tv or spending money on an hdmi Attachment 

even golf events, can’t watch it on tv but pay $64 a year to the golf channel plus streaming fees.  Enough already 

Every single nfl game on Sunday is on either fox  cbs or nbc.   Just let people choose what broadcast they want to see and do away with the damned ‘in network’ territory areas   It’s not hard 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Not trying to be a contrarian. But Streaming is a pain in the ass to me. I pay for the service then I pay to stream the show or event   It adds up  quickly 

it has almost reached absurdity.

Hulu. Peacock. Netflix, ad nauseum   And on and on and on and on And then streaming on your iPhone and praying it will mirror properly to your tv or spending money on an hdmi Attachment 

even golf events, can’t watch it on tv but pay $64 a year to the golf channel plus streaming fees.  Enough already 

Every single nfl game on Sunday is on either fox  cbs or nbc.   Just let people choose what broadcast they want to see and do away with the damned ‘in network’ territory areas   It’s not hard 

This is of course the ultimate solution. But then there is in-market advertising. Someone on the west coast being advertised for east coast companies, events, what have you is moot. And money will be lost.

Of course there is always the ability to localize commercials to some extent, but I’m not in broadcasting and have no clue how feasible that is for a network. I know there are apps that do it though.

All said and done the NFL claims they want to reach as many fans as possible and then have turned around and alienated fans, it makes no sense. They see NFL as a whole, a product, and don’t distinguish the fact people are fans of teams, not the NFL in general. So their ideas based on profit is basically a kick in fans’, their own customer’s nuts.

Just completely out of touch with their own product and how it works in relation to customers, not profit. There has to be a balance, and there hasn’t been since it’s existence. Because there doesn’t have to be. They make plenty of revenue without caring. Not many businesses can ignore fans like that and get away with it.

So what would need to happen is someone, business minded, will actually have to care about the fans/customers. It just doesn’t happen. A good analogy is like wanting JR to put a Panther logo midfield. It never happened. Fans don’t run the business side of the NFL.

Not me, but most people don’t even watch any game but their own team. And I’m sure a lot would pay just for their team’s games.

/rant

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 4

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

This is of course the ultimate solution. But then there is in-market advertising. Someone on the west coast being advertised for east coast companies, events, what have you is moot. And money will be lost.

Of course there is always the ability to localize commercials to some extent, but I’m not in broadcasting and have no clue how feasible that is for a network. I know there are apps that do it though.

All said and done the NFL claims they want to reach as many fans as possible and then have turned around and alienated fans, it makes no sense. They see NFL as a whole, a product, and don’t distinguish the fact people are fans of teams, not the NFL in general. So their ideas based on profit is basically a kick in fans’, their own customer’s nuts.

Just completely out of touch with their own product and how it works in relation to customers, not profit. There has to be a balance, and there hasn’t been since it’s existence. Because there doesn’t have to be. They make plenty of revenue without caring. Not many businesses can ignore fans like that and get away with it.

So what would need to happen is someone, business minded, will actually have to care about the fans/customers. It just doesn’t happen. A good analogy is like wanting JR to put a Panther logo midfield. It never happened. Fans don’t run the business side of the NFL.

Not me, but most people don’t even watch any game but their own team. And I’m sure a lot would pay just for their team’s games.

/rant

I agree with you

…but I have Sunday Ticket and if I don’t want to watch the Panthers on the local station, I don’t have to right now so what is the difference if go to fox and pay, oh I don’t know, $10 pay per view to see the Washington Redskins or the Hew York Giants   

many fans of the nfl do not have the means, and some  older can’t navigate, the streaming and smart tv conundrum 

DirecTV shot themselves in the foot when they refused to open up their streaming platform to everyone. The BS about not being able to purchase the streaming only package if you lived at an address that could get DirecTV was horrible business. 

NFL should just create their own streaming service like MLB did and save everyone the headache.

55 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

its 2021 the free stream is just as good

*SOMEBODY* is paying for it. And if that somebody is distributing their feed without the express permission of the NFL and its broadcast partners, where any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent....  then the FBI should come knocking on their door.

They won't, but that disclaimer gives the FBI and the NFL the opportunity to do so. They won't necessarily go after the recipients of the feeds, but they *could*.

Think back to the Napster/Limewire days of illegal file sharing. Once Apple and other technology leaders (along with the copyright holders) realized that people will pay for a subscription service to listen to "any song in the world", the need to go illegal diminished greatly.  The artists are getting screwed over from a royalty payment perspective, but that's for a different thread elsewhere.

The NFL is smart - they realize they're leaving money on the table by locking in to the existing Sunday Ticket concept. They want to grow the fanbase, and there are plenty of people who'd be willing to buy a single game each week for $X without it affecting/cannibalizing ticket sales. 

22 hours ago, onmyown said:

No issue inserting/replacing national or regional ads with localized ads. Cable networks and streamers do it all the time. 

National broadcasts usually reserve the ad spot at the :50 for local ad sales, which generally are used by the local affiliate to pimp their late night news or other specialty programming in addition to any premium local advertisers that are around.

Broadcast commercials are pretty much hard-coded to :30 or :60 spots, so it's relatively easy to do a 1:1 replacement. Streaming gets a bit more difficult, as you may end up in a situation where a 1:1 replacement isn't possible based on advertiser fill rules. You could end up replacing a :30 with a :60, resulting in either a late rejoin (where you miss the first :30 of the next segment) *or* the stream itself is then delayed by :30 until the next commercial break where they will make up for that timing overrun by inserting fewer commercials (hopefully) to bring the listener/viewer back closer to live.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, Harbingers said:

How early is early? 

Probably 06ish

I got one of the first Ipods back in the day.  Back then your device had to sync 100% or it would wipe it entirely.  It was a huge pain adding music and keeping it from conflicting.  Made no sense to me.  My Sony was drag and drop and I didn't need to sign up for anything.  I decided I was done with Apple then and haven't used anything of theirs since.

I was in college in the Napster days.  I had my mom's old work computer.  It had a memory upgrade to 0.98 GB of storage. LOL

I could only hold a limited number of songs at a time.  I also remember the dial up internet was so slow we would cue up 5 or so songs before going to bed so that they would be downloaded by morning.  Waking up to an error message was so deflating.  And so was someone mislabeling a file so you didn't download what you thought you did.

• Pie 4

27 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I was in college in the Napster days.  I had my mom's old work computer.  It had a memory upgrade to 0.98 GB of storage. LOL

I could only hold a limited number of songs at a time.  I also remember the dial up internet was so slow we would cue up 5 or so songs before going to bed so that they would be downloaded by morning.  Waking up to an error message was so deflating.  And so was someone mislabeling a file so you didn't download what you thought you did.

fug Lars Ulrich forever

• Flames 1