• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricanes may not resign Nedejkovic

Goaltending situation to watch: will Carolina qualify Alex Nedeljkovic? It seems crazy to ask, but there are rumours the Hurricanes are not crazy about his arbitration award potential. I’m not always good with comparables, but Vancouver’s extension with Thatcher Demko put his last two non-UFA seasons at $2.5 million and $4.5 million (including a $1-million signing bonus). Same situation Carolina’s going through with Warren Foegele. There’s been a lot of interest with him.

This could potentially be a nightmare offseason for us.

• Pie 1

Potentially but our pieces are solid and I feel like we can bring in more talent this off-season. I would rather keep Foegs if we can though, he’s gonna beast out next season where ever he’s at. But I think he wants to be a solid 2 if not a 1 and we probably can’t give him that here. Though I’m not sure he’d get that in Seattle either. If we don’t protect him he’s going to Seattle for sure unless we work a deal. 

It appears Ned may be negotiating like he won the cup where as the team side is like ya, you got poo to work on. I don’t think Don would low ball him but Ned also doesn’t strike me as a long term solution currently. At least if his mentality stays the same. He seems more of the Luongo type unfortunately in retrospect. We really need to find a solid rook who wants to learn behind Mrazek. But finding talent like that is hard as we all know. If Ned tones it down a notch and takes a reasonable bump in pay I’d be down to see what he can do over 2-3 seasons. Though I feel like next year needs to be a finals year or Aho may start to get restless.

My biggest thing is we need to keep Paa around. I’d gladly sacrifice Hamilton for Paa at this point. He’s gonna grow bounds if he’s around this off-season. He provides that passive enforcement we’ve been missing on defense. If he settles in and gets comfortable I think we’ll see some serious active enforcement from him next season.

I’m not sold on Bean either but he made steady progress this past season. 

I would not be surprised if we let Ned walk or go to Seattle. I mean we could probably get the Seattle first out of Francis for him at this point. Would that really be that bad? 

5 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Ned is better than Mrazek. This is easy, get rid of Mrazek and find another to pair with Ned. If we let Ned go and continue to hitch our wagon to Mrazek, we aren't going anywhere.

Ya but what do you do when Ned wants 6-8 million? I’m not sure how high he can go with arbitration as an RFA but that sounds like the issue right now. 

Edited by Harbingers

16 hours ago, Harbingers said:

It appears Ned may be negotiating like he won the cup where as the team side is like ya, you got poo to work on. I don’t think Don would low ball him but Ned also doesn’t strike me as a long term solution currently. At least if his mentality stays the same. He seems more of the Luongo type unfortunately in retrospect. We really need to find a solid rook who wants to learn behind Mrazek. But finding talent like that is hard as we all know. If Ned tones it down a notch and takes a reasonable bump in pay I’d be down to see what he can do over 2-3 seasons. Though I feel like next year needs to be a finals year or Aho may start to get restless.

I don't understand this thinking at all.

We finally find a franchise goalie. And we found him while we have a relatively stable front office and a young talented roster. Why would we possibly entertain letting him get away is beyond me.

Mrazek is not and never will be a #1 goalie. We've been riding the mediocre goalie go round for damn near a decade now. I, for one, am ready to get the hell off that damn ride.

Is Ned the next Vaselessski? Probably not. But, he was good enough as a rookie to drag us to a President's Trophy. You don't let that type of goalie walk out the door for nothing. Especially when your organization has invested as much time developing them as we have with Ned.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I don't understand this thinking at all.

We finally find a franchise goalie. And we found him while we have a relatively stable front office and a young talented roster. Why would we possibly entertain letting him get away is beyond me.

Mrazek is not and never will be a #1 goalie. We've been riding the mediocre goalie go round for damn near a decade now. I, for one, am ready to get the hell off that damn ride.

Is Ned the next Vaselessski? Probably not. But, he was good enough as a rookie to drag us to a President's Trophy. You don't let that type of goalie walk out the door for nothing. Especially when your organization has invested as much time developing them as we have with Ned.

100% this. I don't understand the people who are fine with Mrazek and whoever else we can find. Every time Mrazek is in the net I'm sweating bullets.

• Pie 4

If the Canes aren't going to pay a veteran in Hamilton the $8M he wants, how does it make sense to pay a rook goalie coming off his first partial season as a starter anywhere close to that?

Sorry, but as good, bad or mediocre as Ned may be to any of us, the reality is he's not worth much more than $2.5-4M a year, tops.

12 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

If the Canes aren't going to pay a veteran in Hamilton the $8M he wants, how does it make sense to pay a rook goalie coming off his first partial season as a starter anywhere close to that?

Sorry, but as good, bad or mediocre as Ned may be to any of us, the reality is he's not worth much more than $2.5-4M a year, tops.

20210713_010139.jpg

I count 2 goalies on that list that had better years than Ned last season.

He's hitting the market at the right time. Can't hate on that. But, make no mistake, someone will pay him what he is worth if we don't.

If Dundon penny pinches a Vezina level netminder out of town, I might have to tap out on this team for a bit. This new money MFer would send Gordie Howe packing if it saved him a nickel.

Edited by Stumpy

A bunch of those guys are on perennial playoff teams and a few of them have a Stanley Cup as well.

And what also should not be discounted is the fact this was a shortened and modified season that saw a limited number of opponents and very limited travel. Let's see what he does thru an 80-game grind with the travel.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

A bunch of those guys are on perennial playoff teams and a few of them have a Stanley Cup as well.

And what also should not be discounted is the fact this was a shortened and modified season that saw a limited number of opponents and very limited travel. Let's see what he does thru an 80-game grind with the travel.

We are a perennial playoff team.

I agree that we haven't seen what Ned can do in a full season yet. But, if you don't want to pay market rate, don't let a guy hit free agency.