• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Was The Panthers Worst Move This Off Season/

KatsAzz

5 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Season 15 of the Mr. Scot Anime is freaking wild...who could have seen this twist in his character arc.  From criticizing every move of the FO (down to if the vibration frequencies in their breathing patterns were off by 1-2 Hz) to this, dare I say optimistic mentality of "let's all just STFU and trust the FO and see how this all plays out".  WILD.  Guess he really did despise Marty that much to have completely flipped his philosophy.

Wild is a good term for Scot's arc. Bizarre highs and lows, I will say this- he does make huddle content. At times it did reach a hourly update blog type feel with saying no time blah blah. Still content is king and it covers up plenty, plus not my place to tell others how to post here. 

15 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

yeah i said the exact same thing on draft night on this very forum, but was told by Mr.Scot that was a stupid take...

But to add to this theory...the only reason I see for Rhule not taken Fields is either he wanted T.Lance/ he feels deep down PJ his QB, but the powers that be/fans need to warm up to the ideal. 

Hear me out...If Lance is there, u take Lance, he can sit behind Darnold for a year. You now have Darnold, Lance, PJ...Darnold can play out a year while Lance catches up.

but Fields, Darnold, PJ...is a mess. Fields would be #1 no doubt. But here's the thing...the new GM is making his first pick ever. So yeah Fields would be thrown out there as the starter just because...alot of pressure. PJ would never see the field.

now, the easy way out but still makes you look like a genius card:

Pass on Fields, escape drama...get defensive help, if by chance Darnold sucks(GM fault) play PJ(Rhule looks like a QB guru)

I said since last year, PJ is Rhule's guy...Teddy was more so Brady n Hurney, Tepper too, let's not act like he didn't see Teddy going 5-0 when Brees went down when we had Allen starting for Cam.

But does Brady believe in PJ, probably not much

Hurney's gone now...so how can Tepper be sold off on PJ...

By allowing a young once to be thought good,1st round pick get his shot...but without being so tied to him you invested too much. Now if he bust, say hey let's give PJ a shot what's to left to lose...

Fields could stink for 2 years but still have 3 years to prove he's good

Darnold gets 1 year, but just in case he actually is good, u got one more year on the books...if not "teddy" him.

The only reason I was able to finally accept not taking Fields is because Rhule's guy is PJ...and he believes in PJ so much he's willing to start Darnold as his QB.

yes Mr.Scot incoming stupid post...Rhule is such a genius he traded for a lame QB to prove to others how good his #2 QB actually is...he's pulling a E. Taylor...but PJ's not Voodoo bc he's black but PJ is Saracen bc Rhule's coach him from the ground up. He knows the more doubt people place on PJ, the better he performs...

...sidenote: sean ryan going make this kid great...

XI.png

Wtf?

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Season 15 of the Mr. Scot Anime is freaking wild...who could have seen this twist in his character arc.  From criticizing every move of the FO (down to if the vibration frequencies in their breathing patterns were off by 1-2 Hz) to this, dare I say optimistic mentality of "let's all just STFU and trust the FO and see how this all plays out".  WILD.  Guess he really did despise Marty that much to have completely flipped his philosophy.

Now this is a stupid take. But then you've got a long standing pattern of spending more time talking about me than actually talking about football, so...no shock.

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

He was a Gettlemagic fanboy too. He just didn't like Marty was the core of his angst. Not a lot to like, to be sure, but the full 180 was a bit much. 

The current crowd? Well....wait and see, IMO. Some good, some bad but mostly unknown.

FYI: The guy you're talking to was a big Marty defender, but I'm guessing he probably doesn't want to admit that now 😄

A lot of folks on here haven't been around long enough to know it, but I was pretty much the same with both Marty and Gettleman when they first started out. Might have been a little more optimistic with Gettleman given his background (and that he wasn't Marty).

But yeah, I gave Marty a chance too. Was on board after the early successes, but around 2009 or so I really started to lose faith. I think it was about then that I looked back at five years or so of drafts and realized our drafting under Marty was pretty bad.

And of course, it didn't get any better.

As to what you call "the current crowd", they do have the "not Marty" thing going for them, and Fitterer has a pretty solid resumé. Outside of that though, still yet to be seen. I overall like the moves so far, but that's just gut feeling.

We'll see what happens when it's actually put the test.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Part of me thinks our staff didn’t think Fields would be there so they made a deal for Darnold. Then on draft day they didn’t want to go QB after giving up picks for Darnold. I still would have, but it looks awkward at best to draft a QB after trading for a young one. I agree with you, passing on a young QB talent while gambling on a struggling young QB has the potential to be the worst offseason move by far…

If I thought they did that, I'd say they deserve to be fired. You don't make football decisions for appearances sake.

But yeah, that theory's been thrown around before, and been pretty well debunked.

I know it's hard for people to accept that they didn't like Fields, but all evidence points to that being the case. Heck, even Verge said it.

Edited by Mr. Scot

38 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

yeah i said the exact same thing on draft night on this very forum, but was told by Mr.Scot that was a stupid take...

But to add to this theory...the only reason I see for Rhule not taken Fields is either he wanted T.Lance/ he feels deep down PJ his QB, but the powers that be/fans need to warm up to the ideal. 

Hear me out...If Lance is there, u take Lance, he can sit behind Darnold for a year. You now have Darnold, Lance, PJ...Darnold can play out a year while Lance catches up.

but Fields, Darnold, PJ...is a mess. Fields would be #1 no doubt. But here's the thing...the new GM is making his first pick ever. So yeah Fields would be thrown out there as the starter just because...alot of pressure. PJ would never see the field.

now, the easy way out but still makes you look like a genius card:

Pass on Fields, escape drama...get defensive help, if by chance Darnold sucks(GM fault) play PJ(Rhule looks like a QB guru)

I said since last year, PJ is Rhule's guy...Teddy was more so Brady n Hurney, Tepper too, let's not act like he didn't see Teddy going 5-0 when Brees went down when we had Allen starting for Cam.

But does Brady believe in PJ, probably not much

Hurney's gone now...so how can Tepper be sold off on PJ...

By allowing a young once to be thought good,1st round pick get his shot...but without being so tied to him you invested too much. Now if he bust, say hey let's give PJ a shot what's to left to lose...

Fields could stink for 2 years but still have 3 years to prove he's good

Darnold gets 1 year, but just in case he actually is good, u got one more year on the books...if not "teddy" him.

The only reason I was able to finally accept not taking Fields is because Rhule's guy is PJ...and he believes in PJ so much he's willing to start Darnold as his QB.

yes Mr.Scot incoming stupid post...Rhule is such a genius he traded for a lame QB to prove to others how good his #2 QB actually is...he's pulling a E. Taylor...but PJ's not Voodoo bc he's black but PJ is Saracen bc Rhule's coach him from the ground up. He knows the more doubt people place on PJ, the better he performs...

...sidenote: sean ryan going make this kid great...

It is a stupid take, and so is this one.

The Panthers weren't interested in Lance because they felt he didn't fit Brady's offense. That's why they didn't bother to go to the second workout.

As to Rhule, I don't know if he's a genius yet. I do know PJ Walker is not an NFL quarterback though.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I thought they did that, I'd say they deserve to be fired. You don't make football decisions for appearances sake.

But yeah, that theory's been thrown around before, and been pretty well debunked.

I know it's hard for people to accept that they didn't like Fields, but all evidence points to that being the case. Heck, even Verge said it.

It just what I feel based on the circumstances. I don’t care if a writer/reporter was told differently by the Panther’s Front Office or if that reporter feels differently based on their knowledge. The whole Darnold signing gave me panic vibes and it can be spun however they want to spin it. Or maybe our staff is that confident (could be viewed as arrogant) to think they can steal a potential bust and make him look better than any QB in the draft. Verge said it based on her source, she also has been wrong just like everyone else. She all but guaranteed Mac Jones to the Niners.

I’m over the Fields thing, but the point of this thread is to project the worst offseason moves. If Fields looks the part and Darnold continues to struggle that would 100% be the worst move of the offseason. Hopefully our staff can help Darnold look the part and the Fields pick won’t even matter. So far Darnold is saying/doing all the right things, but that was never his issue.

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It just what I feel based on the circumstances. I don’t care if a writer/reporter was told differently by the Panther’s Front Office or if that reporter feels differently based on their knowledge. The whole Darnold signing gave me panic vibes and it can be spun however they want to spin it. Or maybe our staff is that confident (could be viewed as arrogant) to think they can steal a potential bust and make him look better than any QB in the draft. Verge said it based on her source, she also has been wrong just like everyone else. She all but guaranteed Mac Jones to the Niners.

I’m over the Fields thing, but the point of this thread is to project the worst offseason moves. If Fields looks the part and Darnold continues to struggle that would 100% be the worst move of the offseason. Hopefully our staff can help Darnold look the part and the Fields pick won’t even matter. So far Darnold is saying/doing all the right things, but that was never his issue.

I didn't see any such vibe at all.

Both Rhule and Fitterer were known to have been high on Darnold when he was draft eligible. That, plus they did a pretty thorough job of scouting him.

I think the only reason people see it as a panic move or as a last resort is because their own opinion of Darnold is bad, but you have to remember they don't necessarily see players the way fans do.

Whether they'll wind up being right or wrong about him is a separate question, but I don't have any doubt that this was a choice they made not out of desperation or panic.

To tell the truth, the more interesting question to me is just how deeply Matt Rhule believes in his "low hit rate" statement about first round quarterbacks.

Our old buddy John Fox didn't believe in using high picks on quarterbacks. He preferred to just sign somebody that another team had developed (and who fit his preferred profile, of course).

How will Panther fans feel if Matt Rhule has a similar philosophy?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: The guy you're talking to was a big Marty defender, but I'm guessing he probably doesn't want to admit that now 😄

A lot of folks on here haven't been around long enough to know it, but I was pretty much the same with both Marty and Gettleman when they first started out. Might have been a little more optimistic with Gettleman given his background (and that he wasn't Marty).

But yeah, I gave Marty a chance too. Was on board after the early successes, but around 2009 or so I really started to lose faith. I think it was about then that I looked back at five years or so of drafts and realized our drafting under Marty was pretty bad.

And of course, it didn't get any better.

As to what you call "the current crowd", they do have the "not Marty" thing going for them, and Fitterer has a pretty solid resumé. Outside of that though, still yet to be seen. I overall like the moves so far, but that's just gut feeling.

We'll see what happens when it's actually put the test.

We aren't gonna know for a few seasons anyway. All we can do is hope.

24 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I agree.  I may be more concerned about Elflein than Erving.

Either of them could lose a starting spot in camp.

Elflein is absolutely a guy I would have been interested in a few years ago.

I've said before though that I'm not a big fan of signing guys because they used to be good.

So here's hoping...