• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Heads up for Phizer vaccine takers

RenoCarolina

Missouri has been leading the nation in new cases of the Delta variant for a few weeks now and, as a state, have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the entire country. A vast majority of the population in the rural portions of the state still believe it's a hoax. 

While I understand family and parents and grandkids and all that, I can assure you that although I recovered from COVID in November last year and had both my Moderna vaccinations in March I would not purposefully have put myself in that situation regardless.

People wear helmets and still get head injuries, firemen wear protective gear and still get burned on occasion, beekeepers wear their outfits and still get stung once in a while.

The vaccines are primarily to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, which they've been incredibly successful with accomplishing seeing the recent statistics regarding hospitalizations and deaths from COVID-19 over the last couple of months.

J&J's vaccine was killed over its efficacy, but they tested it against the mutating strands in Brazil + South Africa. Deaths and hospitalizations were still dramatically reduced. I haven't read up as much on the Pfizer and Moderna trials but I don't believe they were as proactive in checking against variants (though I could be wrong, but I know that was a major reason behind the J&J stuff).

I was partial to J&Js already since I had a family member that was the CIO for their Pharmaceutical Research & Development department and I interned there a cpl of times myself (though I was with their Networking & Computer Services division).

On 7/7/2021 at 12:43 PM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

In Britain, researchers reported in May that two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine had an effectiveness of 88 percent protecting against symptomatic disease from Delta. A June study from Scotland concluded that the vaccine was 79 percent effective against the variant. On Saturday, a team of researchers in Canada pegged its effectiveness at 87 percent.

Fortunately, all the studies so far agree that most Covid-19 vaccines are very effective at keeping people out of the hospital and have generally protected against the Delta variant. Israel’s Ministry of Health estimated that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is about 93 percent effective in preventing serious illness and hospitalization.

“Their overall implications are consistent: that protection against severe disease remains very high,” said Naor Bar-Zeev, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/science/Israel-Pfizer-covid-vaccine.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Wifey and I are just getting over something. I felt crappy for 3 days, it's knocked her out for a week, although she's improving. She did two BinaxNow kits and came back negative, but I'm still wondering. Maybe it doesn't work on the Delta Variant? If it's a summer cold, it's a bitch. Anyway, even though we're both vaxxed, I bet she'll stop teasing me for wearing my mask in the grocery store.

8 hours ago, Captroop said:

Wifey and I are just getting over something. I felt crappy for 3 days, it's knocked her out for a week, although she's improving. She did two BinaxNow kits and came back negative, but I'm still wondering. Maybe it doesn't work on the Delta Variant? If it's a summer cold, it's a bitch. Anyway, even though we're both vaxxed, I bet she'll stop teasing me for wearing my mask in the grocery store.

Those kits work on Delta. Used them two days ago and still one positive and one negative in our house. 

8 hours ago, Zod said:

I think I will listen to the cumulative data and not anecdotal. 

That’s admirable but no reason to ignore general observations. Concerts are back, bars and restaurants are back, football is on the way back, mask use is way down, 40ish % are vaccinated (which basically says most are still not) and the Delta variant is kicking ass and taking names even with those vaccinated. No one wants to hear this but all the ingredients are in place for another shutdown this fall.  

14 hours ago, RenoCarolina said:

That’s admirable but no reason to ignore general observations. Concerts are back, bars and restaurants are back, football is on the way back, mask use is way down, 40ish % are vaccinated (which basically says most are still not) and the Delta variant is kicking ass and taking names even with those vaccinated. No one wants to hear this but all the ingredients are in place for another shutdown this fall.  

Only reason for the shutdown last year was we didn't have a vaccine. We have a vaccine now that curbs the death rate. No reason for a shutdown. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

That's not at all what that says. Spreads FROM vaccinated people as readily, not TO. Breakthrough cases are still uncommon and the vaccines are proving to do a great job of preventing serious illness in those breakthrough cases. All they're saying is that the individuals with breakthrough cases are just as contagious as the unvaccinated. Meanwhile, the percentage of COVID patients in hospitals that are unvaccinated are very near the 100% mark. That's a far cry from "useless".

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's not at all what that says. Spreads FROM vaccinated people as readily, not TO. Breakthrough cases are still uncommon and the vaccines are proving to do a great job of preventing serious illness in those breakthrough cases. All they're saying is that the individuals with breakthrough cases are just as contagious as the unvaccinated. Meanwhile, the percentage of COVID patients in hospitals that are unvaccinated are very near the 100% mark. That's a far cry from "useless".

All I see is vaccine does not prevent covid.