• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Off-Season Overview

CarolinaLivin

The article actually discusses both the panthers and saints as we (obviously) play two times a year. First game at home (week 2) and last game of the season on the road (week 17). So let's jump into our off-season and how they believe we matchup against the saints. The link is below.

Link: https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/saints-2021-schedule-panthers-sam-darnold-christian-mccaffrey/

Expectations for Carolina

The Panthers added quarterback Sam Darnold via trade from the New York Jets at the beginning of the offseason (more on that in a minute). The shift from Teddy Bridgewater to Darnold has conveyed their desire for more upside in Darnold over a known floor in Bridgewater, which could play well with offensive coordinator Joe Brady’s ideas as a play caller.

On top of adding Darnold, Carolina will see the return of its All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey from season-ending injuries. The expectation is that the offense should be explosive this season, but it’s all hypothetical until all the pieces actually come together.

Carolina has the ability, in theory, to compete in a division that features three teams with a ton of question marks surrounding each of them. This first matchup against the new-look Saints will be an important test for both sides.

Free Agency/Trades

Carolina was quite active in free agency as they freed up cap space at the beginning of the offseason. However, the Panthers did not make a move for a “big” name and instead opted to sign a number of low-cost players that could pay out big this season.

Most notable is former Saints tight end Dan Arnold, who had a good year with the Arizona Cardinals (totaling 31 receptions for 438 yards, with 4 touchdown catches). The Panthers also added linebacker Denzel Perryman, defensive end Haason Reddick, and wide receiver David Moore. 

The free agent additions helped shore up defensive shortcomings while also providing additional depth on the offense. Yet, the biggest acquisition came via trade and is one we already talked about: Sam Darnold.

The Southern California product was highly touted when he entered the league, but was unable to find much success with the floundering Jets. He is a perfect “change of scenery” candidate, especially under Brady’s tutelage. If he can play to his full potential and become what he was expected to be when he was drafted with the third overall pick in 2018, then the rest of the NFC South may have some catching up to do.

2021 NFL draft

• First round, 8th overall: CB Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
  • Second round, 59th overall: WR Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
  • Third round, 70th overall: OT Brady Christensen, BYU

The general consensus is that Carolina had a fantastic draft. They secured the best cornerback in the draft with Horn, added another weapon for Darnold in Marshall, and added much-needed offensive line depth in Christensen. After investing heavily in their defense through last year’s draft, the Panthers’ patient approach could pay off.

Out of their entire draft class, they may have found three immediate starters. Carolina clearly drafted for need, but were shrewd in their ability to ascertain when to trade back and capitalized on the positions that were deep in the draft.

Key Losses

There were quite a few fringe and depth-type players that ended up seeing the end of their time with Carolina this offseason. The Panthers most notable losses were on the offensive side of the ball with receivers Curtis Samuel and Pharoh Cooper, plus backup running back Mike Davis, and a number of offensive linemen that made up the majority of their depth.

However, Carolina addressed the holes through their key additions through either the draft, free agency or trade

Matchup History (Panthers Vs. Saints)

These two NFC South teams go way back. New Orleans and Carolina have met 53 times, including a playoff game (that the Saints won). The series is currently split 28-25 in the Saints’ favor. However, New Orleans was able to take both games last season to pull ahead in the overall series record.

The Panthers are a notoriously pesky team to play for the Saints, as they almost always play up to their divisional rivals. This season should be no different.

With Jameis Winston (likely) leading the charge for New Orleans and Darnold for the Panthers, both of these “new look” teams have a lot to answer for and even more to prove. With the first divisional matchup so early in the season, many of those questions will be answered while the season is still in its infancy. Buckle up.

Edited by CarolinaLivin
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 2

Personally, I like the moves we made. We may have not made the "splash" or "big" moves some may have wanted, but we still made good moves to lead us in the right direction. The Panthers FO are taking a very patient approach and I like it. This approach allows some of our gambles to not work and still not harm our rebuild. Mainly because of how our cap will look in the next couple of years. We have added depth and drafted star potential players. Some of the depth players may not work, but next year we can replace them with the dumpster truck of money we will have. I am excited, not just for this year but for the future of carolina. Right now (the jury is still out on this), I believe the panthers are in good hands with Matt Rhule and company.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Keep hearing the "we didn't make a BIG move in free agency".  True, but we were damn sure trying.

Between Watson and Stafford we were willing to risk a LOT to try and win sooner rather than later.  We were trying our asses off, and were it not for Watson needing massages air mailed to him, we would all be singing a different tune right now, and who knows where Sam would be.

More excited about this team than any for some time now.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Keep hearing the "we didn't make a BIG move in free agency".  True, but we were damn sure trying.

Between Watson and Stafford we were willing to risk a LOT to try and win sooner rather than later.  We were trying our asses off, and were it not for Watson needing massages air mailed to him, we would all be singing a different tune right now, and who knows where Sam would be.

More excited about this team than any for some time now.

I think what we did was the right move. We needed depth and multiple players to improve the roster and fill holes. I think the splash moves will come next year. May only be one or two, but may be all we need. We have several players that have all the tools needed to make a jump this year. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaLivin said:

I think what we did was the right move. We needed depth and multiple players to improve the roster and fill holes. I think the splash moves will come next year. May only be one or two, but may be all we need. We have several players that have all the tools needed to make a jump this year. 

IF Watson plays this season, and it's not looking great, he should have all of this behind him by next season...Rodgers is going to get traded next year, and Russell very well be on the block next season as well.

If Sam isn't it, we can still go make a BIG splash if we think we are close.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

"Change of Scenery" is a cliche' because it can be true. Folks who pish paw Sam's ability to bounce back may be well served to remember this.

I love this part.   "The Southern California product was highly touted when he entered the league, but was unable to find much success with the floundering Jets. He is a perfect “change of scenery” candidate, especially under Brady’s tutelage. If he can play to his full potential and become what he was expected to be when he was drafted with the third overall pick in 2018, then the rest of the NFC South may have some catching up to do."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, bythenbrs said:

Pie for 'pish paw'...

It's my grandmothers. Instead of cursing she would say pish paw. She was a little bitty thing, and when she got excited or mad. Out came the pish paw. She was something. Had to stand on a step stool to cook on the old cast iron stove. lol

• Pie 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:58 PM, iamhubby1 said:

"Change of Scenery" is a cliche' because it can be true. Folks who pish paw Sam's ability to bounce back may be well served to remember this.

Yup.

" He is a perfect “change of scenery” candidate, especially under Brady’s tutelage. If he can play to his full potential and become what he was expected to be when he was drafted with the third overall pick in 2018, then the rest of the NFC South may have some catching up to do."

If ever a reclaim project should work, its this one.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yup.

If ever a reclaim project should work, its this one.

"Change of Scenery" is a cliche', because it's true. It happens quite often. But man, there are quite a few Huddlers who are absolutely convinced that Sam is going to fail.

He is stepping into a situation that is absolutely taylor made for him. Talent at the skill positions. OC with the ability to scheme to Sam's strengths. A Coach who is perfect for this process. The only negative for Sam's success is the Oline. If they can be adequate, or even better, Sam may just show out.

With Training Camp just 2 weeks away. It is the perfect time to be excited for the year to come. Football is in the air. That is defiantly something to smile about.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

The only negative for Sam's success is the Oline. If they can be adequate, or even better, Sam may just show out.

We (and that includes me) are all worried about the oline without even knowing who is where.

I bet we're concerned about something else come mid season.

• Beer 1

Just now, SBBlue said:

We (and that includes me) are all worried about the oline without even knowing who is where.

I bet we're concerned about something else come mid season.

I guess I am not as concerned about the Oline as most folks. We were middle of the pack last year, and we should be even better this year.

Paradis, Miller, and Moton have the right side locked down. Put BChris at LG, and that is a heckofa start.

Throw everyone else at LT. Add in Tremble, and we should be able to compete.

Easy Peasy.

• Pie 1